Help identify my beeps

I have a Soyo Drapgon Plus SY-K7V motherboard with a single 512 mb
stick of RAM. Since the CPU fan was noisy, I decided to replace it
with a Zalman CNPS3100-Plus.

When I went to restart my computer, I got a series of beeps - each
about 2 seconds long.

I cannot access the BIOS using the Insert or Delete keys. I see no
video. I have tried moving the memory to another slot. I have tried
plugging the old fan into the cpufan1 slot. I have reseated the video
card. I have both removed the battery and moved the jumper J5 to
reset ther BIOS. Zalman provides a resistor plug to slow the fan but
I am not using it.

I can't find any mention of this series of 2 second beeps in any of
Soyo's documentation.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Geoff Fox

On 9 May 2004 01:05:21 -0700, me@geofffox.com (Geoff Fox) wrote:

>I have a Soyo Drapgon Plus SY-K7V motherboard with a single 512 mb
>stick of RAM. Since the CPU fan was noisy, I decided to replace it
>with a Zalman CNPS3100-Plus.
>
>When I went to restart my computer, I got a series of beeps - each
>about 2 seconds long.
>
>I cannot access the BIOS using the Insert or Delete keys. I see no
>video. I have tried moving the memory to another slot. I have tried
>plugging the old fan into the cpufan1 slot. I have reseated the video
>card. I have both removed the battery and moved the jumper J5 to
>reset ther BIOS. Zalman provides a resistor plug to slow the fan but
>I am not using it.
>
>I can't find any mention of this series of 2 second beeps in any of
>Soyo's documentation.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?

From Soyo's site (www.soyousa.com )
I get continue short beeps
To resolve this issue:

1.This is indicating a memory issue. Please reseat your memory modules
or change your memory to a different slot or replace your memory. Try
use one sitck of ram at this time for troubleshooting purposes

2. If the above does not solve the problem try pull the board out and
test it on the bench, inspect the motherboard between the cpu and
memory slot area for physical damgage due to inproper cpu fan
installation.

(end material from Soyo site)

Another thing--this based on my own sad experience--take a very close
look at all the capacitors around the CPU socket. Sometimes when
installing a new cooler, one can tip a capacitor enough to break one
of its leads. I have a motherboard here with that very problem.
(gotta send it for repair)
--
-denny-

Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
--David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

me@geofffox.com (Geoff Fox) wrote in message news:<110d9899.0405090005.6963958d@posting.google.com>...
> I have a Soyo Drapgon Plus SY-K7V motherboard with a single 512 mb
> stick of RAM. Since the CPU fan was noisy, I decided to replace it
> with a Zalman CNPS3100-Plus.
>
> When I went to restart my computer, I got a series of beeps - each
> about 2 seconds long.
>
> I cannot access the BIOS using the Insert or Delete keys. I see no
> video. I have tried moving the memory to another slot. I have tried
> plugging the old fan into the cpufan1 slot. I have reseated the video
> card. I have both removed the battery and moved the jumper J5 to
> reset ther BIOS. Zalman provides a resistor plug to slow the fan but
> I am not using it.
>
> I can't find any mention of this series of 2 second beeps in any of
> Soyo's documentation.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Geoff Fox

Did you use thermal paste with the new fan? If not the cp may be
fried. I do not know if your board has fan off control. Try turning
off the power ( at the power supply) to the machine, turn it back on
and holding down the insert key when restarting.

On Sun, 09 May 2004 07:13:27 -0700, dave wrote:

> me@geofffox.com (Geoff Fox) wrote in message news:<110d9899.0405090005.6963958d@posting.google.com>...
>> I have a Soyo Drapgon Plus SY-K7V motherboard with a single 512 mb
>> stick of RAM. Since the CPU fan was noisy, I decided to replace it
>> with a Zalman CNPS3100-Plus.
>>
>> When I went to restart my computer, I got a series of beeps - each
>> about 2 seconds long.
>>
>> I cannot access the BIOS using the Insert or Delete keys. I see no
>> video. I have tried moving the memory to another slot. I have tried
>> plugging the old fan into the cpufan1 slot. I have reseated the video
>> card. I have both removed the battery and moved the jumper J5 to
>> reset ther BIOS. Zalman provides a resistor plug to slow the fan but
>> I am not using it.
>>
>> I can't find any mention of this series of 2 second beeps in any of
>> Soyo's documentation.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> Geoff Fox
>
> Did you use thermal paste with the new fan? If not the cp may be
> fried. I do not know if your board has fan off control. Try turning
> off the power ( at the power supply) to the machine, turn it back on
> and holding down the insert key when restarting.

Yes, the 'cooler' came with a tube of paste and I applied a coating to the
point where the CPU and heatsink would meet.

As I said, holding the Insert key doesn't help.

I just don't see a series of 2 second beeps listed in any Soyo
documentation.

If I have a hardware failure, I want to replace only what's gone - so
knowing if it's the motherboard or CPU would be helpful.

