Newbie - DVD Rom problem

Hi
Not sure if this is the correct forum, if not my apologies.

The problem I have is that my toshiba dvd-rom drive recently will not
read/recognise/play any form of dvd. including: new retail dvd's, 'back-up'
copies of dvd's, magasine cover disks etc..
It will however play all cd format disks: audio, cdrom, cd-r /rw etc..
Is this a hardware or software fault? Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.

For info:
Windows XP Home SP2
Media PLayer 10
intervideo windvd 6
I have also installed: Smart Movie Convertor & OSS Movie Convertor (to
compress downloaded movies to fit on my mobile phone).
I have also recently installed and then removed Alchohol 120% - but the
problem existed prior to this.

Not sure when this problem started as I rarely used the drive for movie
playback.

Sorry if this thread has gone on or if the solution is simple, but I am
pretty new to all this.

Thanks in advance for any help

peter

Hi,

Have you changed the DVD region for more than 5 times?
If yes, it is locked to the last DVD region you have selected.
--
Peter

"Gordie" wrote:

> Hi
> Not sure if this is the correct forum, if not my apologies.
>
> The problem I have is that my toshiba dvd-rom drive recently will not
> read/recognise/play any form of dvd. including: new retail dvd's, 'back-up'
> copies of dvd's, magasine cover disks etc..
> It will however play all cd format disks: audio, cdrom, cd-r /rw etc..
> Is this a hardware or software fault? Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.
>
> For info:
> Windows XP Home SP2
> Media PLayer 10
> intervideo windvd 6
> I have also installed: Smart Movie Convertor & OSS Movie Convertor (to
> compress downloaded movies to fit on my mobile phone).
> I have also recently installed and then removed Alchohol 120% - but the
> problem existed prior to this.
>
> Not sure when this problem started as I rarely used the drive for movie
> playback.
>
> Sorry if this thread has gone on or if the solution is simple, but I am
> pretty new to all this.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help

Hi
nope not changed the region more than 5 times.
just for referece - in case it wasnt clear from original post -it isnt just
dvd movies my drive wont recognise, it is 'data' dvd's also, i.e. tje dvd's
you get on the front of pc magasines with various trial programmes etc. I
think the drive is just kna**ered. but am just looking for some advice before
going to the expense and hassle of fitting a new drive.

Thanks again

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have you changed the DVD region for more than 5 times?
> If yes, it is locked to the last DVD region you have selected.
> --
> Peter
>

> "Gordie" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Not sure if this is the correct forum, if not my apologies.
> >
> > The problem I have is that my toshiba dvd-rom drive recently will not
> > read/recognise/play any form of dvd. including: new retail dvd's, 'back-up'
> > copies of dvd's, magasine cover disks etc..
> > It will however play all cd format disks: audio, cdrom, cd-r /rw etc..
> > Is this a hardware or software fault? Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.
> >
> > For info:
> > Windows XP Home SP2
> > Media PLayer 10
> > intervideo windvd 6
> > I have also installed: Smart Movie Convertor & OSS Movie Convertor (to
> > compress downloaded movies to fit on my mobile phone).
> > I have also recently installed and then removed Alchohol 120% - but the
> > problem existed prior to this.
> >
> > Not sure when this problem started as I rarely used the drive for movie
> > playback.
> >
> > Sorry if this thread has gone on or if the solution is simple, but I am
> > pretty new to all this.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help

peter

Hi,

If you are not sure what are the causes of this problem, pls try this as the
first step:
Go to device manager and uninstall the toshiba DVD rom then reboot, let
windows search and re-install the drivers. Go to device manager again and
check for the Toshiba drive, if there is no yellow ? or red cross on the
drive, try play the DVD movie again.

