Mobo with raid fried - What are my options?

I've got a fried (ugh) Dragon Ultra Platinum (SY-KT333) mobo and cpu
(2200). I need to replace them both with little to no impact to the
rest of the hardware in my system (memory, HDS, etc.) I've got two
raided hard drives set up as Raid 0 using the onboard Hipoint raid
controler. I'm not certain how that's going to hinder what
replacement boards I have to choose from. Do I need a board with the
exact same raid controler? Will I run into problems if I get a board
with another brand controler?

Would you recommend the SY-KT400 as a replacement? I'm inclined to
replace the fried stuff with identical hardware but wouldn't mind
turning this into a upgrade opportunity.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

Talk to Soyo... if you can get them to answer the phone.

And NEVER use RAID 0 unless the data is expendable.

Prang

On 10 May 2004 14:25:53 -0700, hammeriam@hotmail.com (The Hammer)
wrote:

>I've got a fried (ugh) Dragon Ultra Platinum (SY-KT333) mobo and cpu
>(2200). I need to replace them both with little to no impact to the
>rest of the hardware in my system (memory, HDS, etc.) I've got two
>raided hard drives set up as Raid 0 using the onboard Hipoint raid
>controler. I'm not certain how that's going to hinder what
>replacement boards I have to choose from. Do I need a board with the
>exact same raid controler? Will I run into problems if I get a board
>with another brand controler?
>
>Would you recommend the SY-KT400 as a replacement? I'm inclined to
>replace the fried stuff with identical hardware but wouldn't mind
>turning this into a upgrade opportunity.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>

>Jeff

Wizard Prang <wizard_prang@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<kv90a0t33ka1n8v1aqji9nmht5v7qualur@4ax.com>...

Thats a little overboard there. A RAID-0 array can be backed up and
any importand data should be backed up anyway be it on a RAID-0 array
or just a single drive.

Now as to the original question, the only way you would be able to
just plug the array in and not have any problems would not only
require the same motherboard but it would also require that board to
have the very same BIOS version. Since many BIOS updates also update
the RAID controller.

> Talk to Soyo... if you can get them to answer the phone.
>
> And NEVER use RAID 0 unless the data is expendable.
>
> Prang
>
> On 10 May 2004 14:25:53 -0700, hammeriam@hotmail.com (The Hammer)
> wrote:
>
> >I've got a fried (ugh) Dragon Ultra Platinum (SY-KT333) mobo and cpu
> >(2200). I need to replace them both with little to no impact to the
> >rest of the hardware in my system (memory, HDS, etc.) I've got two
> >raided hard drives set up as Raid 0 using the onboard Hipoint raid
> >controler. I'm not certain how that's going to hinder what
> >replacement boards I have to choose from. Do I need a board with the
> >exact same raid controler? Will I run into problems if I get a board
> >with another brand controler?
> >
> >Would you recommend the SY-KT400 as a replacement? I'm inclined to
> >replace the fried stuff with identical hardware but wouldn't mind
> >turning this into a upgrade opportunity.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any help.
> >

> >Jeff

Jim B. typed:

> Wizard Prang <wizard_prang@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>
> Thats a little overboard there. A RAID-0 array can be backed up and
> any importand data should be backed up anyway be it on a RAID-0 array
> or just a single drive.
>
> Now as to the original question, the only way you would be able to
> just plug the array in and not have any problems would not only
> require the same motherboard but it would also require that board to
> have the very same BIOS version. Since many BIOS updates also update
> the RAID controller.

If that would be true, then if you'd have RAIDed array and you would update
BIOS, after updating, your existing array wouldn't work anymore. So, my
guess is that if you have same or newer BIOS, or should i say RAID
controller (since BIOS really doesn't have effect on RAID itself), it would
be just fine. And sure, same RAID controller manufacturer.

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:<Kitpc.2841$37.375832@news.siol.net>...
> Jim B. typed:
>
> > Wizard Prang <wizard_prang@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Thats a little overboard there. A RAID-0 array can be backed up and
> > any importand data should be backed up anyway be it on a RAID-0 array
> > or just a single drive.
> >
> > Now as to the original question, the only way you would be able to
> > just plug the array in and not have any problems would not only
> > require the same motherboard but it would also require that board to
> > have the very same BIOS version. Since many BIOS updates also update
> > the RAID controller.

Yes that is correct when I built my first RAID-0 array a few years
back all worked fine until I updated my motherboard's BIOS. The new
BIOS file included an update to the Highpoint 372 controller (firmware
update). After the flash and clearing of CMOS and rebooting, resetting
the BIOS to previous settings the RAID-0 array was no longer detected.
After looking at the SOYO download page I found a new driver for the
Highpoint Controller, if I would have updated the driver first (as I
have done since learning this) the array would still have been
detected.

So yes, he would need the very same BIOS file as his original
motherboard had. Unless he can verify that any later version of the
BIOS for his motherboard did not update the RAID controller. If any
newer BIOS file did not update the controller it should work. But if
there was an update to the controller it will not detect the array
without the latest driver for the controller and since his controller
is dead there is no way to update the driver for the controller first.

So in a way your incorrect about the BIOS having any effect on the
RAID itself, sometimes the BIOS file includes a firmware update for
the RAID controller. Not every time but sometimes.

> If that would be true, then if you'd have RAIDed array and you would update
> BIOS, after updating, your existing array wouldn't work anymore. So, my
> guess is that if you have same or newer BIOS, or should i say RAID
> controller (since BIOS really doesn't have effect on RAID itself), it would
> be just fine. And sure, same RAID controller manufacturer.
>

> >> Talk to Soyo... if you can get them to answer the phone.
> >>
> >> And NEVER use RAID 0 unless the data is expendable.
> >>
> >> Prang

Jim B. typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Jim B. typed:
>>
>>> Wizard Prang <wizard_prang@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Thats a little overboard there. A RAID-0 array can be backed up and
>>> any importand data should be backed up anyway be it on a RAID-0
>>> array or just a single drive.
>>>
>>> Now as to the original question, the only way you would be able to
>>> just plug the array in and not have any problems would not only
>>> require the same motherboard but it would also require that board to
>>> have the very same BIOS version. Since many BIOS updates also update
>>> the RAID controller.
>>

> Yes that is correct when I built my first RAID-0 array a few years
> back all worked fine until I updated my motherboard's BIOS. The new
> BIOS file included an update to the Highpoint 372 controller (firmware
> update). After the flash and clearing of CMOS and rebooting, resetting
> the BIOS to previous settings the RAID-0 array was no longer detected.
> After looking at the SOYO download page I found a new driver for the
> Highpoint Controller, if I would have updated the driver first (as I
> have done since learning this) the array would still have been
> detected.
>
> So yes, he would need the very same BIOS file as his original
> motherboard had. Unless he can verify that any later version of the
> BIOS for his motherboard did not update the RAID controller. If any
> newer BIOS file did not update the controller it should work. But if
> there was an update to the controller it will not detect the array
> without the latest driver for the controller and since his controller
> is dead there is no way to update the driver for the controller first.
>
> So in a way your incorrect about the BIOS having any effect on the
> RAID itself, sometimes the BIOS file includes a firmware update for
> the RAID controller. Not every time but sometimes.

Damn... Well, luckily i run RAID1 array, so if all above happens, i guess at
least one of my HDD's will be readable...
But it's still very funny - stupid... normally array should work or at least
update itself after upgrade...