New Printer Replacement Please

TR

Greetings to all…..

I am new to this NG and don’t have a good knowledge as to how to look
back in time at previous messages so I apologize for probably covering
an old topic.

Through a stupid mistake of my own, I damaged my HP 952C beyond repair
(moving, printer in storage with carts installed, 130 degree heat in
storage, printer melt down)…. Enough said……

For a replacement I wish:
1. Photo printing (edge to edge would be nice)

2. 4x6 photo tray/feeder

3. Black cart for black printing (not using combo of color carts for
black only printing).

4. Refillable carts

5. Less than $250US

6. USB

I was refilling my HP carts with success except for the fact that the
heads would finally wear out after around 6-8 refills and a new cart
had to then be purchased. If the recommendations come is for a
printer that has built in heads, then my question is…. How long do the
heads last since you are not replacing them like you do with HP’s ?

I see from some of the past threads I was able to download that the
Canon i860 & i960 are getting a lot of recommending. Again, if this
is what is recommended, are there exact formula inks available for
refilling and how do those built in heads stand up?

While I will be printing photos and quality is required to some
extent, the quality desired is only for personal album display and
copies to pass around….. I do not seek commercial grade or hair
splitting quality.

All I want is a printer that gives decent photo’s, not at
temperamental as HP to refill, tech & driver support after the next
generation of models comes out, etc… etc…..

Best Regards & Thanks in advance…..
TR

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:18:26 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>For a replacement I wish:

Canon i965 (i960 in the USA I think). You won't be sorry. I bought
an epson - I was.

>printer that has built in heads, then my question is…. How long do the
>heads last since you are not replacing them like you do with HP’s?

Far more reliable and forgiving than epson, if you choose the right
refill ink. Formulabs is the one most often recommended.

>While I will be printing photos and quality is required to some
>extent, the quality desired is only for personal album display and
>copies to pass around….. I do not seek commercial grade or hair
>splitting quality.

Oh - the i860/i865 then. It's missing the two extra photo high
quality ink cartridges that the i960/i965 has. I don't think the
extra price of the i960 would be worth it for what you want.

>All I want is a printer that gives decent photo’s, not at
>temperamental as HP to refill, tech & driver support after the next
>generation of models comes out, etc… etc…..

Canon! I just got my i965 and printed some low-resolution images last
night. Despite only being 96 DPI or so, they look great! : )

Allan.

Douglas

The Canon i860 can be had from Amazon.com for about $110 shipped after
rebate.It is a bargain at that price! Canon inks are cheaper than the
others,and heads hold up well.The i960 is also a nice printer,but it seems
the i860 is all you need.It does have a snapshot paper cartridge also.
"TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
> Greetings to all...
>
> I am new to this NG and don't have a good knowledge as to how to look
> back in time at previous messages so I apologize for probably covering
> an old topic.
>
> Through a stupid mistake of my own, I damaged my HP 952C beyond repair
> (moving, printer in storage with carts installed, 130 degree heat in
> storage, printer melt down).. Enough said..
>
> For a replacement I wish:
> 1. Photo printing (edge to edge would be nice)
>
> 2. 4x6 photo tray/feeder
>
> 3. Black cart for black printing (not using combo of color carts for
> black only printing).
>
> 4. Refillable carts
>
> 5. Less than $250US
>
> 6. USB
>
> I was refilling my HP carts with success except for the fact that the
> heads would finally wear out after around 6-8 refills and a new cart
> had to then be purchased. If the recommendations come is for a
> printer that has built in heads, then my question is.. How long do the
> heads last since you are not replacing them like you do with HP's ?
>
> I see from some of the past threads I was able to download that the
> Canon i860 & i960 are getting a lot of recommending. Again, if this
> is what is recommended, are there exact formula inks available for
> refilling and how do those built in heads stand up?
>
> While I will be printing photos and quality is required to some
> extent, the quality desired is only for personal album display and
> copies to pass around... I do not seek commercial grade or hair
> splitting quality.
>
> All I want is a printer that gives decent photo's, not at
> temperamental as HP to refill, tech & driver support after the next
> generation of models comes out, etc. etc...
>
> Best Regards & Thanks in advance...
> TR

TR

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:41:35 +1000, Just Allan
<justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote:

>Formulabs is the one most often recommended.

