bar

Not a desireable platform.

1. Video - LCD not good at refresh rates
2. Video - on board graphics cards too slow
3. Video - on board uses system memory
4. Memory Capacity - limited versus Desktops
5. HIDs - only one USB port, what about joysticks, flight controles etc?

Given all of that: find a Laptop that has the best solutions for all the
above!

"John" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend the best gaming notebook for under $2,000?

There is only one manufacturer that I know that has a "gaming" notebook.
Alienware makes a laptop but it is not under $2000.00.

> Not a desireable platform.
>
> 1. Video - LCD not good at refresh rates
> 2. Video - on board graphics cards too slow
> 3. Video - on board uses system memory
> 4. Memory Capacity - limited versus Desktops
> 5. HIDs - only one USB port, what about joysticks, flight controles etc?
>
> Given all of that: find a Laptop that has the best solutions for all the
> above!
>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend the best gaming notebook for under $2,000?

There are lots of manufacturers that make "gaming" notebooks, some more
successful than others. The top right now are Alienware, Falcon Northwest,
VoodooPC, and Dell (the Inspiron XPS Gen 2. Nay sayers look here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzU3)

The screen size is really your preference. Not every game supports
widescreen so you might see black bands on the left & right sides (like
watching 4:3 TV shows on an HDTV.)

The video card is what makes it. The ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 and above are
the only suitable ATI graphics cards that come close to desktop performance.
The new NVidia 6800 Go is insanely fast for a notebook GPU. Their 4xx Go
series are not good.

The Dell Inspiron 9300 (the non-gaming version of the XPS) can be setup with
a 6800 Go, 1.6 GHz, 60 GB HD, DVD writer & 1 GB RAM for $2016 after this
weeks coupon.

"John" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend the best gaming notebook for under $2,000?

What's the price of the Acer Ferrari in the US? These prices are in Euro
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/popups/prodinfo.php?id=11839

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Rube" <dont@spam.me> kirjoitti viestissä
> There are lots of manufacturers that make "gaming" notebooks, some more
> successful than others. The top right now are Alienware, Falcon Northwest,
> VoodooPC, and Dell (the Inspiron XPS Gen 2. Nay sayers look here:
> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzU3)
>
> The screen size is really your preference. Not every game supports
> widescreen so you might see black bands on the left & right sides (like
> watching 4:3 TV shows on an HDTV.)
>
> The video card is what makes it. The ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 and above
are
> the only suitable ATI graphics cards that come close to desktop
performance.
> The new NVidia 6800 Go is insanely fast for a notebook GPU. Their 4xx Go
> series are not good.
>
> The Dell Inspiron 9300 (the non-gaming version of the XPS) can be setup
with
> a 6800 Go, 1.6 GHz, 60 GB HD, DVD writer & 1 GB RAM for $2016 after this
> weeks coupon.
>
> "John" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone recommend the best gaming notebook for under $2,000?

Approx $1900. Its an "older" design and not widescreen. Looks nice though
;-)
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115154&ATT=Notebooks&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r