flash bios from CD?

Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.
7 answers Last reply
More about flash bios

    I don't know if its possible but it seems like it should be if your CD drive
    has DOS support. It is possible to do it from your hard drive. Again it must
    be done in DOS. Just place the unziped BIOS file and the Awardflash program
    somewhere that you can find it in DOS on the hard drive.
    "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
    > rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
    > replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    This did not work. I put the bios in a temp folder and then went to a
    command prompt but when I run the Awardflash program it says there is no Win
    xp support. I then tried booting safe mode command prompt only but that
    didn't work either so I may just end up replacing the floppy unless someone
    can tell me how to make a bootable dos cd.

    "Jim B." <jburghdoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know if its possible but it seems like it should be if your CD
    drive
    > has DOS support. It is possible to do it from your hard drive. Again it
    must
    > be done in DOS. Just place the unziped BIOS file and the Awardflash
    program
    > somewhere that you can find it in DOS on the hard drive.
    > "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
    > > rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
    > > replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Random reboots seemed solved for the moment. I had upgraded my ram from
    512MB Crucial to 1GB. 512 Crucial and 512 Kingston.

    I changed dram setting in bios from 'by spd' to 'manual' and set to 100. All
    seems stable for the moment.

    "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
    > rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
    > replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Sorry, I should have added that you would need to boot the computer with a
    DOS boot disk. WinXP doesn't have true DOS support so as you found out
    Awardflash doesn't have XP support. You could have booted with a Win98 or
    any DOS boot disk to do as I said and you can also find these disks a
    www.bootdisk.com .
    > This did not work. I put the bios in a temp folder and then went to a
    > command prompt but when I run the Awardflash program it says there is no
    Win
    > xp support. I then tried booting safe mode command prompt only but that
    > didn't work either so I may just end up replacing the floppy unless
    someone
    > can tell me how to make a bootable dos cd.
    >
    > "Jim B." <jburghdoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't know if its possible but it seems like it should be if your CD
    > drive
    > > has DOS support. It is possible to do it from your hard drive. Again it
    > must
    > > be done in DOS. Just place the unziped BIOS file and the Awardflash
    > program
    > > somewhere that you can find it in DOS on the hard drive.
    > > "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
    > > > Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a
    CD
    > > > rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
    > > > replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Glad to hear you found a cure for your problem, you didn't state in your
    first post that you were having this type of problem. All Soyo motherboards
    are very picky on memory. When using a Soyo motherboard you should always
    buy the best memory you can afford to limit problems.
    > Random reboots seemed solved for the moment. I had upgraded my ram from
    > 512MB Crucial to 1GB. 512 Crucial and 512 Kingston.
    >
    > I changed dram setting in bios from 'by spd' to 'manual' and set to 100.
    All
    > seems stable for the moment.
    >
    > "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
    > > rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
    > > replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    Thanks for all the tidbits and help.

    > Sorry, I should have added that you would need to boot the computer with a
    > DOS boot disk. WinXP doesn't have true DOS support so as you found out
    > Awardflash doesn't have XP support. You could have booted with a Win98 or
    > any DOS boot disk to do as I said and you can also find these disks a
    > www.bootdisk.com .
    > "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
    > > This did not work. I put the bios in a temp folder and then went to a
    > > command prompt but when I run the Awardflash program it says there is no
    > Win
    > > xp support. I then tried booting safe mode command prompt only but that
    > > didn't work either so I may just end up replacing the floppy unless
    > someone
    > > can tell me how to make a bootable dos cd.
    > >
    > > "Jim B." <jburghdoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I don't know if its possible but it seems like it should be if your CD
    > > drive
    > > > has DOS support. It is possible to do it from your hard drive. Again
    it
    > > must
    > > > be done in DOS. Just place the unziped BIOS file and the Awardflash
    > > program
    > > > somewhere that you can find it in DOS on the hard drive.
    > > > "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
    > CD

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:48:20 GMT, "Jim B." <jburghdoff@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Glad to hear you found a cure for your problem, you didn't state in your
    >first post that you were having this type of problem. All Soyo motherboards
    >are very picky on memory. When using a Soyo motherboard you should always
    >buy the best memory you can afford to limit problems.
    >"Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
    >> Random reboots seemed solved for the moment. I had upgraded my ram from
    >> 512MB Crucial to 1GB. 512 Crucial and 512 Kingston.

    To add to Jim B: with a picky board like the SOYO (and I'd do this
    with any high-speed cpu like AMD XP#### or P4), best is for all the
    memory to be the same brand/kind.

    On flashing--there is a flashing utility that runs under Windows:
    Winflash. Check a search engine or two.
    --
    -denny-

    Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
    an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
    --David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans

BIOS Floppy Disk Flash Soyo CD-Rom Motherboards