das

I have a Dragon Plus. I have been running it for a couple of years.
I tried to install a PCI wireless network adapter, and it was completelly
useless, mouse locking and moving again and i could harly keel a connection
going. (Netgear adapter)
Then tried to go with a USB wireless adapter and this one is very reliable
once it is running, but it never powers up on its own, I need to unplug the
USB cable and plug it back n several times until the lights finally come on
and then it works fine.

I used the PCI adapter on a different machine and it worked just fine.

Has anybody run into this problem? Are the any known problems with the PCI
or USB areas of this board?

Thanks for any help.

David

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"DAS" <dselvidge1@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:<%r_kc.44036$hR1.20703@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> I have a Dragon Plus. I have been running it for a couple of years.
> I tried to install a PCI wireless network adapter, and it was completelly
> useless, mouse locking and moving again and i could harly keel a connection
> going. (Netgear adapter)
> Then tried to go with a USB wireless adapter and this one is very reliable
> once it is running, but it never powers up on its own, I need to unplug the
> USB cable and plug it back n several times until the lights finally come on
> and then it works fine.
>
> I used the PCI adapter on a different machine and it worked just fine.
>
> Has anybody run into this problem? Are the any known problems with the PCI
> or USB areas of this board?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> David

Sound like some other issue is haunting you, cableing or jumpering or
possibly an irq conflict or even incompatible hardware.

DAS wrote:
> I have a Dragon Plus. I have been running it for a couple of years.
> I tried to install a PCI wireless network adapter, and it was completelly
> useless, mouse locking and moving again and i could harly keel a connection
> going. (Netgear adapter)
> Then tried to go with a USB wireless adapter and this one is very reliable
> once it is running, but it never powers up on its own, I need to unplug the
> USB cable and plug it back n several times until the lights finally come on
> and then it works fine.
>
> I used the PCI adapter on a different machine and it worked just fine.
>
> Has anybody run into this problem? Are the any known problems with the PCI
> or USB areas of this board?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> David

I had a helluva time with USB devices when I would overclock even 1
mhz... I ended up getting a USB2.0 PCI Card and never used the onboard
USB again, then I could OC all I wanted.

Try resetting your bios to the compatible mode - which will slow your PC
down - and see if that improves anything.

Thanks for the tip
"BSpiral" <darnjunkemail@tds.net> wrote in message
> DAS wrote:
> > I have a Dragon Plus. I have been running it for a couple of years.
> > I tried to install a PCI wireless network adapter, and it was
completelly
> > useless, mouse locking and moving again and i could harly keel a
connection
> > going. (Netgear adapter)
> > Then tried to go with a USB wireless adapter and this one is very
reliable
> > once it is running, but it never powers up on its own, I need to unplug
the
> > USB cable and plug it back n several times until the lights finally come
on
> > and then it works fine.
> >
> > I used the PCI adapter on a different machine and it worked just fine.
> >
> > Has anybody run into this problem? Are the any known problems with the
PCI
> > or USB areas of this board?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > David
> >

> I had a helluva time with USB devices when I would overclock even 1
> mhz... I ended up getting a USB2.0 PCI Card and never used the onboard
> USB again, then I could OC all I wanted.
>
> Try resetting your bios to the compatible mode - which will slow your PC
> down - and see if that improves anything.

"DAS" <dselvidge1@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:<%r_kc.44036$hR1.20703@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> I have a Dragon Plus. I have been running it for a couple of years.
> I tried to install a PCI wireless network adapter, and it was completelly
> useless, mouse locking and moving again and i could harly keel a connection
> going. (Netgear adapter)
> Then tried to go with a USB wireless adapter and this one is very reliable
> once it is running, but it never powers up on its own, I need to unplug the
> USB cable and plug it back n several times until the lights finally come on
> and then it works fine.
>
> I used the PCI adapter on a different machine and it worked just fine.
>
> Has anybody run into this problem? Are the any known problems with the PCI
> or USB areas of this board?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> David

I'm having problems using PCI slots 1, 2 or 3 on the Dragon Plus for
anything at all. I can only use PCI slots 4 and 5 for my promise
controller tx2 and leadtek tv card. I want to add a USB2.0 controller
but it won't work anywhere in Slots 1-3 without locking up.

I don't know if anyone who has this motherboard has ever been able to
use anything in Slots 1-3.. some people say internal analog modems,
but who uses those anymore? (Okay, most of us don't.)

Anyhow, I think it's obvious IRQ sharing issue, but since I have ACPI
enabled in Windows 2000, I can't do anything about manually adjusting
them unless I re-install the OS completely from scratch.

