file sharing help

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've got 2 computer's, one is a desktop, the other a laptop. I've got
internet acces through cable modem connected to my linksys wireless router.
My desktop is connected by cable to the router, my laptop, wireless. I set up
a home network through windows Home XP sp2. I enabled file & printer sharing
on both computers. From my desktop, I'm able to open laptop shared folder,
but not the other way around. From my laptop, I'm able to print and see
through my network places both computers, and when I click on my desktop, I
do see the shared folder, but when I clik on it, I get the following meesage:
Not enough server storage is available to process this command. I've modified
my firewall settings to enable file and printer sharing. What else could or
should I do?

Malke

Marc wrote:

> I've got 2 computer's, one is a desktop, the other a laptop. I've got
> internet acces through cable modem connected to my linksys wireless
> router. My desktop is connected by cable to the router, my laptop,
> wireless. I set up a home network through windows Home XP sp2. I
> enabled file & printer sharing on both computers. From my desktop, I'm
> able to open laptop shared folder, but not the other way around. From
> my laptop, I'm able to print and see through my network places both
> computers, and when I click on my desktop, I do see the shared folder,
> but when I clik on it, I get the following meesage: Not enough server
> storage is available to process this command. I've modified my
> firewall settings to enable file and printer sharing. What else could
> or should I do?

Thanks and credit to MVP Hans-George Michna:

This error indicates that you are falling foul of the IRPStackSize bug.
The problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect to, not the
machine where you see the error message. On the computer you are
attempting to connect to, check the event viewer for an event ID 2011.

Usual fix : You need to fix a parameter called IRPStackSize

On the computer you are attempting to connect to, Set the IRPStackSize
back to the default (15 ). Perform the following steps:

1. Start regedit.
2. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters.
3. Double-click IRPStackSize (or if this registry setting doesn't
exist, create it with type DWORD and ensure the case is correct).
4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 15, and click OK.
5. Reboot the computer.

Norton AV is usual suspect for breaking it. There's a KB article about
this, too:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177078

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Greetings Marc,

The problem is on the machine you are attempting to connect to. It's not on
the machine you see the error message. On the computer you are connecting,
check the Event Viewer for an Event ID 2011. If so, you need to fix the
IRPStackSize that is indicated in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article. Norton Antivirus can cause this to happen.

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;177078

_________________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Marc" <Marc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got 2 computer's, one is a desktop, the other a laptop. I've got
> internet acces through cable modem connected to my linksys wireless
> router.
> My desktop is connected by cable to the router, my laptop, wireless. I set
> up
> a home network through windows Home XP sp2. I enabled file & printer
> sharing
> on both computers. From my desktop, I'm able to open laptop shared folder,
> but not the other way around. From my laptop, I'm able to print and see
> through my network places both computers, and when I click on my desktop,
> do see the shared folder, but when I clik on it, I get the following
> meesage:
> Not enough server storage is available to process this command. I've
> modified
> my firewall settings to enable file and printer sharing. What else could
> or
> should I do?

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you, It did resolve my problem (bug).