Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How To Un-RAID

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:54:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My system is set up for either RAID 0 or 1 with 320gb (160x2 SATA. It
is a WinXP MCE2005 machine. Right now I have it on a RAID 1
configuration. I would like to un-RAID it and just have two separate
drives. Inorder to do this are there any switching of cables required?
What procedures are involved, etc. Can anyone point me to the right
direction, please? TIA

shaka

More about : raid

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 8:13:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Two 160gb SATA drives,or 1 partitioned to 2.If the later,you dont have RAID
installed,if earlier,you should have a post BIOS screen that shows the conf-
iguration on every start-up,enter the menu,then select,disable RAID.However,
if youre system shows 2 hds,RAID is not installed,youre unable to view the
2nd
hd in the OS.If RAID is configured,uninstall the configuration from the menu,
then you'll need to boot to xp cd,press F6 for drivers,then at info
screen,select,
install xp,new copy,delete the partition (if one exist),create one,then let
xp format
and install.You can format the other in xp,diskmgmt.msc

"shaka" wrote:

> My system is set up for either RAID 0 or 1 with 320gb (160x2 SATA. It
> is a WinXP MCE2005 machine. Right now I have it on a RAID 1
> configuration. I would like to un-RAID it and just have two separate
> drives. Inorder to do this are there any switching of cables required?
> What procedures are involved, etc. Can anyone point me to the right
> direction, please? TIA
>
> shaka
>
April 26, 2005 10:03:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Depends upon your setup.

Check with your motherboard manual (if it has onboard RAID), or check with
your RAID controller's manual to see if it supports setting up single drives
and not having a raid configuration.

But in doing this, you are more than likely going to lose your data you have
on your hard drive, so be sure to backup any important data (documents,
email addresses, etc) to disc and be prepared to reinstall the operating
system and all software.

Is there any specific reason why you want to do this? You COULD get
PartitionMagic (or other partition editing software) to resize the partition
and make it smaller... then create yourself another partition. That is, if
you just want to have two logical drives.

Just my $0.02

Tim


"shaka" <grr8shaka@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23nvM2LrSFHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> My system is set up for either RAID 0 or 1 with 320gb (160x2 SATA. It is
> a WinXP MCE2005 machine. Right now I have it on a RAID 1 configuration.
> I would like to un-RAID it and just have two separate drives. Inorder to
> do this are there any switching of cables required? What procedures are
> involved, etc. Can anyone point me to the right direction, please? TIA
>
> shaka
Related resources
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:30:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Do you have a drive with 160GB of total space or 320GB or total space when
looking at the Raid drive in Explorer?
If 160GB of total space, then you have Raid 1 (Mirroring) and your PC
manufacturer should have instructions on their website or in your
documentation on how to break a Raid 1 Mirror. You can then format the old
mirror drive as you wish and store what you wish on the drive.
If you have 320GB of total space, you have Raid 0 (Stripping) and you
can only fix break the stripping by breaking the Raid connection, then
you'll need to reformat both drives and reinstall windows/apps clean.
Reason is a file may be stored in many pieces across both drives. Backup
any important data first, and make sure you have the non-raid drivers for
your motherboard/I-O controller before you start.
Raid 0 gives you speed, Raid 1 gives you mirroring... there are other
forms of Raid 5, 10 and 50, each builds redundancy and speed into the
process, especially when using SCSI 15/20k rpm drives, although the 7200/10k
available for SATA isn't bad for a desktop.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"shaka" <grr8shaka@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23nvM2LrSFHA.3140@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> My system is set up for either RAID 0 or 1 with 320gb (160x2 SATA. It is
> a WinXP MCE2005 machine. Right now I have it on a RAID 1 configuration.
> I would like to un-RAID it and just have two separate drives. Inorder to
> do this are there any switching of cables required? What procedures are
> involved, etc. Can anyone point me to the right direction, please? TIA
>
> shaka
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 2:30:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
> Do you have a drive with 160GB of total space or 320GB or total space when
> looking at the Raid drive in Explorer?
> If 160GB of total space, then you have Raid 1 (Mirroring) and your PC
> manufacturer should have instructions on their website or in your
> documentation on how to break a Raid 1 Mirror. You can then format the old
> mirror drive as you wish and store what you wish on the drive.
> If you have 320GB of total space, you have Raid 0 (Stripping) and you
> can only fix break the stripping by breaking the Raid connection, then
> you'll need to reformat both drives and reinstall windows/apps clean.
> Reason is a file may be stored in many pieces across both drives. Backup
> any important data first, and make sure you have the non-raid drivers for
> your motherboard/I-O controller before you start.
> Raid 0 gives you speed, Raid 1 gives you mirroring... there are other
> forms of Raid 5, 10 and 50, each builds redundancy and speed into the
> process, especially when using SCSI 15/20k rpm drives, although the 7200/10k
> available for SATA isn't bad for a desktop.
>

Tim, Andrew, and Admiral: This machine, which is a Sony VAIO, was
originally configured as RAID 0, onboard RAID controller (Intel 82801FR)
No WinXP CD came with it, instead it has a hidden partition for system
restore. I am having issues with the following disk imaging software:

Norton Ghost 2003 - will create backup but under RAID 0 it cannot find
some spanned images when restoring. Under RAID 1 it restores but with
errors.

Norton Ghost 9 - will create backups but cannnot locate files when
restore either in RAID 0 or 1.

