secondary ide problem - DMA + PIO

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

i can't change the second dvd drives transfer mode from PIO to DMA.
Even on reinstallation, the problem still occures Someone suggested
using a seperate IDE card ? The second drive is used soley to read
dvd-ram discs

Primary IDE
Device 0
HDD maxtor
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 6

Device 1
(not used)
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

Secondary IDE
Device 0
master
Dvd-recorder : nec nd-2500a (the burner)
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Device 1
slave
Dvd-rom : lg gdr8163b (the dvd-ram reader)
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: pio mode (greyed out – no choice)

peter

Hi,

Usually the DVD player has the DMA mode 4 to 5 and the DVD writer only has
DMA mode 2. I would suggest you to jumper the DVD-rom as master and the DVD
writer as slave then connect the DVD-rom as master and the DVD writer as
slave writer.
You can use the 40 Pin 40 wires IDE cable for connection as above mentioned.

However, for best solution, I would suggest you to use a 40 Pin 80 wires
shielded IDE cable ( it's cheap, only a few $). By using this kind of cable,
you can set the jumper to CS (cable select) for both drives and then connect
the DVD -rom to master and the writer to slave.

Peter

--
Peter

"colin" wrote:

> i can't change the second dvd drives transfer mode from PIO to DMA.
> Even on reinstallation, the problem still occures Someone suggested
> using a seperate IDE card ? The second drive is used soley to read
> dvd-ram discs
>
> Primary IDE
> Device 0
> HDD maxtor
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 6
>
> Device 1
> (not used)
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable
>
> Secondary IDE
> Device 0
> master
> Dvd-recorder : nec nd-2500a (the burner)
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2
>
> Device 1
> slave
> Dvd-rom : lg gdr8163b (the dvd-ram reader)
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current Transfer Mode: pio mode (greyed out – no choice)

Hi, Colin.

Do you need to change DMA settings in your computer's BIOS?

If you post the make and model of your computer or motherboard, someone here
might recognize it and have some advice for you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"colin" <colin2000@talk21.com> wrote in message
>i can't change the second dvd drives transfer mode from PIO to DMA.
> Even on reinstallation, the problem still occures Someone suggested
> using a seperate IDE card ? The second drive is used soley to read
> dvd-ram discs
>
> Primary IDE
> Device 0
> HDD maxtor
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 6
>
> Device 1
> (not used)
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable
>
> Secondary IDE
> Device 0
> master
> Dvd-recorder : nec nd-2500a (the burner)
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2
>
> Device 1
> slave
> Dvd-rom : lg gdr8163b (the dvd-ram reader)
> Transfer mode: DMA if available
> Current Transfer Mode: pio mode (greyed out - no choice)

Board model would help,however if its a 850 or less intel chipset,go to intel,
downloads,chipset software,download application accelerator v2.3 In this
utility,you can adjust the modes for all drives installed,otherwise adjust
thru
the BIOS.