I went to their web site (formulabs.com) and found that they don't
give out a lot of info on their bulk inks. I guess I am use to ink
sites that along with ink info, they give bulk quantity sizes, prices,
accessories, etc...... Is there anyone that sells the formulabs inks
that also has a good informative web site that you can order from?
Most of the reinking sites I have under my favorites don't really say
who makes their inks just that their inks are close to or exactly as
OEM which, of course, who knows who to believe.

The reason I care more about the ink now than before is that before, I
was reinking HP carts which after 6-8 reinkings you get new heads with
the replacement of the cart. If I am going to be getting this Canon
i860 or i960, then I have to make sure I am not running mismatched ink
through the heads since the Canon heads are built in and not part of
the cart (more permanent and more expensive to replace).

Also... what are these head cleaner carts I see on some reinking sites
for the Canon's......

Why do a lot of reinking sites not mention the i850, i860, i950 or
i960 models. As a matter of fact, a lot of reinking sites don't list
any of the "i" models of Canon's...... I'm assuming from what
reinking sites that do display the "i" models that the 850, 860, 950
and 960 models use BCI-6x carts.....

Another question on the Canon unrelated to reinking..... I am use to
the HP type paper feed (flat tray) which worked well even on heavy
bond papers. I notice that the Canon paper feed is more of a gravity
feed from the rear in an upright position. How does this work with
heavy bond papers?

Any issues with the i850, 860, 950 and 960 Canons out there?

As always.... Thanks in advance and Regards,
TR

TR wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:41:35 +1000, Just Allan
> <justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Formulabs is the one most often recommended.
>

> The reason I care more about the ink now than before is that before, I
> was reinking HP carts which after 6-8 reinkings you get new heads with
> the replacement of the cart. If I am going to be getting this Canon
> i860 or i960, then I have to make sure I am not running mismatched ink
> through the heads since the Canon heads are built in and not part of
> the cart (more permanent and more expensive to replace).
>
> Also... what are these head cleaner carts I see on some reinking sites
> for the Canon's......
>
> Why do a lot of reinking sites not mention the i850, i860, i950 or
> i960 models. As a matter of fact, a lot of reinking sites don't list
> any of the "i" models of Canon's......

Sounds like you've been visiting "one-ink-fits-all" websites.

Stay away from sites that don't offer specific inks formulated for
the "i" series printers (or others for that matter). Stay away from
anything labeled "universal" or "works in every printer".

> Another question on the Canon unrelated to reinking..... I am use to
> the HP type paper feed (flat tray) which worked well even on heavy
> bond papers. I notice that the Canon paper feed is more of a gravity
> feed from the rear in an upright position. How does this work with
> heavy bond papers?

I'd say the more or less straight paper path of Canon, Epson and
Lexmark printers stands less of a chance of jamming than HPs front
load "sharp bend" path printers. In fact, I've used very thick
cardboard-like papers in my Canon i850 that specifically warned "not
recommended for use with HP printers" (because of the way it feeds).

> Any issues with the i850, 860, 950 and 960 Canons out there?

I've had my Canon i850 since March of 2003 and have nothing but praise
for it. It's the first fully worthy printer I've ever owned. There is a
bit of banding with photos, depending what brands of paper I use. It's
slightly visible (by turning photo sideways) on Canon paper and really
visible on some generic papers I've tried. Others have stated that
they've seen no banding. So, go figure...

As for Canon's "gravity feed"... It's hardly gravity; the paper is
pulled in by rollers or something. It's basically jam proof compared
to my previous Lexmark Z55 and Epsons 500 and 740s, which when least
suspected would pull in a mouthful of paper like a hungry dog ;-).

It's really easy to refill, purrs like a cat with the bulk ink I use
(from Atlantic Inkjet, have you checked their website, they do list
the "i" series), never clogs, never jams, never complains, very silent.
My next printer will be another Canon, probably the i960, unless
they've discontinued the series by next year.

