How to transfer files to new computer

I want to transfer my music files to my new computer. Both computers
are running with XP.. My old one hasn't got a burner. I have a program
called Fastlynx.3.2. It says to use a cable with USB connectors on both
ends. I have a network cable for the plugin (looks like a larger phone
jack connector). What other ways are there, I know there must be a way
that doesn't cost a lot of $. Any help will be sorely appreciated.
:rolleyes:

--
flutterby1947

You know if all else fails it helps to read the instructions.
If the program asks for a specific USB cable .........go buy one
If you wish to use a network cable you will still need a special
cable.Either way you will need to spend some money to do what you are trying
to do.
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp
You are looking for a crossover cable that will allow you to connect 2
computers directly
peterk

safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
"flutterby1947" <flutterby1947.1o67pn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I want to transfer my music files to my new computer. Both computers
> are running with XP.. My old one hasn't got a burner. I have a program
> called Fastlynx.3.2. It says to use a cable with USB connectors on both
> ends. I have a network cable for the plugin (looks like a larger phone
> jack connector). What other ways are there, I know there must be a way
> that doesn't cost a lot of $. Any help will be sorely appreciated.
> :rolleyes:
>

> --
> flutterby1947

"flutterby1947" <flutterby1947.1o67pn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I want to transfer my music files to my new computer. Both computers
> are running with XP.. My old one hasn't got a burner. I have a program
> called Fastlynx.3.2. It says to use a cable with USB connectors on both
> ends. I have a network cable for the plugin (looks like a larger phone
> jack connector). What other ways are there, I know there must be a way
> that doesn't cost a lot of $. Any help will be sorely appreciated.
> :rolleyes:
>

> --
> flutterby1947

Do both computers have a network card or port? If they do you can use a
crossover cable to network them, share the folder with the mp3 files in it,
and copy them to the new computer. Another way is to remove the hard drive
from the old computer, set it as a slave drive, install it in the new
computer, copy the files, remove it, reset as master, and reinstall in old
computer. The following link will get you started on the path to using a
crossover cable.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/getsetup.mspx

Kerry

Hi,

Put your old hard drive in your new box as a slave drive and drag and
drop whatever you want over to the new drive using file explorer.

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor

Files and settings transfer wizard Start/programs/acccessories/system
tools/files and setting transfer wizard

will do it all for you on a floppy

Hope this helps
xxxxxx

Hi PeterK,

I have been following the instructions from a MS webpages

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/bott_fstw.mspx

But complexity sets in since I have a newer version of Windows XP on my
2-day old DELL than either writer is describing.

I have achieved so far, the Files & Settings Disks (floppy, created with my
new system) which has been inserted in the A:drive of the old computer, a
WIN98 system, and launched. (using FASTwiz.exe on the A:drive)

I have launched the Files & Settings Wizard on the new DELL.

It asks me to go to the OLD computer and "collect my files."

I have an ethernet "crossover" cable, but in order to be with you guys on
the Internet, I have to remove my modem's ethernet to be replaced by the
crossover cable for the "major surgery" of transferring my files to the new
computer. (Now two days into the job and bleary-eyed.)

I have the crossover cable connected between the two ethernet ports,
normally used for my internet connection.

I have selected the "home or small office network," option, and the old
computer says,"The Wizard cannot locate your new computer. Make sure the new
computer is turned on and that your network is working properly." Clearly I
did this with the crossover connection in place, not the modem connection.

My next step is to look into the IP address, which seems to me I went
through right at the beginning. Are the two computers supposed to have the
same, or different, IP addresses?

Anyway, neither computer can "see" the other. Got any ideas for this noobie?

cf

"peterk" wrote:

> You know if all else fails it helps to read the instructions.
> If the program asks for a specific USB cable .........go buy one
> If you wish to use a network cable you will still need a special
> cable.Either way you will need to spend some money to do what you are trying
> to do.
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-ethernet-crossover.asp
> You are looking for a crossover cable that will allow you to connect 2
> computers directly
> peterk

Never used it
try this website for detailed instructions
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm