Visit NewEgg.com

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Ryan" wrote:

| Anyone know of a good reliable site that sells OEM CPU's for low prices?
|
| Thanks

www.outpost.com

Don't forget to get a GOOD heatsink and cooling fan.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of a good reliable site that sells OEM CPU's for low prices?
>
> Thanks

What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD made proprietary CPUs
for OEMs.

Modem Ani

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of a good reliable site that sells OEM CPU's for low prices?
>
> Thanks

An OEM CPU is one that comes without a fan or heatsink, a lesser warranty
and no pretty packaging. My AMD retail CPU's have a three year warranty, but
the OEM's only have a one year warranty.
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104203#DetailSpecs

Ted

In message <eR7C2ZBTFHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl> "Modem Ani"
<notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote:

>What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD made proprietary CPUs
>for OEMs.

It's a grey box rather then a packaged box. Typically it includes a
shorter warranty and no FAN, sticker, or other packaging, all at a
reduced cost.

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?

OK...that's what I know as a 'white box' item. Thanks.

Modem Ani

"Ted Ruoff" <tmruoff2 AT hotmail.com> wrote in message
> An OEM CPU is one that comes without a fan or heatsink, a lesser warranty
> and no pretty packaging. My AMD retail CPU's have a three year warranty,
but
> the OEM's only have a one year warranty.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104203#DetailSpecs

> Ted
>
> "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD made proprietary
CPUs
> > for OEMs.
> >
> > Modem Ani
> >
> > "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Anyone know of a good reliable site that sells OEM CPU's for low
prices?

> >> Thanks

You're Welcome.

> OK...that's what I know as a 'white box' item. Thanks.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Ted Ruoff" <tmruoff2 AT hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> An OEM CPU is one that comes without a fan or heatsink, a lesser warranty
>> and no pretty packaging. My AMD retail CPU's have a three year warranty,
> but
>> the OEM's only have a one year warranty.
>>
> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104203#DetailSpecs
>>
>> Ted
>>
>> "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
>> > What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD made proprietary
> CPUs
>> > for OEMs.
>> >
>> > Modem Ani
>> >
>> > "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> prices?

OEM CPUs are white box and don't come with heatsink or
cooling fan. They also don't have a guarantee the same as
the retail boxed CPUs.

"Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
| What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD made
proprietary CPUs
| for OEMs.
|
| Modem Ani
|
| "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Anyone know of a good reliable site that sells OEM CPU's
for low prices?

| > Thanks

Ryan

Jim,

Are OEM CPU's previously owned? I don't understand why they don't have the
typical 3 yr warranty as a new retail CPU would if they are new in the white
box.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> OEM CPUs are white box and don't come with heatsink or
> cooling fan. They also don't have a guarantee the same as
> the retail boxed CPUs.
>

> "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> | What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD made
> proprietary CPUs
> | for OEMs.
> |
> | Modem Ani
> |
> | "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | > Anyone know of a good reliable site that sells OEM CPU's
> for low prices?
> | >
> | > Thanks

sunny

Ryan wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Are OEM CPU's previously owned? I don't understand why they don't have the
> typical 3 yr warranty as a new retail CPU would if they are new in the white
> box.

Retail CPUs have a warranty from the manufacturer, if they break you get
a replacement directly from Intel or AMD.

OEM CPUs have no manufacturers warranty, the warranty (if any) is from
the OEM and you deal with them if it breaks.

Sunny

> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>

>>OEM CPUs are white box and don't come with heatsink or
>>cooling fan. They also don't have a guarantee the same as
>>the retail boxed CPUs.
>>

>>"Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
>>| What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD made
>>proprietary CPUs
>>| for OEMs.
>>|
>>| Modem Ani
>>|
>>| "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>for low prices?

No, OEM are new, but they don't include the retail box
warranty or additional hardware that is required for
installation. A retail box includes a 3 year warranty, a
heat sink and fan and written instructions.

