KT-400 Dragon Ultra Platinum - Random Shutdows

My computer recently started randomly shutting down, sometimes when I am
working on it & other times when I am not using it. I have not added any
hardware or software to the system in the last couple weeks since this
problem has started. Does anyone have any tips for troubleshooting the
system or what the problem & fix might be?

I reflashed the BIOS to see if that would correct the problem & that didn't.
I did a system restore w/ Win XP & it shutdown during the reboot. It will
now not boot up. I have to hold the insert key down when I turn on the
power & it starts to go through the POST & then shuts down at different
stages before & during loading of Windows.

System:

KT-400 DUP w/ RAID
Athlon XP 2400
Windows XP Pro w/ latest patches installed
2 - 120 g WD Hard drives in RAID - 0
512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR Ram
ATI Radeon All in Wonder 7500
SoundBlaster Live Value
Sony 48x CD-RW
Creative Labs 48x CD-ROM
Panasonic DVD-RAM/-R
420w Thermaltake PSW

if your temps are okay ie cpu ~ 40-45 case ~ 25 to 35 then look in
the BIOS and see if the thermal protection is set too low. It may be set
at like 50C, and the actual cpu core temp may be hitting that mark, so
maybe nudge it up a bit . but you are right, dust is a cooler killer, so
keep it fairly clean .

kbstreet wrote:

>I'm using a Thermaltake Volcano 9. It has worked flawlessly for over a
>year. The fan RPM has been over 3800 or so. Could it be that the fan just
>needs to be cleaned & that the dust inside the case could be causing this?
>What about shutting off the overheat protection in the BIOS?

I turned off the fan overheat setting in the BIOS & updated my video card
driver. It took a while to boot up after that, but the system has been
running steady for the last 36 hours w/o it shutting down. Not sure exactly
what was wrong, but it seems to be fixed now.

Thanks for your help.