Problems with Soyo Dragon Motherboard ?

techy

Hi all,

I have been running a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard for about 2 years
now and have started to suffer some major problems with it now. !!!

It is randomly rebooting - just dies at any time and restarts XP?

It is reporting one stick of Crucial 256Mb ram as 128Mb ?
(flashed bios and reset CMOS it shows correctly for one / two boots)
Tested memory in another machine and it reports OK?

Ram Maxtor hard drive testing program and the hard drive passed all
tests.

I'm getting intermittant BSOD - stop 0x000000008E !

Details of specification

Soyo Dragon Plus Motherboard running version 7 of the BIOS
512Mb PC2100 Crucial Ram (two sticks of 256Mb)
80Gb Maxtor D740 7200rpm HDD
MSI Geforce FX5600 256Mb graphics card
Diamond max 56K modem
Liteon LTD-165 DVD rom drive
Yamaha CDRW-F1 burner
Coolermaster Aero 7+ Cooler
Plenty of USB devices !

Techy typed:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been running a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard for about 2 years
> now and have started to suffer some major problems with it now. !!!
>
> It is randomly rebooting - just dies at any time and restarts XP?
>
> It is reporting one stick of Crucial 256Mb ram as 128Mb ?
> (flashed bios and reset CMOS it shows correctly for one / two boots)
> Tested memory in another machine and it reports OK?
>
> Ram Maxtor hard drive testing program and the hard drive passed all
> tests.
>
> I'm getting intermittant BSOD - stop 0x000000008E !
>
> Details of specification
>
> Soyo Dragon Plus Motherboard running version 7 of the BIOS
> 512Mb PC2100 Crucial Ram (two sticks of 256Mb)
> 80Gb Maxtor D740 7200rpm HDD
> MSI Geforce FX5600 256Mb graphics card
> Diamond max 56K modem
> Liteon LTD-165 DVD rom drive
> Yamaha CDRW-F1 burner
> Coolermaster Aero 7+ Cooler
> Plenty of USB devices !

First inspect all capacitors if any of them is leaking. Two years is the
time when this can happen.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

> First inspect all capacitors if any of them is leaking. Two years is the
> time when this can happen.

Then make sure the CPU heatsink fins are clear of packed dust bunnies.

Frank typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>>

>> First inspect all capacitors if any of them is leaking. Two years is
>> the time when this can happen.
>>

> Then make sure the CPU heatsink fins are clear of packed dust bunnies.

CPU overheating can be easily checked out by running Motherboard monitor for
a while...it will quickly sound an alarm if CPU gets too hot...

On 26 Apr 2004 01:34:09 -0700
in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo
yasa22@hotmail.com (Techy) muttered something like this:

>Hi all,
>
>I have been running a Soyo Dragon Plus motherboard for about 2 years
>now and have started to suffer some major problems with it now. !!!
>
>It is randomly rebooting - just dies at any time and restarts XP?
>
>It is reporting one stick of Crucial 256Mb ram as 128Mb ?
>(flashed bios and reset CMOS it shows correctly for one / two boots)
>Tested memory in another machine and it reports OK?
>
>Ram Maxtor hard drive testing program and the hard drive passed all
>tests.
>
>I'm getting intermittant BSOD - stop 0x000000008E !
>
>Details of specification
>
>Soyo Dragon Plus Motherboard running version 7 of the BIOS
>512Mb PC2100 Crucial Ram (two sticks of 256Mb)
>80Gb Maxtor D740 7200rpm HDD
>MSI Geforce FX5600 256Mb graphics card
>Diamond max 56K modem
>Liteon LTD-165 DVD rom drive
>Yamaha CDRW-F1 burner
>Coolermaster Aero 7+ Cooler
>Plenty of USB devices !

Get and run Memtest86. It has helped me diagnose my Dragon+ problems.
I was having simalar problems as you. Turns out the middle slot of my
ram slots is bad. I moved my ram to the two outter slots and all is
fine now.
--
Outpatient / me*AT*0utpatient°DOT°com

http://www.0utpatient.com