XP doesn't recognize 2nd hard drive

XP won't assign a drive letter to my second hard disk, even though it sees
the drive in the Device Manager. Any ideas.

Both disk have operating system on, and when switched, the system recognizes
and assigns letters to both drives, but when I switch them back, only one
drive is assigned a letter.

I've tried setting the Master/Slave and Cable Select, but that doesn't seem
to have any effect. Would having 2 CD/DVD set to Master/Slave affect the
primary IDE configuration?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
3 answers Last reply
More about doesn recognize hard drive

    Figuring that the drives are set to master/slave,dont use cable select,go to
    run,
    type:diskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click the un-lettered drive,go to
    actions,all,select
    make active and/or change drive letter and path,then asign it a letter.

    "MChrist" <MChrist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP won't assign a drive letter to my second hard disk, even though it sees
    > the drive in the Device Manager. Any ideas.
    >
    > Both disk have operating system on, and when switched, the system
    > recognizes
    > and assigns letters to both drives, but when I switch them back, only one
    > drive is assigned a letter.
    >
    > I've tried setting the Master/Slave and Cable Select, but that doesn't
    > seem
    > to have any effect. Would having 2 CD/DVD set to Master/Slave affect the
    > primary IDE configuration?
    >
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    Mark:
    Please answer the following...
    1. Specifically identify the make, model, and capacity of each HD.
    2. You indicate that both drives are bootable, yes?
    3. Each drive contains the XP OS, yes? Is one a clone of the other?
    4. When you connect each drive alone, (without the other being connected),
    presumably as Primary Master, each will boot OK?
    5. If you connect both drives, one as PM and the other either as Slave to
    the PM or on the secondary IDE channel, does the PM boot? And does the
    system recognize the second drive in that situation? Or is there a problem
    here.
    6. Are you *absolutely* certain you've connected the drives properly and
    they are jumpered correctly?
    7. What do you see in Disk Management insofar as the status of these drives
    and their drive letter assignment?
    8. When you state the problem arises when you "switch" the drives. Could you
    explain what you mean by "switching"? Are you physically changing the IDE
    cable connections and jumpering configuration of these drives? Or are you
    working with removable drives?

    It might help if you would give more precise details at to the exact nature
    of your problem. I'm not entirely clear exactly how this problem is
    manifested.
    Anna

    Anna and Andrew,

    Thank you both for your responses. Unfortunately by the time I got your
    recognized by using the recovery options in the XP Install.

    Drastic measures in that I lost the contents of the drive, although I had
    intended to format it anyway. Andrew, thanks for the diskmgmt.msc tip which
    solved the lettering problem I had

    Thanks again both of you.

    Mark

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Figuring that the drives are set to master/slave,dont use cable select,go to
    > run,
    > type:diskmgmt.msc In msc,L.click the un-lettered drive,go to
    > actions,all,select
    > make active and/or change drive letter and path,then asign it a letter.
    >
    > "MChrist" wrote:
    >
    > > XP won't assign a drive letter to my second hard disk, even though it sees
    > > the drive in the Device Manager. Any ideas.
    > >
    > > Both disk have operating system on, and when switched, the system recognizes
    > > and assigns letters to both drives, but when I switch them back, only one
    > > drive is assigned a letter.
    > >
    > > I've tried setting the Master/Slave and Cable Select, but that doesn't seem
    > > to have any effect. Would having 2 CD/DVD set to Master/Slave affect the
    > > primary IDE configuration?
    > >
    > > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Mark