Previously owned CPU are called either used or perhaps
"pulls" meaning that they were removed from a PC that had
been assembled.

| Jim,
|
| Are OEM CPU's previously owned? I don't understand why
they don't have the
| typical 3 yr warranty as a new retail CPU would if they
are new in the white
| box.
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > OEM CPUs are white box and don't come with heatsink or
| > cooling fan. They also don't have a guarantee the same
as
| > the retail boxed CPUs.
| >

| > "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in
message
| > | What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD
made
| > proprietary CPUs
| > | for OEMs.
| > |
| > | Modem Ani
| > |
| > | "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > |
CPU's
| > for low prices?

| > |
| > |

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:38:35 -0700, Ted Ruoff wrote:

> An OEM CPU is one that comes without a fan or heatsink, a lesser
> warranty and no pretty packaging. My AMD retail CPU's have a three year
> warranty, but the OEM's only have a one year warranty.
> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104203#DetailSpecs

There's one other thing about OEM CPU's - if you are doing a Dual CPU
board, unless you know the OEM personally, it's hard to get a matched pair
and that can cause problems for Dual/Quad systems.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:50:05 -0700, Ryan wrote:

> Are OEM CPU's previously owned? I don't understand why they don't have
> the typical 3 yr warranty as a new retail CPU would if they are new in
> the white box.

OEM CPU's don't carry the same warranty because they are sold to end-users
to install and not installed by trained technicians. They are not sold
with approved CPU Heat Sinks/Fans and are likely to be subjected to more
stress due to heat than a Retail Boxed kit (which includes the approved
HSP, Heat Sink, Fan).

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

OEM CPUs (now that I know what that means) are intended for OEMs, who don't
need warranties or the extra parts that come with CPUs intended for
consumers.

Modem Ani

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jim,
>
> Are OEM CPU's previously owned? I don't understand why they don't have
the
> typical 3 yr warranty as a new retail CPU would if they are new in the
white
> box.
>
> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>
> > OEM CPUs are white box and don't come with heatsink or
> > cooling fan. They also don't have a guarantee the same as
> > the retail boxed CPUs.
> >

> > "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > | What is an OEM CPU? I did not know that Intel or AMD made
> > proprietary CPUs
> > | for OEMs.
> > |
> > | Modem Ani
> > |
> > | "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > for low prices?

Correct, and for home builders who want to save a few
dollars and take the risks while they select all the parts
they want.

| OEM CPUs (now that I know what that means) are intended
for OEMs, who don't
| need warranties or the extra parts that come with CPUs
intended for
| consumers.
|
| Modem Ani
|
| "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Jim,
| >
| > Are OEM CPU's previously owned? I don't understand why
they don't have
| the
| > typical 3 yr warranty as a new retail CPU would if they
are new in the
| white
| > box.
| >
| > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
| >
| > > OEM CPUs are white box and don't come with heatsink or
| > > cooling fan. They also don't have a guarantee the
same as
| > > the retail boxed CPUs.
| > >

| > > "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in
message
| > > proprietary CPUs
| > > |
| > > |
message
| > > |
CPU's
| > > for low prices?

| > > |
| > > |

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:24:01 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:

> Correct, and for home builders who want to save a few dollars and take
> the risks while they select all the parts they want.

Actually, the OEM vendor provides the warranty first, then Intel if you
can get them to direct support it. In most cases you have to go through
the OEM vendor to get service.

As with OEM products, they should be cheaper than retail, which is one of
the benefits of using OEM parts. The actual quality of OEM CPU's is the
same as the retail.

When it comes to video cards, there are differences - many OEM Video cards
are clocked lower than their retail counterpart.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Thanks, Leythos, for making that distinction. That's the part I was confused
about originally. OEM CPUs, like OEM RAM and probably other parts, are
functionally and quality-wise identical with retail parts. OTOH, OEM sounds
cards, video cards, NICs and many other parts are different from otherwise
identical models sold at retail.

Modem Ani

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:43:04 -0400, Modem Ani wrote:

> Thanks, Leythos, for making that distinction. That's the part I was
> confused about originally. OEM CPUs, like OEM RAM and probably other
> parts, are functionally and quality-wise identical with retail parts.
> OTOH, OEM sounds cards, video cards, NICs and many other parts are
> different from otherwise identical models sold at retail.

Just so that you know, RAM is also different. If you buy quality retail
ram it should be CL=2, but many of the OEM versions are CL=2.5 or CL=3 or
worse.

As for NIC's, I've not found any real difference.