Would be great on Battle Zone.
14
answers
Last reply
More about joystick button

    HP wrote:
    > Anyone make/sell one?
    >
    > Would be great on Battle Zone.

    Try to find an old Wico 'Bat' or 'Ball'. I had a bat with my old AppleII
    and loved it. Sorry I sold it with the computer all those years ago.
    Ebay's your friend.

    Jason

    HP wrote:
    > Anyone make/sell one?
    >
    > Would be great on Battle Zone.

    The problem is most joysticks will be 4 or 8 way and Battlezone had two 2
    way joysticks. It depends on how much you want to spend for this sort of
    project. I am going to use a joystick from an old Coleco Combat, a 70s
    era home Tank game, it should work great. Another option is use a couple
    of joysticks and mount it with this handles from Happ.
    http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/50250800.htm

    In article <JPd4e.12368$Vx1.8765@attbi_s01>,
    Quantum Leaper <leaper@bigfoot.com> wrote:
    >The problem is most joysticks will be 4 or 8 way and Battlezone had two 2
    >way joysticks. It depends on how much you want to spend for this sort of
    >project. I am going to use a joystick from an old Coleco Combat, a 70s
    >era home Tank game, it should work great. Another option is use a couple
    >of joysticks and mount it with this handles from Happ.

    What I did was setup the MAME inputs so it works with an 8-way
    joystick. See

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.mame/msg/aea98582e8b8ad6b

    --
    Please see my arcade and pinball items for sale:
    http://www.videoracer.com/forsale/

    Dead_Dad wrote:
    > HP wrote:
    > > Anyone make/sell one?
    > >
    > > Would be great on Battle Zone.

    you are going to go duh

    but i used a crane game joystick they come 4 way only with a kind of
    horrible + shape so you cant play pac man very well but i took it apart
    and reamed it out and now its a slick 8 way with a button on top

    too bad they are not the standard joy rectangular 4 bolt mount it is a
    small square

    but we all custom modders out there so no biggie

    HP wrote:
    > Anyone make/sell one?
    >
    > Would be great on Battle Zone.

    These (http://tinyurl.com/3uema) should be /ideal/ for you. I still
    have (and use) my GAJ that I bought in 1984. They are built like a
    <AHEM> tank. <G>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    2000man@wongfaye.com wrote:
    > Dead_Dad wrote:
    >
    >>HP wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone make/sell one?
    >>>
    >>>Would be great on Battle Zone.
    >>>

    > you are going to go duh
    >
    > but i used a crane game joystick they come 4 way only with a kind of
    > horrible + shape so you cant play pac man very well but i took it apart
    > and reamed it out and now its a slick 8 way with a button on top
    >
    > too bad they are not the standard joy rectangular 4 bolt mount it is a
    > small square
    >
    > but we all custom modders out there so no biggie

    True, but you can't beat the shear /comfort/ of the GAJ's padded handle
    & ergonomic shape, as well as the ability to switch the button between
    'A' and 'B'.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in news:%5n4e.897329$Xk.152812
    @pd7tw3no:

    > True, but you can't beat the shear /comfort/ of the GAJ's padded handle
    > & ergonomic shape, as well as the ability to switch the button between
    > 'A' and 'B'.

    So how do you connect two gameport-style Gravis Advanced Joysticks to a
    single PC, each with its own distinct outputs? Do you need to find a dual-
    gameport PCI card or something?

    Hung N wrote:
    > Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in news:%5n4e.897329$Xk.152812
    > @pd7tw3no:
    >

    >>True, but you can't beat the shear /comfort/ of the GAJ's padded handle
    >>& ergonomic shape, as well as the ability to switch the button between
    >>'A' and 'B'.
    >

    > So how do you connect two gameport-style Gravis Advanced Joysticks to a
    > single PC, each with its own distinct outputs? Do you need to find a dual-
    > gameport PCI card or something?

    Here's the actual port pinout (http://tinyurl.com/6nlxt), so you can
    make up your own cable. (If you don't want to use a Y-cable).

    --

    >> So how do you connect two gameport-style Gravis Advanced Joysticks to a
    >> single PC, each with its own distinct outputs? Do you need to find a
    >> dual- gameport PCI card or something?
    >
    > Here's the actual port pinout (http://tinyurl.com/6nlxt), so you can
    > make up your own cable. (If you don't want to use a Y-cable).

    Ahhh, so a Y-cable would be the non-gearhead way to combine two sticks AND
    maintain separate signals? Sounds good, in a non-USB kind of way. :-)

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:00:58 GMT, Hung N <find@my.crack> wrote:

    >Dead_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in
    >
    >>> So how do you connect two gameport-style Gravis Advanced Joysticks to a
    >>> single PC, each with its own distinct outputs? Do you need to find a
    >>> dual- gameport PCI card or something?
    >>
    >> Here's the actual port pinout (http://tinyurl.com/6nlxt), so you can
    >> make up your own cable. (If you don't want to use a Y-cable).
    >
    >Ahhh, so a Y-cable would be the non-gearhead way to combine two sticks AND
    >maintain separate signals? Sounds good, in a non-USB kind of way. :-)

    "Nowadays the most common analogue joystick type is PC analogue
    joystick. This joystick model was presented by IBM together with their
    first IBM PC computer. The joystick is just a basic analogue joystick
    with two buttons. The original joystick interface had circuit for
    connecting two joysticks, but had only one joystick connector. A
    special Y-cable was needed if there was need for two joysticks at the
    same time. Later time some manufacturers put two connectors to their
    interface card and some card manufacturers implemented only one
    joystick input. Fortunately most of the card nowadays have option for
    two joysticks like the original IBM joystick card."

    http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystick/pc_joystick.html

    the problem is that the 15 pin joy port is only meant to handle 4 axis
    and 4 buttons

    4 button gamepads steal 2 buttons from the second joystick
    6 button pads steal teh 2 buttons form joy 2 and the 2 axis and uses
    them as an on or off

    a company made a gameport card called the lightning 4 or somthing like
    that but they stopped since it was a 16 bit card and didnt have a
    future

    it gave 8 buttons and 8 axis which is really good if you want analog
    porportional imputs

    but not many games use analog directions i think the only things
    analog are used for are throttle brakin and steering

    and they can be used with spinner type controls

    2000man@wongfaye.com wrote:
    > the problem is that the 15 pin joy port is only meant to handle 4 axis
    > and 4 buttons
    >
    > 4 button gamepads steal 2 buttons from the second joystick
    > 6 button pads steal teh 2 buttons form joy 2 and the 2 axis and uses
    > them as an on or off

    ......and that's why you:

    1) Buy an /original IBM AT/ PS/2 keyboard. (The one with individual
    switches for each key - they are n-key rollover.)
    2) Mount a DB25 port on the back.
    3) Run one wire from ground to pin 25 (or whatever) on the port, and
    24 wires from the keys of your choice to the other pins.
    4) Wire a matching plug to your controls.

    Voila; 28 buttons! That's enough for three controllers (two analog, one
    digital) with six buttons apiece, three start buttons, two pinball
    flippers, and a menu button! If that's not enough, just wire another port.

    Make sure that you use a PS/2 port, NOT a USB port. The USB standard
    only allows for six-key rollover, which is sufficient for Braille, but
    not MAME. (Those selfish /*bastards*/ <G>)

    > a company made a gameport card called the lightning 4 or somthing like
    > that but they stopped since it was a 16 bit card and didnt have a
    > future
    >
    > it gave 8 buttons and 8 axis which is really good if you want analog
    > porportional imputs

    If you can't find (or don't want to bother with) the above idea, maybe
    this (http://tinyurl.com/6s84p) is what you are looking for.

