SY-KT333 KT333 freezing

I have a Soyo KT333 mobo Dragon Ultra Edition (Black) for almost 2
years now and just recently it has been giving me problems. My system
is setup with a custom water cooled system, Zalmon heatsink on the
Northbridge and a nVidia 4200 128MB video card in the AGP slot. I just
recently added a modem and Winfax to do some office work. About a few
days later my system has been freezing on me, even when I'm not doing
any intensive work. I've had to reboot every 5-10 minutes.

I finally decided to do a full reformat and re-install of Windows XP
from scratch, thinking it might be .DLL hell that's killing me.
Re-installing went fine with Win XP - SP1, mobo drivers, video driver,
then started to install hotfixes and updates and my system reboot
itself. I then needed to install a small app to get some work done and
my computer froze and rebooted again. I went to inspect my system and
notice that one of my Water hoses were crimped up on the water block
(the weight of the tubing and position was bending it) and probably
slowing the rate of the water.

I fixed that and the flow is great! But, I'm still getting freezes. If
I reboot immediately it sometimes freezes on POST. I decided to let it
cool for a few minutes and then it boots up fine only to freeze again.
During the next reboot I went into the BIOS and into PC Health so I
can take a look at the CPU temp. All the temps are fine (CPU and
Chasis). I even left the case open. Now, I've noticed that the BIOS
screen was getting some video artifacts so I decided to blow clean the
Zalman heatsink and unmount the video card and get a can of air and
clean the cooling unit for the video card. There was a lot of dust
everywhere but I was able to clean EVERYTHING!

Now, put everthing back together and go back in the BIOS screen and I
still see screen artifacts. This time I leave my system in the BIOS PC
Health screen and walk away and come back later to see if the temp
readings are higher. I come back and the screen is jubberish and the
computer frozen.

This answers a few things:
1) My windows wasn't hosed so I didn't need to re-install everthing
from scratch.
2) It's not the Video card.
3) It's not the CPU (temps are good, around 36 degrees C.)
4) Water cooling rig is operating fine.

I don't understand, I've had this same setup for months and EVERTHING
has been fine.

The next thing I'm going to try when I get home is remove the modem
and if that doesn't help I'm going to put a fan blowing in the
computer case and see if the Northbridge is the culprit.

Can anyone else help me diagnose this problem? I'm usually a genius
and can usually solve hardware problems on my own!

----------------------------
I forgot to add, I decided to upgrade the BIOS to kvxb2aa9 to see if
it helped, but didn't.
-----------------------------

It really sounds like a failing motherboard or video card component. You
may want to put in a new CMOS battery but I don't think it will help since
it does boot and then freezes later. I would try another video card before
considering a motherboard repair/replacement. Good Luck!

"Richard Nunez" <boy_afraid.geo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a Soyo KT333 mobo Dragon Ultra Edition (Black) for almost 2
> years now and just recently it has been giving me problems. My system
> is setup with a custom water cooled system, Zalmon heatsink on the
> Northbridge and a nVidia 4200 128MB video card in the AGP slot. I just
> recently added a modem and Winfax to do some office work. About a few
> days later my system has been freezing on me, even when I'm not doing
> any intensive work. I've had to reboot every 5-10 minutes.
>
> I finally decided to do a full reformat and re-install of Windows XP
> from scratch, thinking it might be .DLL hell that's killing me.
> Re-installing went fine with Win XP - SP1, mobo drivers, video driver,
> then started to install hotfixes and updates and my system reboot
> itself. I then needed to install a small app to get some work done and
> my computer froze and rebooted again. I went to inspect my system and
> notice that one of my Water hoses were crimped up on the water block
> (the weight of the tubing and position was bending it) and probably
> slowing the rate of the water.
>
> I fixed that and the flow is great! But, I'm still getting freezes. If
> I reboot immediately it sometimes freezes on POST. I decided to let it
> cool for a few minutes and then it boots up fine only to freeze again.
> During the next reboot I went into the BIOS and into PC Health so I
> can take a look at the CPU temp. All the temps are fine (CPU and
> Chasis). I even left the case open. Now, I've noticed that the BIOS
> screen was getting some video artifacts so I decided to blow clean the
> Zalman heatsink and unmount the video card and get a can of air and
> clean the cooling unit for the video card. There was a lot of dust
> everywhere but I was able to clean EVERYTHING!
>
> Now, put everthing back together and go back in the BIOS screen and I
> still see screen artifacts. This time I leave my system in the BIOS PC
> Health screen and walk away and come back later to see if the temp
> readings are higher. I come back and the screen is jubberish and the
> computer frozen.
>
> This answers a few things:
> 1) My windows wasn't hosed so I didn't need to re-install everthing
> from scratch.
> 2) It's not the Video card.
> 3) It's not the CPU (temps are good, around 36 degrees C.)
> 4) Water cooling rig is operating fine.
>
> I don't understand, I've had this same setup for months and EVERTHING
> has been fine.
>
> The next thing I'm going to try when I get home is remove the modem
> and if that doesn't help I'm going to put a fan blowing in the
> computer case and see if the Northbridge is the culprit.
>
> Can anyone else help me diagnose this problem? I'm usually a genius
> and can usually solve hardware problems on my own!
>
> ----------------------------
> I forgot to add, I decided to upgrade the BIOS to kvxb2aa9 to see if
> it helped, but didn't.
> -----------------------------

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> [...]
> computer frozen.
>
> This answers a few things:
> 1) My windows wasn't hosed so I didn't need to re-install everthing
> from scratch.
> 2) It's not the Video card.
> 3) It's not the CPU (temps are good, around 36 degrees C.)
> 4) Water cooling rig is operating fine.
>
> I don't understand, I've had this same setup for months and EVERTHING
> has been fine.
>
> The next thing I'm going to try when I get home is remove the modem
> and if that doesn't help I'm going to put a fan blowing in the
> computer case and see if the Northbridge is the culprit.
>
> Can anyone else help me diagnose this problem? I'm usually a genius
> and can usually solve hardware problems on my own!

> I forgot to add, I decided to upgrade the BIOS to kvxb2aa9 to see if

I'm having similar problems with a Dragon Lite. I have it narrowed down (I
think!) to a DDR voltage problem. One of my two sticks of memory (Crucial
DDR 2100 256 MB) just refuses to work. POST will freeze after displaying
(correctly) 512 MB. I remove the Crucial and all is well. I notice that the
DDR voltage, according to the hardware monitor, is 2.41v. I've normally seen
this voltage on my Abit board at 2.7+v. I haven't tried bumping the voltage
yet...that's my next step. Will report back.