[Help] Soyo SY-5SSM mb and Pine PCI video card

Would anyone happen to know if there is a compatibility issue with these
two?

Soyo support has not been very helpful. I'm trying to install a 32M
Pine PCI video card (XP-PCI3800) in the Soyo motherboard. After numerous
tries my motherboard will not recognize the card. It doesn't have an AGP
slot, has onboard video, and I know all of the slots work with a modem
and/or Ethernet card.

I have flashed the newest Bios from the Soyo site and have tried
numerous Bios settings (Init Disp First = PCI especially) including deleting
the display adapter in Device Manager. Yet my computer (running Windows
98SE) still refuses to acknowledge the PCI video card. I've never gotten a
signal to the monitor from the card and windows has never recognized it as
PnP or otherwise. Windows will always recognize the onboard video and
install it's drivers.

I am at a loss, especially since there is no jumper on the board to
disable the onboard video. According to Soyo, I should just plug the card
in and it will be recognized as PnP when I get to windows if the BIOS Init
Disp First = PCI. And after getting a defective authorization number from
Pine and a new identical card I am back in the same jam. So I know the card
is good and all of the slots work with other types of PCI cards.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Squad wrote:
> Would anyone happen to know if there is a compatibility issue with these
> two?
>
> Soyo support has not been very helpful. I'm trying to install a 32M
> Pine PCI video card (XP-PCI3800) in the Soyo motherboard. After numerous
> tries my motherboard will not recognize the card. It doesn't have an AGP
> slot, has onboard video, and I know all of the slots work with a modem
> and/or Ethernet card.
>
> I have flashed the newest Bios from the Soyo site and have tried
> numerous Bios settings (Init Disp First = PCI especially) including deleting
> the display adapter in Device Manager. Yet my computer (running Windows
> 98SE) still refuses to acknowledge the PCI video card. I've never gotten a
> signal to the monitor from the card and windows has never recognized it as
> PnP or otherwise. Windows will always recognize the onboard video and
> install it's drivers.
>
> I am at a loss, especially since there is no jumper on the board to
> disable the onboard video. According to Soyo, I should just plug the card
> in and it will be recognized as PnP when I get to windows if the BIOS Init
> Disp First = PCI. And after getting a defective authorization number from
> Pine and a new identical card I am back in the same jam. So I know the card
> is good and all of the slots work with other types of PCI cards.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated

Squad,

Have you found a solution? I've got the same problem with this graphics
card and 2 different socket 7 based motherboards (a PCHIPS PM-599LMR
with onboard SIS530 video, and an ATC-5200 with AGP slot - which still
doesn't work with the AGP card removed - both PC's recognise an ancient
Trident based PCI graphics card if plugged in, so I know the PCI slots
work). Like yourself I've upgraded to latest BIOS and changed the
options, all with no joy.

Come Monday I'm sending the card back - I was going for a swap on the
basis that the card is broken, but having found your post I may change that.

In the meantime I've e-mailed Pine.

Chris.

Tallchris wrote:
> Squad wrote:
>
>> Would anyone happen to know if there is a compatibility issue with
>> these
>> two?
>>
>> Soyo support has not been very helpful. I'm trying to install a 32M
>> Pine PCI video card (XP-PCI3800) in the Soyo motherboard. After numerous
>> tries my motherboard will not recognize the card. It doesn't have an AGP
>> slot, has onboard video, and I know all of the slots work with a modem
>> and/or Ethernet card.
>>
>> I have flashed the newest Bios from the Soyo site and have tried
>> numerous Bios settings (Init Disp First = PCI especially) including
>> deleting
>> the display adapter in Device Manager. Yet my computer (running Windows
>> 98SE) still refuses to acknowledge the PCI video card. I've never
>> gotten a
>> signal to the monitor from the card and windows has never recognized
>> it as
>> PnP or otherwise. Windows will always recognize the onboard video and
>> install it's drivers.
>>
>> I am at a loss, especially since there is no jumper on the board to
>> disable the onboard video. According to Soyo, I should just plug the
>> card
>> in and it will be recognized as PnP when I get to windows if the BIOS
>> Init
>> Disp First = PCI. And after getting a defective authorization number
>> from
>> Pine and a new identical card I am back in the same jam. So I know
>> the card
>> is good and all of the slots work with other types of PCI cards.
>>
>> any help would be greatly appreciated
>>

> Squad,
>
> Have you found a solution? I've got the same problem with this graphics
> card and 2 different socket 7 based motherboards (a PCHIPS PM-599LMR
> with onboard SIS530 video, and an ATC-5200 with AGP slot - which still
> doesn't work with the AGP card removed - both PC's recognise an ancient
> Trident based PCI graphics card if plugged in, so I know the PCI slots
> work). Like yourself I've upgraded to latest BIOS and changed the
> options, all with no joy.
>
> Come Monday I'm sending the card back - I was going for a swap on the
> basis that the card is broken, but having found your post I may change
> that.
>
> In the meantime I've e-mailed Pine.
>
> Chris.

