spittoon problem on HP 882c deskjet

Hi.

My HP printer recently stopped working. On power-up it emmits a loud
hum and then goes into an error state. So I pulled the thing apart
and isolated the problem to the spittoon mechanism. What seems to be
happening is the carriage that's driven by the attached motor and
gears gets to the end of its travel but the motor still wants to drive
it. Ergo, the noise. If I manually reset the gear-driven carriage
and then cycle the power I get the familiar start up sound as the
carriage is driven through its normal travel but then the motor again
tried to drive it forward past its stop.

So I figure either the electronics that control the motor are
defective or the motor itself is defective (i.e., not reversing).

Does any kind soul know if:

1) This is a common problem with a known solution?

2) If these sort of parts are even available?

On 2), I gather from other past posts that HP parts can be hard to
get. I went to their parts web site which was quite helpful in
identifying part names (such as spittoon) but when I clicked on them,
most were unavailable.

Thanks.

-jim
3 answers Last reply
More about spittoon problem 882c deskjet

    "Jim Schlemmer" <schlamalio@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > My HP printer recently stopped working. On power-up it emmits a loud
    > hum and then goes into an error state. So I pulled the thing apart
    > and isolated the problem to the spittoon mechanism. What seems to be
    > happening is the carriage that's driven by the attached motor and
    > gears gets to the end of its travel but the motor still wants to drive
    > it. Ergo, the noise. If I manually reset the gear-driven carriage
    > and then cycle the power I get the familiar start up sound as the
    > carriage is driven through its normal travel but then the motor again
    > tried to drive it forward past its stop.

    I had a HP882 which was replaced with a much better printer, a Canon
    i850. When the 882 was replaced I took the 882 apart so I know something
    of its construction. The motor in the HP882 is a 2 wire DC motor run
    in servo mode. Since the motor moves your carriage, the motor is good.
    Your problem is either the carriage is blocked at end of travel and
    does not reach its home position, or the sensor that detects the home
    position is most likely dirty or defective. The noise is the motor trying
    to drive the carriage home. The error message is the carriage was not
    detected as being home in a prescribed time.

    Thanks, Ray. I'll have a look to see if I can locate the sensor. I
    didn't notice any wires going anywhere except to the motor. However,
    the entire area is pretty gunked up and so a thorough cleaning would
    be in order at any rate.

    -jim

    I believe I have experienced similar problems with a deskjet 550c.
    On alternate power ups, the carriage mechanism goes through a warm up cycle
    then emits a kind of doyng/clang noise. Turn off and on and it sets up
    normally.
    The printer runs like this for maybe 6 months, then it won't start, just
    doyng/clangs with every power up.
    I then remove the motor which holds and lowers the cartridge housing, make
    sure everything is free, re-fit the motor and (hopefully) it operates, every
    other switch on, for another 6 months!

    Phil

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals