Soyo KT600 DRAGON Ultra Platinum will not work with GeForc..

mynameismonkey

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Hi all, I recently built a new machine with my first Soyo MB. Here's
my specs.

Soyo KT600 DRAGON Ultra Platinum
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2083 MHz (6.25 x 333) 2800+
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8377 Apollo KT600
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (09/02/03)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 (256 MB)
Monitor Dell D1226H (59119D4RMX39)
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738 Audio Chip
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 98196H8 (80 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Disk Drive WDC WD800JB-00ETA0
Optical Drive LITE-ON COMBO LTC-48161H (DVD:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x
DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Keyboard Easy Internet Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
USB Device D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter

I've gone through three video adapters trying to get my super new
machine to play Battlefield and Neverwinter Nights, but I cannot play
any high-end 3D games, games which worked fine on my previous P3 500 /
GeForce2!

I started with the GeForce2, everything was fine, finally upgraded to
a GeForce4 Ti4200 (XFX), and all hell broke loose. Tried everything I
could find, drivers, flashes, the works, three of us have tried our
best. I finally gave up and bought an even more expensive card, so I
now have a GeForce FX5700 (Albatron) w/ 256 megs and still the games
won't work properly. All kinds of high weirdness, including invisible
objects, weird textures, distortion, what appears to be the world's
best wallhack, you name it.

I've read a lot of posts here regarding GeForce4 problems, but can't
find a concensus answer or actual fix, so my question is, is there a
fix or do I need to get a different kind of video card?

Here's the display specs:

Device Description NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
Adapter String GeForce FX 5700
BIOS String Version 4.36.20.23.00
Chip Type GeForce FX 5700
DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
Installed Drivers nv4_disp (6.14.10.5672 - nVIDIA Detonator 56.72)
Memory Size 256 MB

Thanks in advance.

Jaz

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Strip down to a basic system, 1 stick of ram 1 HD 1 vid card 1
optical drive.
Put the hd on ide 1 as a master jumpered as such. Put the optical
drive on ide 2 as a master jumpered as such, us a 40 wire flat cable
not an 80 wire. Format the drive and re-install :

Install order:

Update the bios to the latest version
Backup all important data etc.
Clear CMOS per motherboard manufaacturers instructions
Remove all hardware except the HD, floppy, CD-ROM, 1 stick of RAM and
vid card
Format hard drive
Install OS plus any service packs that are on hand
Install Anti-virus and firewall software, have both disabled when
installing programs and drivers
Install modem and drivers
Update the antivirus and firewall
Update the OS, including ALL service packs and critical updates.
Install DirectX 9.0b
Install the 4 in 1 package of your choice, note, they are included
with XP and SP1
Install the latest video drivers for your card.
Install the rest of your hardware, one item at a time, rebooting as
necessary.
Install programs etc.
Good luck!
If all is working at this point, start adding the rest of the hardware
one item at a time making sure the system is stable. Do not use the
pci slot immediately below the agp slot.
Dave