Still not working - however I trawled http://www.pine-support.com with
Google and found the following page of information - it doesn't work for
me - but might help someone:
http://www.pine-support.com/SCRIPTS/faq_graphics_tnt_adendum.htm
"
Question
After installing the M64 / Vanta PCI VGA (T03/T04) card into my computer
and turning on the system, the screen is blank and does not show any
booting information.
Answer
The possible reason is that the VGA card has not been detected by your
computer system. The first display device is usually determined by the
BIOS setup. For some mainboards, the first display device will be set to
AGP card or onboard VGA. If you insert a PCI card into the system, the
PCI card will probably not be detected by the system and the screen will
become blank.

Your system with AGP slot.

1.Turn off your computer, unplug the PCI VGA card, insert a AGP VGA into
AGP slot, connect your monitor with the AGP card.

2.Turn on your computer, hold the DEL key to enter BIOS setup during
system boot up.

3.Select Integrated Peripherals.

4.Select Init Display First.

5.Press PageUp or PageDown to select PCI Slot.

6.Press Esc.

7.Select Save Changes and Exits.

8.Turn off your computer, unplug the AGP VGA card, insert the PCI VGA
card into PCI slot and connect your monitor with the PCI VGA card.

9.Reboot system.

Your system with VGA onboard without AGP slot.

1.Turn off your computer, unplug the PCI VGA, connect your monitor with
the onboard VGA.

2.Turn on your computer, hold the DEL key to enter BIOS setup during
system boot up.

3.Select Integrated Peripherals.

4.Select Init Display First.

5.Press PageUp or PageDown to select PCI Slot.

6.Turn off On Board VGA (if the BIOS has this option).

7.Press Esc.

8.Select Save Changes and Exits.

9.Turn off your computer, insert the PCI VGA card into PCI slot and
connect your monitor with the PCI VGA card.

10.Reboot system.

Remarks: For some integrated VGA systems, the PCI INIT command will
require a 2nd re-boot to complete the installation. In this case, after
you have followed the procedures for PCI INIT, should the system not
boot, then proceed to RE-BOOT the system a 2nd time.

End quote.

Tallchris.

I don't think you will have any luck getting the PCI video card to work on
your system. The "Initialize Display First" entry in the motherboard BIOS
only sets which type of card to use first, AGP or PCI. Since your
motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot the setting is useless. With no BIOS
option to disable the onboard video it's alway going to be on. Now Win98SE
should support two monitors which would require the added PCI video card
even if it did have AGP.

Looking at the link from pine you provided says it should work if you do it
as they set out. If you did this like it tells you to do (including the
second re-boot) and it doesn't work the first thing to look at is the video
card. Have you confirmed the video card does indeed work? If you don't have
another computer to try it in, take it to a computer shop and ask them to
test it for you. If the video card tests out fine and the instructions from
Pine didn't work I guess you just out of luck. Things like this happen with
old system componets and the board is getting a little old by computer
standards.
"Tallchris"
<vikinghat55_removethenumberstoe-mail@111000remove999.bluyonder.co.uk> wrote
in message news:LXeyc.1478$nh3.12915944@news-text.cableinet.net...

Jim B. wrote:
> I don't think you will have any luck getting the PCI video card to work on
> your system. The "Initialize Display First" entry in the motherboard BIOS
> only sets which type of card to use first, AGP or PCI. Since your
> motherboard doesn't have an AGP slot the setting is useless. With no BIOS
> option to disable the onboard video it's alway going to be on. Now Win98SE
> should support two monitors which would require the added PCI video card
> even if it did have AGP.

I have to say I agree, but you post in hope of someone knowing a
workaround. As for Windows whatever version supporting 2 monitors they
sure don't when as in this case the BIOS is not detecting the card -
makes you wonder if that is why the card was cheap! I had put it down to
being old stock of an out of production card.

It's just a shame in my case that the old PCI trident graphics card that
does work (and for which the "Initialize Display First" entry does
work), has so little capability by todays standards. I think I'll be
avoiding PINE in the future - you live and learn.

> [...]
>>
>>1.Turn off your computer, unplug the PCI VGA, connect your monitor with
>>the onboard VGA.
>>
>>2.Turn on your computer, hold the DEL key to enter BIOS setup during
>>system boot up.
>>
>>3.Select Integrated Peripherals.
>>
>>4.Select Init Display First.
>>
>>5.Press PageUp or PageDown to select PCI Slot.
>>
>>6.Turn off On Board VGA (if the BIOS has this option).
>>
>>7.Press Esc.
>>
>>8.Select Save Changes and Exits.
>>
>>9.Turn off your computer, insert the PCI VGA card into PCI slot and
>>connect your monitor with the PCI VGA card.
>>
>>10.Reboot system.
>>
>>Remarks: For some integrated VGA systems, the PCI INIT command will
>>require a 2nd re-boot to complete the installation. In this case, after
>>you have followed the procedures for PCI INIT, should the system not
>>boot, then proceed to RE-BOOT the system a 2nd time.

Now eating humble pie - the PINE card works fine in an ECS socket A
motherboard, from which I deduce my problems with socket 7 motherboards
were caused by the PCI versions of the PINE card and the motherboard
being too far apart.... obvious really! but not helped by kit generally
being advertised as PCI rather than PCI version XX.

Tallchris