Pls post back to NG for the outcome.
--
Peter

"gordie" wrote:

> Hi
> nope not changed the region more than 5 times.
> just for referece - in case it wasnt clear from original post -it isnt just
> dvd movies my drive wont recognise, it is 'data' dvd's also, i.e. tje dvd's
> you get on the front of pc magasines with various trial programmes etc. I
> think the drive is just kna**ered. but am just looking for some advice before
> going to the expense and hassle of fitting a new drive.
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Have you changed the DVD region for more than 5 times?
> > If yes, it is locked to the last DVD region you have selected.
> > --
> > Peter
> >

> > "Gordie" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > Not sure if this is the correct forum, if not my apologies.
> > >
> > > The problem I have is that my toshiba dvd-rom drive recently will not
> > > read/recognise/play any form of dvd. including: new retail dvd's, 'back-up'
> > > copies of dvd's, magasine cover disks etc..
> > > It will however play all cd format disks: audio, cdrom, cd-r /rw etc..
> > > Is this a hardware or software fault? Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > For info:
> > > Windows XP Home SP2
> > > Media PLayer 10
> > > intervideo windvd 6
> > > I have also installed: Smart Movie Convertor & OSS Movie Convertor (to
> > > compress downloaded movies to fit on my mobile phone).
> > > I have also recently installed and then removed Alchohol 120% - but the
> > > problem existed prior to this.
> > >
> > > Not sure when this problem started as I rarely used the drive for movie
> > > playback.
> > >
> > > Sorry if this thread has gone on or if the solution is simple, but I am
> > > pretty new to all this.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Peter

Thanks for your advice. No Joy im afraid. Device manager recognises the
drive as being there and working correctly (no yellow or red signs either).

to let you know when I try and acces the disk via windows explorer I get the
following message:

Disk Not Formatted

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could
be using a format that is not compatible with windows.

Also in my computer when I right click and select properties whilst the
drive is named as a dvd-rom drive, it lists the type as a cd drive would this
make a difference?

This appears no matter what 'dvd format' I try and access, but as said
previously there is no problem with 'cd format' disks.

Again sorry to go on, and thanks for your advice.

Gordon

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you are not sure what are the causes of this problem, pls try this as the
> first step:
> Go to device manager and uninstall the toshiba DVD rom then reboot, let
> windows search and re-install the drivers. Go to device manager again and
> check for the Toshiba drive, if there is no yellow ? or red cross on the
> drive, try play the DVD movie again.
>
> Pls post back to NG for the outcome.
> --
> Peter
>

> "gordie" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > nope not changed the region more than 5 times.
> > just for referece - in case it wasnt clear from original post -it isnt just
> > dvd movies my drive wont recognise, it is 'data' dvd's also, i.e. tje dvd's
> > you get on the front of pc magasines with various trial programmes etc. I
> > think the drive is just kna**ered. but am just looking for some advice before
> > going to the expense and hassle of fitting a new drive.
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Have you changed the DVD region for more than 5 times?
> > > If yes, it is locked to the last DVD region you have selected.
> > > --
> > > Peter

peter

Gordon,

Can you tell me what is the brand and model of the DVD-rom or DVD writer?

BTW, what burning softwares you have installed and removed recently?

--
Peter

"gordie" wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> Thanks for your advice. No Joy im afraid. Device manager recognises the
> drive as being there and working correctly (no yellow or red signs either).
>
> to let you know when I try and acces the disk via windows explorer I get the
> following message:
>
> Disk Not Formatted
>
> Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could
> be using a format that is not compatible with windows.
>
> Also in my computer when I right click and select properties whilst the
> drive is named as a dvd-rom drive, it lists the type as a cd drive would this
> make a difference?
>
> This appears no matter what 'dvd format' I try and access, but as said
> previously there is no problem with 'cd format' disks.
>
> Again sorry to go on, and thanks for your advice.
>
> Gordon
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you are not sure what are the causes of this problem, pls try this as the
> > first step:
> > Go to device manager and uninstall the toshiba DVD rom then reboot, let
> > windows search and re-install the drivers. Go to device manager again and
> > check for the Toshiba drive, if there is no yellow ? or red cross on the
> > drive, try play the DVD movie again.
> >
> > Pls post back to NG for the outcome.
> > --
> > Peter
> >

> > "gordie" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > nope not changed the region more than 5 times.
> > > just for referece - in case it wasnt clear from original post -it isnt just
> > > dvd movies my drive wont recognise, it is 'data' dvd's also, i.e. tje dvd's
> > > you get on the front of pc magasines with various trial programmes etc. I
> > > think the drive is just kna**ered. but am just looking for some advice before
> > > going to the expense and hassle of fitting a new drive.
> > >
> > > Thanks again

Hi

The Model is: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM, SD-M1712.

The only thing I have installed (and subsequently removed) recently are:

Alchohol 120% trial
and DVD 2 SONY demo.

Do you think one of these has removed something?

thanks again

Gordon

"Peter" wrote:

> Gordon,
>
> Can you tell me what is the brand and model of the DVD-rom or DVD writer?
>
> BTW, what burning softwares you have installed and removed recently?
>
> --
> Peter
>

> "gordie" wrote:
>
> > Hi Peter
> >
> > Thanks for your advice. No Joy im afraid. Device manager recognises the
> > drive as being there and working correctly (no yellow or red signs either).
> >
> > to let you know when I try and acces the disk via windows explorer I get the
> > following message:
> >
> > Disk Not Formatted
> >
> > Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could
> > be using a format that is not compatible with windows.
> >
> > Also in my computer when I right click and select properties whilst the
> > drive is named as a dvd-rom drive, it lists the type as a cd drive would this
> > make a difference?
> >
> > This appears no matter what 'dvd format' I try and access, but as said
> > previously there is no problem with 'cd format' disks.
> >
> > Again sorry to go on, and thanks for your advice.
> >
> > Gordon
> >

> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > If you are not sure what are the causes of this problem, pls try this as the
> > > first step:
> > > Go to device manager and uninstall the toshiba DVD rom then reboot, let
> > > windows search and re-install the drivers. Go to device manager again and
> > > check for the Toshiba drive, if there is no yellow ? or red cross on the
> > > drive, try play the DVD movie again.
> > >
> > > Pls post back to NG for the outcome.
> > > --
> > > Peter

I'd suspect the Alcohol 120

gordie wrote:

> Hi
>
> The Model is: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM, SD-M1712.
>
> The only thing I have installed (and subsequently removed) recently are:
>
> Alchohol 120% trial
> and DVD 2 SONY demo.
>
> Do you think one of these has removed something?
>
> thanks again
>
> Gordon
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>

>>Gordon,
>>
>>Can you tell me what is the brand and model of the DVD-rom or DVD writer?
>>
>>BTW, what burning softwares you have installed and removed recently?
>>
>>--
>>Peter
>>

>>"gordie" wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Peter
>>>
>>>Thanks for your advice. No Joy im afraid. Device manager recognises the
>>>drive as being there and working correctly (no yellow or red signs either).
>>>
>>>to let you know when I try and acces the disk via windows explorer I get the
>>>following message:
>>>
>>>Disk Not Formatted
>>>
>>>Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could
>>>be using a format that is not compatible with windows.
>>>
>>>Also in my computer when I right click and select properties whilst the
>>>drive is named as a dvd-rom drive, it lists the type as a cd drive would this
>>>make a difference?
>>>
>>>This appears no matter what 'dvd format' I try and access, but as said
>>>previously there is no problem with 'cd format' disks.
>>>
>>>Again sorry to go on, and thanks for your advice.
>>>
>>>Gordon

Hi

Ok so maybe its alchohol 120, any ideas on how to rectify the problem?

"Bob I" wrote:

> I'd suspect the Alcohol 120
>
> gordie wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > The Model is: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM, SD-M1712.
> >
> > The only thing I have installed (and subsequently removed) recently are:
> >
> > Alchohol 120% trial
> > and DVD 2 SONY demo.
> >
> > Do you think one of these has removed something?
> >
> > thanks again
> >
> > Gordon
> >
> > "Peter" wrote:
> >

> >>Gordon,
> >>
> >>Can you tell me what is the brand and model of the DVD-rom or DVD writer?
> >>
> >>BTW, what burning softwares you have installed and removed recently?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Peter

I suspect that you will need to reinstall the dvd related software for
your system, ie, whatever you were using before you started installing
the trial software.