Chipset Fan needs replaced on K7VTA-B

Where does one find the screw into heatsink chipset fans? Soyo used to have
them available via their Site Map, but today I been getting 'forbidden'
access messages.

Bought a Rat Shack 486 fan, and a week later it is not spinning too well.
Guess cause it is mounted vertically...

Anyone know of a way to remove the heatsink from the chipset and install a
heatsink only version? There's no pegs that I can see, so guess its mounted
using thermo-tape.

Not sure if I can run the heatsink without a fan. or if I should mount a
spare CPU fan over the heatsink using a fabricated mount system of some
sort.

Trying to find solutions if I cannot find a chipset fan to replace it.

Vrix
3 answers Last reply
More about chipset replaced k7vta

    "Vrix" <erp@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > Where does one find the screw into heatsink chipset fans? Soyo used to
    have
    > them available via their Site Map, but today I been getting 'forbidden'
    > access messages.
    >
    > Bought a Rat Shack 486 fan, and a week later it is not spinning too well.
    > Guess cause it is mounted vertically...
    >
    > Anyone know of a way to remove the heatsink from the chipset and install a
    > heatsink only version? There's no pegs that I can see, so guess its
    mounted
    > using thermo-tape.
    >
    > Not sure if I can run the heatsink without a fan. or if I should mount a
    > spare CPU fan over the heatsink using a fabricated mount system of some
    > sort.
    >
    > Trying to find solutions if I cannot find a chipset fan to replace it.

    Vrix,

    I think that the way to remove the heatsink (if you're absolutely sure that
    there aren't any pegs holding it) is to let the system run so that the chip
    heats up, power off, then twist the heatsink slightly.

    I just put one of the Zalman Northbridge coolers (no fan) onto my Abit KT7E
    (fan was slowing down on original), and it seems to be working fine.

    Jim
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    The fan on my VTA-Pro was forever making noise- I'd open it up and put
    in a few drops of light oil, and it would be good for maybe two weeks.
    Finally I used a little automotive wheel bearing grease. That was
    over a year ago, and it has run silently ever since. (Can't just drip
    it in, though, had to take the fan apart to grease it up.)
  3. this is the perfect replacement fan for the Soyo kt-400 chipset fan:

    TOP MOTOR 40mm x 10mm 4500rpm Ball Bearing Fan 3&4 Pin

    I found mine on ebay. Screws on with original screws and works perfectly. March 2010

Chipsets Heatsinks Fan Motherboards