Geoff Fox

On Sun, 09 May 2004 03:54:06 -0700, Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On 9 May 2004 01:05:21 -0700, me@geofffox.com (Geoff Fox) wrote:
>
>>I have a Soyo Drapgon Plus SY-K7V motherboard with a single 512 mb
>>stick of RAM. Since the CPU fan was noisy, I decided to replace it
>>with a Zalman CNPS3100-Plus.
>>
>>When I went to restart my computer, I got a series of beeps - each
>>about 2 seconds long.
>>
>>I cannot access the BIOS using the Insert or Delete keys. I see no
>>video. I have tried moving the memory to another slot. I have tried
>>plugging the old fan into the cpufan1 slot. I have reseated the video
>>card. I have both removed the battery and moved the jumper J5 to
>>reset ther BIOS. Zalman provides a resistor plug to slow the fan but
>>I am not using it.
>>
>>I can't find any mention of this series of 2 second beeps in any of
>>Soyo's documentation.
>>
>>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> From Soyo's site (www.soyousa.com )
> I get continue short beeps
> To resolve this issue:
>
> 1.This is indicating a memory issue. Please reseat your memory modules
> or change your memory to a different slot or replace your memory. Try
> use one sitck of ram at this time for troubleshooting purposes
>
> 2. If the above does not solve the problem try pull the board out and
> test it on the bench, inspect the motherboard between the cpu and
> memory slot area for physical damgage due to inproper cpu fan
> installation.
>
> (end material from Soyo site)
>
> Another thing--this based on my own sad experience--take a very close
> look at all the capacitors around the CPU socket. Sometimes when
> installing a new cooler, one can tip a capacitor enough to break one
> of its leads. I have a motherboard here with that very problem.
> (gotta send it for repair)

I will look at that tomrrow. However, 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off, is not
what I'd call short beeps. And that's part of my confusion.

Geoff Fox

does the fan come with any 3 pin connector for CPU fan 1 power pins
? that is, if the motherboard cant see the fan spinning it wont boot,
and default settings for the BIOS is probably FOC on. Insert key may not
work if there is nothing connected to those pins. I see you tried
another fan, but it may be too slow as well. Are you running the fan in
normal mode ? what CPU ?

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:38:36 -0400, farmuse wrote:

> does the fan come with any 3 pin connector for CPU fan 1 power pins
> ? that is, if the motherboard cant see the fan spinning it wont boot,
> and default settings for the BIOS is probably FOC on. Insert key may not
> work if there is nothing connected to those pins. I see you tried
> another fan, but it may be too slow as well. Are you running the fan in
> normal mode ? what CPU ?

Done all of that. Swapped the original fan back in. As I remember, it's
an AMD Atlhon XP 1700+.

Would a bad CPU give this indication? I'm trying to eliminate
culprits. I would think RAM, motherboard or CPU. But, if it's not the
CPU, that makes troubleshooitng a little easier.

Hopefully, I will boroow a stick of RAM this afternoon to swap in.

Geoff

On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:07:34 -0400, Geoff Fox wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:38:36 -0400, farmuse wrote:
>
>> does the fan come with any 3 pin connector for CPU fan 1 power pins
>> ? that is, if the motherboard cant see the fan spinning it wont boot,
>> and default settings for the BIOS is probably FOC on. Insert key may not
>> work if there is nothing connected to those pins. I see you tried
>> another fan, but it may be too slow as well. Are you running the fan in
>> normal mode ? what CPU ?
>
> Done all of that. Swapped the original fan back in. As I remember, it's
> an AMD Atlhon XP 1700+.
>
> Would a bad CPU give this indication? I'm trying to eliminate
> culprits. I would think RAM, motherboard or CPU. But, if it's not the
> CPU, that makes troubleshooitng a little easier.
>
> Hopefully, I will boroow a stick of RAM this afternoon to swap in.
>
> Geoff

One more thing - the beeping is 2 seconds on then 4 seconds off.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:10:45 -0400, Geoff Fox <me@geofffox.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:07:34 -0400, Geoff Fox wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:38:36 -0400, farmuse wrote:
>>
>>> does the fan come with any 3 pin connector for CPU fan 1 power pins
>>> ? that is, if the motherboard cant see the fan spinning it wont boot,
>>> and default settings for the BIOS is probably FOC on. Insert key may not
>>> work if there is nothing connected to those pins. I see you tried
>>> another fan, but it may be too slow as well. Are you running the fan in
>>> normal mode ? what CPU ?
>>
>> Done all of that. Swapped the original fan back in. As I remember, it's
>> an AMD Atlhon XP 1700+.
>>
>> Would a bad CPU give this indication? I'm trying to eliminate
>> culprits. I would think RAM, motherboard or CPU. But, if it's not the
>> CPU, that makes troubleshooitng a little easier.
>>
>> Hopefully, I will boroow a stick of RAM this afternoon to swap in.
>>
>> Geoff
>
>One more thing - the beeping is 2 seconds on then 4 seconds off.

Does it just keep beeping? Or is it like 5(or some set #) of the
'beep-silence' cycles?
If it just keeps beeping, I'd strongly suspect the motherboard.
Especially if your memory is known to be good.

Have you a friend/local shop where you can test the cpu? And have you
tried booting the thing outside the case, to eliminate any possible
shorting-out?
--
-denny-

Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
--David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans

You may have damaged the processor or the board when installing the fan, the
processor may not show any visible damage. Sadly, this happened on my
wife's 1800+ a couple of years ago. Try the processor in a known good
computer or take it into a computer shop and ask them to test it for you.