USB Drive doesnt like my computer but Everyone else's Plea..

It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my Verbatim
USB Drive.
I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I don't
think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital camera,
scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.

Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.

Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
Thanks in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about drive doesnt computer else plea

    Try going here and downloading the latest Stop and Go Manager.
    http://www.verbatim.com/products/products.cfm?pc_parent=B0733EA6-8EC0-45D8-A2D2583CDBCAF4D4&pc_id=F388E210-65B0-5A0F-851DF798E7C0B53E&support=1

    "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
    > It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
    > Verbatim USB Drive.
    > I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
    > don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
    > camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
    >
    > Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
    > the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
    > without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
    >
    > Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
    > Thanks in advance

    Thanks Rich for the suggestion. I tried installing the latest Store and Go
    Manager as you suggested but I dont get too far with it. when I launch the
    program a screen comes up saying that it is installing the drivers and then
    I waited for a while until I realize there was another screen with a ok
    button behind the first one saying the following:

    "To install software in windows XP/2000/2003 connect drive to USB Port.
    After unplug and reconnect device"
    Then you're supposed to accept it. I tried this with and without the USB
    Drive connected to the port and it didnt make any difference.

    What am I doing wrong? or Do you have more ideas what it could be?
    Regards

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Try going here and downloading the latest Stop and Go Manager.
    >
    > http://www.verbatim.com/products/products.cfm?pc_parent=B0733EA6-8EC0-45D8-A2D2583CDBCAF4D4&pc_id=F388E210-65B0-5A0F-851DF798E7C0B53E&support=1
    >

    > "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
    >> It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
    >> Verbatim USB Drive.
    >> I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
    >> don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
    >> camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
    >>
    >> Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
    >> the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
    >> without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
    >>
    >> Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
    >> Thanks in advance

    Gilberto, have you updated your computer with MS updates the same time
    that this Drive started acting up? Is the Drive a
    USB 2.0. ? Have you updated to SP1 or SP2 from MS Update site?
    "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
    > It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
    > Verbatim USB Drive.
    > I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
    > don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
    > camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
    >
    > Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
    > the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
    > without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
    >
    > Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
    > Thanks in advance

    I can't really recall if there were any updates from MS before it started
    acting up, but what I can remember is that it started acting up after
    pluging it into a friend's laptop, I downloaded a bunch of picture into his
    laptop and that was it.
    I do have SP1 & SP2 updated in my computer and the drive is USB 2.0.

    Dows this tell you something? Please let me know

    > Gilberto, have you updated your computer with MS updates the same time
    > that this Drive started acting up? Is the Drive a
    > USB 2.0. ? Have you updated to SP1 or SP2 from MS Update site?
    > "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
    >> It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
    >> Verbatim USB Drive.
    >> I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
    >> don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
    >> camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
    >>
    >> Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
    >> the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
    >> without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
    >>
    >> Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
    >> Thanks in advance

    Gilberto, see if this helps

    The original WinXP supported only version 1.1 of USB; SP1 added
    support for
    USB 2.0, and that support is in SP2, also, of course. Have you installed
    SP2 yet?

    Older drivers may be interfering with installation of newer ones. In Device
    Manager, click View | Show Hidden Devices. Right-click on your USB devices
    and Uninstall ALL of them. Then reboot and let WinXP re-detect them all and
    install the latest drivers. (Sometimes it helps to reboot at least once
    with the devices not plugged in to let WinXP "clear its head" and forget
    that it ever had any such devices.)

    Some USB devices (cameras, printers...) require drivers in addition to the
    drivers that handle USB itself, but most flash drives do not, so this should
    let WinXP recognize them and assign drive letters to them. You can use Disk
    Management (diskmgmt.msc) to reassign drive letters, if you like, and WinXP
    will attempt to assign those same letters each time you reboot or plug them
    in again.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
    > It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
    > Verbatim USB Drive.
    > I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
    > don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
    > camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
    >
    > Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
    > the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
    > without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
    >
    > Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
    > Thanks in advance

    i've been using a usb 1.1 external drive no probs for a couple of years, i
    recently bought a usb2 case and had similar problem - turns out after much
    experimenting it will work on only 2 of my usb ports - the main two on the
    m/board, although the case ports and pci card ports are usb2 it wont work
    via them! other usb devices do. Also if i plug my 7 port dlink usb2 hub onto
    either of the m/board usb 2 ports the externall drive will not work -
    recognised without issue in device manager - but no go.

    --
    Moon
    "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
    > It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop recognizing my
    > Verbatim USB Drive.
    > I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other computers and I
    > don't think it is the port either since I can still connect my digital
    > camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get recognized.
    >
    > Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was able to find was
    > the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the USB controllers
    > without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
    >
    > Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
    > Thanks in advance

    Try using a powered hub.

    "Moon" <elmoono@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    | i've been using a usb 1.1 external drive no probs for a
    couple of years, i
    | recently bought a usb2 case and had similar problem -
    turns out after much
    | experimenting it will work on only 2 of my usb ports - the
    main two on the
    | m/board, although the case ports and pci card ports are
    usb2 it wont work
    | via them! other usb devices do. Also if i plug my 7 port
    dlink usb2 hub onto
    | either of the m/board usb 2 ports the externall drive will
    not work -
    | recognised without issue in device manager - but no go.
    |
    | --
    | Moon
    | "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
    | > It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop
    recognizing my
    | > Verbatim USB Drive.
    | > I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other
    computers and I
    | > don't think it is the port either since I can still
    connect my digital
    | > camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get
    recognized.

    | > Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was
    able to find was
    | > the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the
    USB controllers
    | > without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
    | >
    | > Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
    | > Thanks in advance

    It is!

    --
    Moon
    > Try using a powered hub.
    >

    > "Moon" <elmoono@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > | i've been using a usb 1.1 external drive no probs for a
    > couple of years, i
    > | recently bought a usb2 case and had similar problem -
    > turns out after much
    > | experimenting it will work on only 2 of my usb ports - the
    > main two on the
    > | m/board, although the case ports and pci card ports are
    > usb2 it wont work
    > | via them! other usb devices do. Also if i plug my 7 port
    > dlink usb2 hub onto
    > | either of the m/board usb 2 ports the externall drive will
    > not work -
    > | recognised without issue in device manager - but no go.
    > |
    > | --
    > | Moon
    > | "Gilberto Trevino" <ewpphoto@telus.net> wrote in message
    > | > It all started a few weeks ago that my computer stop
    > recognizing my
    > | > Verbatim USB Drive.
    > | > I know it is not the USB Drive cause it works in other
    > computers and I
    > | > don't think it is the port either since I can still
    > connect my digital
    > | > camera, scanner and other usb devices and they all get
    > recognized.
    > | >
    > | > Been looking for its driver for windows xp but all I was
    > able to find was
    > | > the one for the Win98 SE. I also tried reinstalling the
    > USB controllers
    > | > without luck. Please help I dont know what else to do.
    > | >
    > | > Has anyone had this kind of problem before?
    > | > Thanks in advance

Computers USB Drive Windows XP