For the last 2 days I've been printing 4x6 and 5x7 (and one 8.5x11)
photos at the very highest resolution. After 69 photos I still haven't
received a low ink warning! Printer didn't scrap any (no funny marks
or spots) and no black roller marks on prints from ink on rollers when
feeding. These were all borderless. By the way, using bulk ink my cost
is about $5 per refill (of the 4 cartridges). I believe the newer i860
gives slightly superior prints because it uses 5 cartridges.

-Taliesyn

While we do not use Sension inks in our refill kits (they do
come in our cheap generic cartridges), we do have
extensive knowledge about the Canon printers.

Check this page for information about Canon Refilling
http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/technotes/index.html

And this one for refilling instructions for BCI-6 cartridges
http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/instructions/instructions.htm
(note that the instructions are not for OEM cartridges but can be adapted
for such if you wish)

The reason we do not use Sension inks is that we found them to be
highly unstable in extreme heat or cold, so we chose an alternate
co-manufacturer who offered the same quality output, but more
stability in bulk form. The quality of Sension inks is fine, just
as good as the manufacturer we use, it just came down
to a matter of economics (less ink waste).

--
WeInk.com Technical Support
Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:41:35 +1000, Just Allan
> <justallan@COLDhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Formulabs is the one most often recommended.
>
> I went to their web site (formulabs.com) and found that they don't
> give out a lot of info on their bulk inks. I guess I am use to ink
> sites that along with ink info, they give bulk quantity sizes, prices,
> accessories, etc...... Is there anyone that sells the formulabs inks
> that also has a good informative web site that you can order from?
> Most of the reinking sites I have under my favorites don't really say
> who makes their inks just that their inks are close to or exactly as
> OEM which, of course, who knows who to believe.
>
> The reason I care more about the ink now than before is that before, I
> was reinking HP carts which after 6-8 reinkings you get new heads with
> the replacement of the cart. If I am going to be getting this Canon
> i860 or i960, then I have to make sure I am not running mismatched ink
> through the heads since the Canon heads are built in and not part of
> the cart (more permanent and more expensive to replace).
>
> Also... what are these head cleaner carts I see on some reinking sites
> for the Canon's......
>
> Why do a lot of reinking sites not mention the i850, i860, i950 or
> i960 models. As a matter of fact, a lot of reinking sites don't list
> any of the "i" models of Canon's...... I'm assuming from what
> reinking sites that do display the "i" models that the 850, 860, 950
> and 960 models use BCI-6x carts.....
>
> Another question on the Canon unrelated to reinking..... I am use to
> the HP type paper feed (flat tray) which worked well even on heavy
> bond papers. I notice that the Canon paper feed is more of a gravity
> feed from the rear in an upright position. How does this work with
> heavy bond papers?
>
> Any issues with the i850, 860, 950 and 960 Canons out there?
>
> As always.... Thanks in advance and Regards,
> TR

monroe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

I like that simile. Thanks for the laugh.

I hear much about Atlantic . . . . think I will give them a try for my
i860.

--

Monroe

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <40F4914B.7090201@netscape.net>, taliesyn4@netscape.net says...
> > Why do a lot of reinking sites not mention the i850, i860, i950 or
> > i960 models. As a matter of fact, a lot of reinking sites don't list
> > any of the "i" models of Canon's......
>
> Sounds like you've been visiting "one-ink-fits-all" websites.
>
> Stay away from sites that don't offer specific inks formulated for
> the "i" series printers (or others for that matter). Stay away from
> anything labeled "universal" or "works in every printer".

Some ink sellers dont list anything past the S820 (or the S800) series of
Canon printer, but they do have the ink for the i950, i960 ect, as they use
the same ink as the S800 series printers.

A good example is www.inksupply.com. Last time I looked at their web site
they didn't list the "i" series in the "look up by model" listing, but if you
chose the S800, the header at the top of each ink choice listed the i950 and
i960 as using that particular ink.

That company does NOT sell "one size fits all" ink but they can be a little
lax about making it easy to find the proper ink.

If I hadn't known (from Canon) that the ink in the S820 was the same as the
ink in the i950/i960 I would not have found it on their site.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

TR

Well, thanks to all of you for being so kind as to answer most of my
questions, I have decided to go for the i960. Since it is only $40
more than the i860, I figure why not! That way I can have the best on
photo printouts if and when needed and no sense in getting the 860 and
then wishing for the 960 later.

