USB Drive doesnt like my computer but Everyone else's Plea..

It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my Verbatim
USB Drive.
I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I don't
think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital camera,
scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.

Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.

Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
Thanks in advance

Try going here and downloading the latest Stop and Go Manager.
http://www.verbatim.com/products/products.cfm?pc_parent=B0733EA6-8EC0-45D8-A2D2583CDBCAF4D4&pc_id=F388E210-65B0-5A0F-851DF798E7C0B53E&support=1

"Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
> It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
> Verbatim USB Drive.
> I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
> don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
> camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
>
> Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
> the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
> without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
>
> Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
> Thanks in advance

Thanks Rich for the suggestion. I tried installing the latest Store and Go
Manager as you suggested but I dont get too far with it. when I launch the
program a screen comes up saying that it is installing the drivers and then
I waited for a while until I realize there was another screen with a ok
button behind the first one saying the following:

"To install software in windows XP/2000/2003 connect drive to USB Port.
After unplug and reconnect device"
Then you're supposed to accept it. I tried this with and without the USB
Drive connected to the port and it didnt make any difference.

What am I doing wrong? or Do you have more ideas what it could be?
Regards

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Try going here and downloading the latest Stop and Go Manager.
>
> http://www.verbatim.com/products/products.cfm?pc_parent=B0733EA6-8EC0-45D8-A2D2583CDBCAF4D4&pc_id=F388E210-65B0-5A0F-851DF798E7C0B53E&support=1
>

> "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
>> It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
>> Verbatim USB Drive.
>> I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
>> don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
>> camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
>>
>> Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
>> the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
>> without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
>>
>> Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
>> Thanks in advance

Gilberto, have you updated your computer with MS updates the same time
that this Drive started acting up? Is the Drive a
USB 2.0. ? Have you updated to SP1 or SP2 from MS Update site?
"Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
> It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
> Verbatim USB Drive.
> I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
> don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
> camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
>
> Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
> the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
> without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
>
> Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
> Thanks in advance

I can't really recall if there were any updates from MS before it started
acting up, but what I can remember is that it started acting up after
pluging it into a friend's laptop, I downloaded a bunch of picture into his
laptop and that was it.
I do have SP1 & SP2 updated in my computer and the drive is USB 2.0.

Dows this tell you something? Please let me know

> Gilberto, have you updated your computer with MS updates the same time
> that this Drive started acting up? Is the Drive a
> USB 2.0. ? Have you updated to SP1 or SP2 from MS Update site?
> "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
>> It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
>> Verbatim USB Drive.
>> I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
>> don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
>> camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
>>
>> Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
>> the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
>> without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
>>
>> Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
>> Thanks in advance

Gilberto, see if this helps

The original WinXP supported only version 1.1 of USB; SP1 added
support for
USB 2.0, and that support is in SP2, also, of course. Have you installed
SP2 yet?

Older drivers may be interfering with installation of newer ones. In Device
Manager, click View | Show Hidden Devices. Right-click on your USB devices
and Uninstall ALL of them. Then reboot and let WinXP re-detect them all and
install the latest drivers. (Sometimes it helps to reboot at least once
with the devices not plugged in to let WinXP "clear its head" and forget
that it ever had any such devices.)

Some USB devices (cameras, printers...) require drivers in addition to the
drivers that handle USB itself, but most flash drives do not, so this should
let WinXP recognize them and assign drive letters to them. You can use Disk
Management (diskmgmt.msc) to reassign drive letters, if you like, and WinXP
will attempt to assign those same letters each time you reboot or plug them
in again.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
> It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
> Verbatim USB Drive.
> I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
> don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
> camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
>
> Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
> the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
> without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
>
> Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
> Thanks in advance

moon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

i've been using a usb 1.1 external drive no probs for a couple of years, i
recently bought a usb2 case and had similar problem - turns out after much
experimenting it will work on only 2 of my usb ports - the main two on the
m/board, although the case ports and pci card ports are usb2 it wont work
via them! other usb devices do. Also if i plug my 7 port dlink usb2 hub onto
either of the m/board usb 2 ports the externall drive will not work -
recognised without issue in device manager - but no go.

--
Moon
"Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
> It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
> Verbatim USB Drive.
> I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
> don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
> camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
>
> Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
> the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
> without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
>
> Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
> Thanks in advance

Try using a powered hub.

"Moon" <elmoono@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
| i've been using a usb 1.1 external drive no probs for a
couple of years, i
| recently bought a usb2 case and had similar problem -
turns out after much
| experimenting it will work on only 2 of my usb ports - the
main two on the
| m/board, although the case ports and pci card ports are
usb2 it wont work
| via them! other usb devices do. Also if i plug my 7 port
dlink usb2 hub onto
| either of the m/board usb 2 ports the externall drive will
not work -
| recognised without issue in device manager - but no go.
|
| --
| Moon
| "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
| > It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop
recognizing my
| > Verbatim USB Drive.
| > I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other
computers and I
| > don't think it is the port either since I can still
connect my digital
| > camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get
recognized.

| > Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was
able to find was
| > the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the
USB controllers
| > without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
| >
| > Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
| > Thanks in advance

moon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004