Problems with Soyo Dragon Motherboard ?

Hi all,

I have been running a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard for about 2 years
now and have started to suffer some major problems with it now. !!!

It is randomly rebooting - just dies at any time and restarts XP?

It is reporting one stick of Crucial 256Mb ram as 128Mb ?
(flashed bios and reset CMOS it shows correctly for one / two boots)
Tested memory in another machine and it reports OK?

Ram Maxtor hard drive testing program and the hard drive passed all
tests.

I'm getting intermittant BSOD - stop 0x000000008E !

Details of specification

Soyo Dragon Plus Motherboard running version 7 of the BIOS
512Mb PC2100 Crucial Ram (two sticks of 256Mb)
80Gb Maxtor D740 7200rpm HDD
MSI Geforce FX5600 256Mb graphics card
Diamond max 56K modem
Liteon LTD-165 DVD rom drive
Yamaha CDRW-F1 burner
Coolermaster Aero 7+ Cooler
Plenty of USB devices !
4 answers Last reply
More about problems soyo dragon motherboard

    Techy typed:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been running a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard for about 2 years
    > now and have started to suffer some major problems with it now. !!!
    >
    > It is randomly rebooting - just dies at any time and restarts XP?
    >
    > It is reporting one stick of Crucial 256Mb ram as 128Mb ?
    > (flashed bios and reset CMOS it shows correctly for one / two boots)
    > Tested memory in another machine and it reports OK?
    >
    > Ram Maxtor hard drive testing program and the hard drive passed all
    > tests.
    >
    > I'm getting intermittant BSOD - stop 0x000000008E !
    >
    > Details of specification
    >
    > Soyo Dragon Plus Motherboard running version 7 of the BIOS
    > 512Mb PC2100 Crucial Ram (two sticks of 256Mb)
    > 80Gb Maxtor D740 7200rpm HDD
    > MSI Geforce FX5600 256Mb graphics card
    > Diamond max 56K modem
    > Liteon LTD-165 DVD rom drive
    > Yamaha CDRW-F1 burner
    > Coolermaster Aero 7+ Cooler
    > Plenty of USB devices !

    First inspect all capacitors if any of them is leaking. Two years is the
    time when this can happen.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

    > First inspect all capacitors if any of them is leaking. Two years is the
    > time when this can happen.

    Then make sure the CPU heatsink fins are clear of packed dust bunnies.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Frank typed:

    > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
    >>

    >> First inspect all capacitors if any of them is leaking. Two years is
    >> the time when this can happen.
    >>

    > Then make sure the CPU heatsink fins are clear of packed dust bunnies.

    CPU overheating can be easily checked out by running Motherboard monitor for
    a while...it will quickly sound an alarm if CPU gets too hot...
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    On 26 Apr 2004 01:34:09 -0700
    in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo
    yasa22@hotmail.com (Techy) muttered something like this:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I have been running a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard for about 2 years
    >now and have started to suffer some major problems with it now. !!!
    >
    >It is randomly rebooting - just dies at any time and restarts XP?
    >
    >It is reporting one stick of Crucial 256Mb ram as 128Mb ?
    >(flashed bios and reset CMOS it shows correctly for one / two boots)
    >Tested memory in another machine and it reports OK?
    >
    >Ram Maxtor hard drive testing program and the hard drive passed all
    >tests.
    >
    >I'm getting intermittant BSOD - stop 0x000000008E !
    >
    >Details of specification
    >
    >Soyo Dragon Plus Motherboard running version 7 of the BIOS
    >512Mb PC2100 Crucial Ram (two sticks of 256Mb)
    >80Gb Maxtor D740 7200rpm HDD
    >MSI Geforce FX5600 256Mb graphics card
    >Diamond max 56K modem
    >Liteon LTD-165 DVD rom drive
    >Yamaha CDRW-F1 burner
    >Coolermaster Aero 7+ Cooler
    >Plenty of USB devices !

    Get and run Memtest86. It has helped me diagnose my Dragon+ problems.
    I was having simalar problems as you. Turns out the middle slot of my
    ram slots is bad. I moved my ram to the two outter slots and all is
    fine now.
    --
    Outpatient / me*AT*0utpatient°DOT°com

    http://www.0utpatient.com