If anyone has found a solution to this problem with getting PCI Slot
1-3 working, let us know!

What do you have those slots???

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

chadw01@hotmail.com (Chad Wickenheiser) wrote in message news:<5aa5f047.0405251106.661493a@posting.google.com>...
> "DAS" <dselvidge1@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:<%r_kc.44036$hR1.20703@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> > I have a Dragon Plus. I have been running it for a couple of years.
> > I tried to install a PCI wireless network adapter, and it was completelly
> > useless, mouse locking and moving again and i could harly keel a connection
> > going. (Netgear adapter)
> > Then tried to go with a USB wireless adapter and this one is very reliable
> > once it is running, but it never powers up on its own, I need to unplug the
> > USB cable and plug it back n several times until the lights finally come on
> > and then it works fine.
> >
> > I used the PCI adapter on a different machine and it worked just fine.
> >
> > Has anybody run into this problem? Are the any known problems with the PCI
> > or USB areas of this board?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > David
>
> I'm having problems using PCI slots 1, 2 or 3 on the Dragon Plus for
> anything at all. I can only use PCI slots 4 and 5 for my promise
> controller tx2 and leadtek tv card. I want to add a USB2.0 controller
> but it won't work anywhere in Slots 1-3 without locking up.
>
> I don't know if anyone who has this motherboard has ever been able to
> use anything in Slots 1-3.. some people say internal analog modems,
> but who uses those anymore? (Okay, most of us don't.)
>
> Anyhow, I think it's obvious IRQ sharing issue, but since I have ACPI
> enabled in Windows 2000, I can't do anything about manually adjusting
> them unless I re-install the OS completely from scratch.
>
> If anyone has found a solution to this problem with getting PCI Slot
> 1-3 working, let us know!
>
> What do you have those slots???

If you do the research you will probably find the slots you cannot use
are sharing IRQ with another device on the system. Unless you have a
newer MB and XP IRQ sharing is a no - no.
Dave

dvnj@msn.com (dave) wrote in message news:<4767d5a9.0405260411.400aba95@posting.google.com>...
> chadw01@hotmail.com (Chad Wickenheiser) wrote in message news:<5aa5f047.0405251106.661493a@posting.google.com>...
> > "DAS" <dselvidge1@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:<%r_kc.44036$hR1.20703@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> > > I have a Dragon Plus. I have been running it for a couple of years.
> > > I tried to install a PCI wireless network adapter, and it was completelly
> > > useless, mouse locking and moving again and i could harly keel a connection
> > > going. (Netgear adapter)
> > > Then tried to go with a USB wireless adapter and this one is very reliable
> > > once it is running, but it never powers up on its own, I need to unplug the
> > > USB cable and plug it back n several times until the lights finally come on
> > > and then it works fine.
> > >
> > > I used the PCI adapter on a different machine and it worked just fine.
> > >
> > > Has anybody run into this problem? Are the any known problems with the PCI
> > > or USB areas of this board?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help.
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > I'm having problems using PCI slots 1, 2 or 3 on the Dragon Plus for
> > anything at all. I can only use PCI slots 4 and 5 for my promise
> > controller tx2 and leadtek tv card. I want to add a USB2.0 controller
> > but it won't work anywhere in Slots 1-3 without locking up.
> >
> > I don't know if anyone who has this motherboard has ever been able to
> > use anything in Slots 1-3.. some people say internal analog modems,
> > but who uses those anymore? (Okay, most of us don't.)
> >
> > Anyhow, I think it's obvious IRQ sharing issue, but since I have ACPI
> > enabled in Windows 2000, I can't do anything about manually adjusting
> > them unless I re-install the OS completely from scratch.
> >
> > If anyone has found a solution to this problem with getting PCI Slot
> > 1-3 working, let us know!
> >
> > What do you have those slots???
>

> If you do the research you will probably find the slots you cannot use
> are sharing IRQ with another device on the system. Unless you have a
> newer MB and XP IRQ sharing is a no - no.
> Dave

That seems to be the issue with the Dragon Plus.

Slot 1 - Shared with AGP card
Slot 2 - Shared with Promise Controller
Slot 3 - Unshared, but useless because it won't take most things
without locking up anyways..

Slot 4 - Good slot
Slot 5 - Good slot

I've read other posts where some have said that Slots 4 and 5 use a
different controller which is why there are no conflicts.

But you're right, there doesn't seem to be any solution to this
problem on the Dragon Plus so getting a new motherboard looks to be
the only option.

My question is still out there for Dragon Plus owners though: what
are you using in Slots 1-3, if anything at all?

Thanks.

Using a SB Live Value with no problems. Shares IRQ 11.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com