I notice that the carts that come with the 860 are:
BCI-eBK
BCI-BK
BCI-6C
BCI-6M
BCI-6Y

And the 960 are:
BCI-BK
BCI-6C
BCI-6PC
BCI-6M
BCI-6PM
BCI-6Y

Okay, I know the additional 6PC and 6PM carts are for better photo
printing but what was that BCI-eBK cart that came with the 860 that
does not come with the 960?????

Also, anyone know anything about Comp-U-Plus Direct
http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=cnet.com&id=1002676
who is selling the 960 for $132 after rebate?

Best Regards,
TR

The i860 although listed by Canon as a photo-printer
is also equipped for archival high speed b&w text printing.
The BCI-3eBK is used for that purpose.

The i960, as a dedicated photo-printer, does not
have archival text printing capabilities.

So for $40 more you end up getting less. The
i960 does not offer significant increase in photo
printing capabilites over the i860 to justify the loss
of text capabilities and the extra cost for the 6th cartridge.

The main advantage to the i960 over the i860 is that
it is easier to custom profile different inks and papers, making it more
versatile for professionals who may have
special media needs.

--
> Well, thanks to all of you for being so kind as to answer most of my
> questions, I have decided to go for the i960. Since it is only $40
> more than the i860, I figure why not! That way I can have the best on
> photo printouts if and when needed and no sense in getting the 860 and
> then wishing for the 960 later.
>
> I notice that the carts that come with the 860 are:
> BCI-eBK
> BCI-BK
> BCI-6C
> BCI-6M
> BCI-6Y
>
> And the 960 are:
> BCI-BK
> BCI-6C
> BCI-6PC
> BCI-6M
> BCI-6PM
> BCI-6Y
>
> Okay, I know the additional 6PC and 6PM carts are for better photo
> printing but what was that BCI-eBK cart that came with the 860 that
> does not come with the 960?????
>
> Also, anyone know anything about Comp-U-Plus Direct
> http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=cnet.com&id=1002676
> who is selling the 960 for $132 after rebate?
>
> Best Regards,
> TR

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:35:44 GMT, "WeInk.com Technical Support"
<ink_N_O_S_P_A_M_support@WeN_o_S_P_A_M_Ink.com> wrote:

>The i860 although listed by Canon as a photo-printer
>is also equipped for archival high speed b&w text printing.
>The BCI-3eBK is used for that purpose.
>
>The i960, as a dedicated photo-printer, does not
>have archival text printing capabilities.
>
>So for $40 more you end up getting less. The
>i960 does not offer significant increase in photo
>printing capabilites over the i860 to justify the loss
>of text capabilities and the extra cost for the 6th cartridge.
>
>The main advantage to the i960 over the i860 is that
>it is easier to custom profile different inks and papers, making it more
>versatile for professionals who may have
>special media needs.

I highly disagree. The contrast transitions alone are more natural on
the 960. Overall, photos are much much better and more accurate in
color, especially shadows and other areas with neutral to black
transitions.

As far as text, the 960 in draft mode is just as fast as the 860 so
speed shouldnt be a factor at all and the quality is just as good.
More so, the 960 has the ability to print text beyond the 600dpi that
the 850 is limited too...

so with all that just to name a few things, I think the 960 is a much
better printer and its well worth the extra money especially with the
rebate still in effect.

Sorry, I run both of them. If you are seeing
a great difference it is because of the media being used.

With red river polar gloss, polar matte, and polar satin
both printers produce virtually identical prints. Only when
working in color ranges wider than sRGB does the i960
have any advantage at all.

Since the average user makes prints that work within the
sRGB color range, the i860 makes more sense economically.

Again, a professional can make more use out of the i960
than can the average user.