    > but not many games use analog directions i think the only things
    > analog are used for are throttle brakin and steering
    >
    > and they can be used with spinner type controls

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:31:24 GMT, Dead_Dad
    <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:

    >2000man@wongfaye.com wrote:
    >> the problem is that the 15 pin joy port is only meant to handle 4 axis
    >> and 4 buttons
    >>
    >> 4 button gamepads steal 2 buttons from the second joystick
    >> 6 button pads steal teh 2 buttons form joy 2 and the 2 axis and uses
    >> them as an on or off
    >
    >.....and that's why you:
    >
    >1) Buy an /original IBM AT/ PS/2 keyboard. (The one with individual
    > switches for each key
    >- they are n-key rollover.)

    i've got one (mfg 1991 usa)...and it isn't

    >2) Mount a DB25 port on the back.
    >3) Run one wire from ground to pin 25 (or whatever) on the port, and
    > 24 wires from the keys of your choice to the other pins.
    >4) Wire a matching plug to your controls.
    >
    >Voila; 28 buttons! That's enough for three controllers (two analog, one
    >digital) with six buttons apiece, three start buttons, two pinball
    >flippers, and a menu button! If that's not enough, just wire another port.

    That won't work at all!
    Keyboards don't have a common ground for the inputs...that would
    require an expensive 100+ pin microcontroller to run it.
    Insted, they use a matrix. Typicaly something like 9*12. This birings
    the micro size down to a more resonable ~28 pins.

    I'm not saying that it's a bad idea though, exactly the opposite.
    There's nothing wrong with connecting arcade controls matrix style, to
    a keyboard, keyboard encoder or even the parallel port (see
    <http://groups.google.com.au/groups?&as_umsgid=hsnbp097dgfako60uilh43oiie3sn6jqoo@4ax.com>
    ).

    If connecting to a standard keyboard make sure the keyobard doesn't
    have a 'key blocking' "feature" and that it has a reasonable size key
    buffer. In all cases, to prevent 'key ghosting' diodes will have to be
    wired into the matrix at each junction.

    It requires a bit more thought than a simple ground + 1 wire per
    switch arangement but it's very cheap, esp for a huge "4 player
    fighter" setup. And it saves wire :)

    Tim Worthington wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:31:24 GMT, Dead_Dad
    > <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote:
    >

    >>2000man@wongfaye.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>the problem is that the 15 pin joy port is only meant to handle 4 axis
    >>>and 4 buttons
    >>>
    >>>4 button gamepads steal 2 buttons from the second joystick
    >>>6 button pads steal teh 2 buttons form joy 2 and the 2 axis and uses
    >>>them as an on or off
    >>
    >>.....and that's why you:
    >>
    >>1) Buy an /original IBM AT/ PS/2 keyboard. (The one with individual
    >> switches for each key
    >>- they are n-key rollover.)
    >

    > i've got one (mfg 1991 usa)...and it isn't

    Hmmmmm. Every one /I've/ used has been. Maybe a few models weren't.
    Mine even has the Windoze keys.

    >>2) Mount a DB25 port on the back.
    >>3) Run one wire from ground to pin 25 (or whatever) on the port, and
    >> 24 wires from the keys of your choice to the other pins.
    >>4) Wire a matching plug to your controls.
    >>
    >>Voila; 28 buttons! That's enough for three controllers (two analog, one
    >>digital) with six buttons apiece, three start buttons, two pinball
    >>flippers, and a menu button! If that's not enough, just wire another port.
    >

    > That won't work at all!
    > Keyboards don't have a common ground for the inputs...that would
    > require an expensive 100+ pin microcontroller to run it.
    > Insted, they use a matrix. Typicaly something like 9*12. This birings
    > the micro size down to a more resonable ~28 pins.
    >
    > I'm not saying that it's a bad idea though, exactly the opposite.
    > There's nothing wrong with connecting arcade controls matrix style, to
    > a keyboard, keyboard encoder or even the parallel port (see
    > <http://groups.google.com.au/groups?&as_umsgid=hsnbp097dgfako60uilh43oiie3sn6jqoo@4ax.com>
    > ).
    >
    > If connecting to a standard keyboard make sure the keyobard doesn't
    > have a 'key blocking' "feature" and that it has a reasonable size key
    > buffer. In all cases, to prevent 'key ghosting' diodes will have to be
    > wired into the matrix at each junction.
    >
    > It requires a bit more thought than a simple ground + 1 wire per
    > switch arangement but it's very cheap, esp for a huge "4 player
    > fighter" setup. And it saves wire :)

    <SIGH> Open mouth; remove foot; insert coffee......

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

Joystick Games Video Games