Acronis True Image 8 - will create backup but "unable to load LINUX
kernel" comes up when trying to restore (This is not a LINUX machine)

I was hoping to set it up as:
Disk 1 (160gb divided into 3 partition, C - OS, D - Data, E = Games)
Disk 2 (160gb no partition for Media.

I have reformatted it before as non-RAID but the other disk does not
show up.

Hope this explains my situation well. Thanx for the responses.

shaka
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:24:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The Imaging Software from here:
http://terabyteunlimited.com/
They have free trials you can try. I would recommend Image For DOS or
BOOTITNG.

"shaka" <grr8shaka@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o jV3FptSFHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
>> Do you have a drive with 160GB of total space or 320GB or total space
>> when looking at the Raid drive in Explorer?
>> If 160GB of total space, then you have Raid 1 (Mirroring) and your PC
>> manufacturer should have instructions on their website or in your
>> documentation on how to break a Raid 1 Mirror. You can then format the
>> old mirror drive as you wish and store what you wish on the drive.
>> If you have 320GB of total space, you have Raid 0 (Stripping) and you
>> can only fix break the stripping by breaking the Raid connection, then
>> you'll need to reformat both drives and reinstall windows/apps clean.
>> Reason is a file may be stored in many pieces across both drives. Backup
>> any important data first, and make sure you have the non-raid drivers for
>> your motherboard/I-O controller before you start.
>> Raid 0 gives you speed, Raid 1 gives you mirroring... there are other
>> forms of Raid 5, 10 and 50, each builds redundancy and speed into the
>> process, especially when using SCSI 15/20k rpm drives, although the
>> 7200/10k available for SATA isn't bad for a desktop.
>>
>
> Tim, Andrew, and Admiral: This machine, which is a Sony VAIO, was
> originally configured as RAID 0, onboard RAID controller (Intel 82801FR)
> No WinXP CD came with it, instead it has a hidden partition for system
> restore. I am having issues with the following disk imaging software:
>
> Norton Ghost 2003 - will create backup but under RAID 0 it cannot find
> some spanned images when restoring. Under RAID 1 it restores but with
> errors.
>
> Norton Ghost 9 - will create backups but cannnot locate files when restore
> either in RAID 0 or 1.
>
> Acronis True Image 8 - will create backup but "unable to load LINUX
> kernel" comes up when trying to restore (This is not a LINUX machine)
>
> I was hoping to set it up as:
> Disk 1 (160gb divided into 3 partition, C - OS, D - Data, E = Games)
> Disk 2 (160gb no partition for Media.
>
> I have reformatted it before as non-RAID but the other disk does not show
> up.
>
> Hope this explains my situation well. Thanx for the responses.
>
> shaka
April 28, 2005 11:26:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Ed. wrote:

> The Imaging Software from here:
> http://terabyteunlimited.com/
> They have free trials you can try. I would recommend Image For DOS or
> BOOTITNG.
>
> "shaka" <grr8shaka@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o jV3FptSFHA.2336@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
>>
>>>Do you have a drive with 160GB of total space or 320GB or total space
>>>when looking at the Raid drive in Explorer?
>>> If 160GB of total space, then you have Raid 1 (Mirroring) and your PC
>>>manufacturer should have instructions on their website or in your
>>>documentation on how to break a Raid 1 Mirror. You can then format the
>>>old mirror drive as you wish and store what you wish on the drive.
>>> If you have 320GB of total space, you have Raid 0 (Stripping) and you
>>>can only fix break the stripping by breaking the Raid connection, then
>>>you'll need to reformat both drives and reinstall windows/apps clean.
>>>Reason is a file may be stored in many pieces across both drives. Backup
>>>any important data first, and make sure you have the non-raid drivers for
>>>your motherboard/I-O controller before you start.
>>> Raid 0 gives you speed, Raid 1 gives you mirroring... there are other
>>>forms of Raid 5, 10 and 50, each builds redundancy and speed into the
>>>process, especially when using SCSI 15/20k rpm drives, although the
>>>7200/10k available for SATA isn't bad for a desktop.
>>>
>>
>>Tim, Andrew, and Admiral: This machine, which is a Sony VAIO, was
>>originally configured as RAID 0, onboard RAID controller (Intel 82801FR)
>>No WinXP CD came with it, instead it has a hidden partition for system
>>restore. I am having issues with the following disk imaging software:
>>
>>Norton Ghost 2003 - will create backup but under RAID 0 it cannot find
>>some spanned images when restoring. Under RAID 1 it restores but with
>>errors.
>>
>>Norton Ghost 9 - will create backups but cannnot locate files when restore
>>either in RAID 0 or 1.

Where are your backup files located?

Ghost 9 has a habit of shooting itself in the foot by setting incorrect
file permissions then complaining it can't find the backup files at
restore time, particularly if the backups are on a network drive.
Granting Full Control to Everyone usually fixes this problem.

>>Acronis True Image 8 - will create backup but "unable to load LINUX
>>kernel" comes up when trying to restore (This is not a LINUX machine)
>>
>>I was hoping to set it up as:
>>Disk 1 (160gb divided into 3 partition, C - OS, D - Data, E = Games)
>>Disk 2 (160gb no partition for Media.
>>
>>I have reformatted it before as non-RAID but the other disk does not show
>>up.
>>
>>Hope this explains my situation well. Thanx for the responses.
>>
>>shaka
>
>
>
!