--
"beezer" <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:35:44 GMT, "WeInk.com Technical Support"
> <ink_N_O_S_P_A_M_support@WeN_o_S_P_A_M_Ink.com> wrote:
>
> >The i860 although listed by Canon as a photo-printer
> >is also equipped for archival high speed b&w text printing.
> >The BCI-3eBK is used for that purpose.
> >
> >The i960, as a dedicated photo-printer, does not
> >have archival text printing capabilities.
> >
> >So for $40 more you end up getting less. The
> >i960 does not offer significant increase in photo
> >printing capabilites over the i860 to justify the loss
> >of text capabilities and the extra cost for the 6th cartridge.
> >
> >The main advantage to the i960 over the i860 is that
> >it is easier to custom profile different inks and papers, making it more
> >versatile for professionals who may have
> >special media needs.
>

> I highly disagree. The contrast transitions alone are more natural on
> the 960. Overall, photos are much much better and more accurate in
> color, especially shadows and other areas with neutral to black
> transitions.
>
> As far as text, the 960 in draft mode is just as fast as the 860 so
> speed shouldnt be a factor at all and the quality is just as good.
> More so, the 960 has the ability to print text beyond the 600dpi that
> the 850 is limited too...
>
> so with all that just to name a few things, I think the 960 is a much
> better printer and its well worth the extra money especially with the
> rebate still in effect.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:39:43 GMT, "WeInk.com Technical Support"
<ink_N_O_S_P_A_M_support@WeN_o_S_P_A_M_Ink.com> wrote:

>Sorry, I run both of them. If you are seeing
>a great difference it is because of the media being used.
>
>With red river polar gloss, polar matte, and polar satin
>both printers produce virtually identical prints. Only when
>working in color ranges wider than sRGB does the i960
>have any advantage at all.
>
>Since the average user makes prints that work within the
>sRGB color range, the i860 makes more sense economically.
>
>Again, a professional can make more use out of the i960
>than can the average user.
>
>--
>WeInk.com Technical Support
>Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
>Toll Free Orders: 1-800-559-3465
>http://www.weink.com/
>Subscribe to our newsletter and
>get up to 15% off your order.

I run both as well and on quality paper as well. The difference may
not be that great or noticable to a typical customer but to a trained
eye it is very noticable

Text stops at 600 dpi no matter which printer
you are using. Higher resolutions are for graphics and photos only. Now text
which is printed as a graphic is printed at higher resolutions, and the i860
is capable of that as well.

The i860 prints at standard text resolution (600 DPI) at 22 pages per
minute. The i960 prints at 15 pages per minute. The i860 prints text using a
UV resistant pigment black ink, the i960 does not.

If these things are not important and you have an extra $40.00 by all means
one should get the i960. But if the extra color capability (Adobe RGB) is
not going to used and you don't want to keep a separate laser quality text
printer then one should save the $40.00 and get the i860.

--

wrote:

>I'd say the more or less straight paper path of Canon, Epson and
>Lexmark printers stands less of a chance of jamming than HPs front
>load "sharp bend" path printers.

Actually, I've found that Lexmark printers will jam on almost anything
whereas HP don't.

--

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

Hecate wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:50:03 -0400, Taliesyn <taliesyn4@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>

>>I'd say the more or less straight paper path of Canon, Epson and
>>Lexmark printers stands less of a chance of jamming than HPs front
>>load "sharp bend" path printers.
>

> Actually, I've found that Lexmark printers will jam on almost anything
> whereas HP don't.

You're right there, my error; I was thinking path and not machine. My
straight path Lexmark Z55 was pretty brutal with paper. The loading
would go haywire once in a while, jamming the printer. And more often
than not the printout was a tad crooked.

-Taliesyn

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:20:22 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
wrote:

>Well, thanks to all of you for being so kind as to answer most of my
>questions, I have decided to go for the i960. Since it is only $40
>more than the i860, I figure why not! That way I can have the best on
>photo printouts if and when needed and no sense in getting the 860 and
>then wishing for the 960 later.

Oh - and the i905 (in Australia) is the same as the i960, but with
some sockets for digital camera cards and a display screen. I
personally wouldn't buy one, as I hate the idea of the amount of dust
that would collect. (If you saw one and where the screen is, you'd
understand what I mean.)

>Okay, I know the additional 6PC and 6PM carts are for better photo
>printing but what was that BCI-eBK cart that came with the 860 that
>does not come with the 960?????

I thought I mentioned this... Oh well - it's a large black ink used
for better text quality on the i860. i960 main strength is photos -
i860 main strength is text. BUT - text on the i960 looks great to me.
Just as good or better than my epson was (when it was working fine for
the first couple of weeks, that is).

Allan.