Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Soyo customer service

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 6, 2004 9:00:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

Having purchased a new SY-7vma-b Mobo from Soyo, I was excited about
upgrading my system. That is, until the system began crashing. After
several emails to the company, several downloads of "upgrades" (which
did not work), I was told the mobo will not work with MS XP due to "a
limitation of the BIOS core, and cannot be upgraded" , And, their
recomendation was: "We would suggest you to downgrade your o/s..."
What a way to assist a consumer ! Needless to say, this board is
being returned to the dealer and replaced.

More about : soyo customer service

April 6, 2004 1:09:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

"Chris" <chris37c@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:417d145f.0404060400.38f76b74@posting.google.com...
> I was told the mobo will not work with MS XP due to "a
> limitation of the BIOS core, and cannot be upgraded" , And, their
> recomendation was: "We would suggest you to downgrade your o/s..."

Qoute "Compatibilities:Win2000 / WinME / Win98SE / Win95 / Linux" from
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=126

This board appears to have started production in mid 2000 and should work
fine with Windows XP. I have installed XP on motherboards dating back early
1998 and using AMD K6-2's.

Give full hardware specs. of machine and full report of errors, problems or
crashes and we me be able to help you.

Frank
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2004 4:13:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

I'm no fan of Soyo's service, but it does say RIGHT
ON THE SOYO WEB SITE at

http://www.soyo.com.tw/products/proddesc.php?id=126 that the board is

compatible with Win95 98 Me 2000 and Linux

They don't claim to support XP at all.

A number of older BIOSes are not XP compatible.

Your gripe is with:

1) Bill Gates
2) They guy who bought the board without checking

Now if your vendor is NICE they'll take it back, but they
are also within their rights to say 'You bought a non-XP
compatible product which was documented as such. Too bad,
try Linux.'



chris37c@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote in message news:<417d145f.0404060400.38f76b74@posting.google.com>...
> Having purchased a new SY-7vma-b Mobo from Soyo, I was excited about
> upgrading my system. That is, until the system began crashing. After
> several emails to the company, several downloads of "upgrades" (which
> did not work), I was told the mobo will not work with MS XP due to "a
> limitation of the BIOS core, and cannot be upgraded" , And, their
> recomendation was: "We would suggest you to downgrade your o/s..."
> What a way to assist a consumer ! Needless to say, this board is
> being returned to the dealer and replaced.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2004 4:53:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

On 6 Apr 2004 12:13:38 -0700, greg@bullough.org (Greg B) wrote:

>I'm no fan of Soyo's service,

I'll attest to that. <g>

>but it does say RIGHT ON THE SOYO WEB SITE at

>http://www.soyo.com.tw/products/proddesc.php?id=126 that the board is

>compatible with Win95 98 Me 2000 and Linux

Probably says that on the box, too.

>They don't claim to support XP at all.
>
>A number of older BIOSes are not XP compatible.
>
>Your gripe is with:
>
>1) Bill Gates
>2) They guy who bought the board without checking
>
>Now if your vendor is NICE they'll take it back, but they
>are also within their rights to say 'You bought a non-XP
>compatible product which was documented as such. Too bad,
>try Linux.'

Be interesting to find out--he said 'from SOYO'; now if the board was
bought from SOYO, we'll learn something.

--
-denny-

Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
--David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2004 1:06:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

Denny Wheeler <dennyw@TANSTAAFL.zipcon.net.INVALID> wrote in message news:<aoc770hsff3kammh2fd7k5i5t82ssef24r@4ax.com>...
>
> Be interesting to find out--he said 'from SOYO'; now if the board was
> bought from SOYO, we'll learn something.

I suppose it does sort of push the bounds of common sense to
continue to sell a board (other than at bargain-basement prices
with disclaimers all over it) that won't run XP.

It just seems your going to take more of a hit on returns than
you could possibly make. Putting the remainder of them in a box
and shoving them over a cliff might be a good approach :-)
Alternatively, maybe remainder them off via ads in one of
the Linux magazines.

Greg
!