external hard drive write delay fail

hey guys
today i was saving a file to my external usb 2.0 200 gig hard drive and
it came up with a write delay fail, now my hard drive is inaccessible
and norton partition magic says that the whole drive is used, when
infact only about 50 gig is used. i cant check the disk because windows
xp pro no longer recognises it. when i have the drive turned on my hole
computer slows down and certain things dont work, but as soon as i turn
the drive off everything works fine.
i am running widows xp SP2 amd athelon 3400+ 1 gig ram, nvidia 6600,
sounblaster live 5.1 and i have a couple of external hard drives hooked
up via usb 2.0
any help would be great

cheers

trev

bar

And this is a Maxtor USB drive?

If so, then the drive is FUBAR. [forever useless, beyond all repair]

If you are still covered by warranty get it replaced.

"Trevor and Tabitha" wrote:

> hey guys
> today i was saving a file to my external usb 2.0 200 gig hard drive and
> it came up with a write delay fail, now my hard drive is inaccessible
> and norton partition magic says that the whole drive is used, when
> infact only about 50 gig is used. i cant check the disk because windows
> xp pro no longer recognises it. when i have the drive turned on my hole
> computer slows down and certain things dont work, but as soon as i turn
> the drive off everything works fine.
> i am running widows xp SP2 amd athelon 3400+ 1 gig ram, nvidia 6600,
> sounblaster live 5.1 and i have a couple of external hard drives hooked
> up via usb 2.0
> any help would be great
>
> cheers
>
> trev