Dvd/CD Drives Dissapeared v2

Hi again, My drives are still gone and now I think I have tried everything
available on the net and in forums for help, And unfortunately nothing
works...So I have another question to ask..

If I format my C drive and reinstall windows, Would the drives reappear? I
ask this because they dont show in the BIOS eith and they ARE hooked into the
Mobo, And the 2nd controller works as I switched my HDD controller into 2 and
it detected them, So yea I was wondering if it was worth either 1. Format and
reinstall windows, Or overwrite XP again i.e. install over the top, And hope
it fixes it...
Thanks to Gallen and - Bob I for their initial help, but no luck there guyz
:-(

This is my original post -

Hey Guyz, My Drives have dissapeared, They dont show in My Computer, Device
manager, BIOS or BIOS Start-up (Safe-Mode & Normal)

My specs are -

Win XP Pro
P4 2.66
512 MB Ram
1 x 20Gb Western Digital HDD
1 x 120gb Maxtor HDD
A-Open DVD +- R/RW
Artec CD-RW
Floppy Drive

I have/Had Nero 6 on the PC but 2 days ago, I tried to write a disk and
nothing happened, I thought something may have conflicted with it somewhere
so I restarted and the drives dissapeared, So I uninstalled Nero thinking it
was that and re-installed it, No luck, I uninstalled it again and restarted
and the drives were still gone.

Last night I tried swapping IDE 1 & 2 controllers with my HDD's and no luck,
The HDD's did read from the 2nd controller but the drives were not detected
in the 1st one, Thinging the ribbon cable was gone I replaced that with a new
one I recieved with my Mobo, and still no luck.

I then rolled the system back to a previous restoration point and that didnt
work either.

After all this I took the 'net and tried the few things I could find, I have
tried one of the things from another post in this forum, About deleting some
registry entries, But this hasn't seemed to work either, Although when I did
go though my registry i could only find LOWERFILTERS and could not locate the
UPPERFILTERS entry anywhere inside, unless this is under a different registry
entry, I don't know, But I'm at wits end and I'm hoping one of you guyz can
help me out here

First thing I would try is changing the ribbon cable. If the BIOS doesn't
see them, then Windows CANNOT see them.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"-Az-" <-Az-@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> new
> one I recieved with my Mobo, and still no luck.
>
> I then rolled the system back to a previous restoration point and that
> didnt
> work either.
>
> After all this I took the 'net and tried the few things I could find, I
> have
> tried one of the things from another post in this forum, About deleting
> some
> registry entries, But this hasn't seemed to work either, Although when I
> did
> go though my registry i could only find LOWERFILTERS and could not locate
> the
> UPPERFILTERS entry anywhere inside, unless this is under a different
> registry
> entry, I don't know, But I'm at wits end and I'm hoping one of you guyz

That indicates a hardware problem. If they were working and suddenly
disappeared and the IDE controller works and the cable is good, that
leaves the drive itself. If both are getting power, I would try setting
the one that is presently the slave as Master and plug it in to the end
of the IDE cable by itself and see if it shows up, then try the same
with present Master. That to determine if one or both are dead.