Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

I don't know if its possible but it seems like it should be if your CD drive
has DOS support. It is possible to do it from your hard drive. Again it must
be done in DOS. Just place the unziped BIOS file and the Awardflash program
somewhere that you can find it in DOS on the hard drive.
"Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
> Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
> rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
> replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

This did not work. I put the bios in a temp folder and then went to a
command prompt but when I run the Awardflash program it says there is no Win
xp support. I then tried booting safe mode command prompt only but that
didn't work either so I may just end up replacing the floppy unless someone
can tell me how to make a bootable dos cd.

"Jim B." <jburghdoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I don't know if its possible but it seems like it should be if your CD
drive
> has DOS support. It is possible to do it from your hard drive. Again it
must
> be done in DOS. Just place the unziped BIOS file and the Awardflash
program
> somewhere that you can find it in DOS on the hard drive.
> "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
> > rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
> > replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

Random reboots seemed solved for the moment. I had upgraded my ram from
512MB Crucial to 1GB. 512 Crucial and 512 Kingston.

I changed dram setting in bios from 'by spd' to 'manual' and set to 100. All
seems stable for the moment.

"Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
> Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
> rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
> replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

Sorry, I should have added that you would need to boot the computer with a
DOS boot disk. WinXP doesn't have true DOS support so as you found out
Awardflash doesn't have XP support. You could have booted with a Win98 or
any DOS boot disk to do as I said and you can also find these disks a
www.bootdisk.com .
> This did not work. I put the bios in a temp folder and then went to a
> command prompt but when I run the Awardflash program it says there is no
Win
> xp support. I then tried booting safe mode command prompt only but that
> didn't work either so I may just end up replacing the floppy unless
someone
> can tell me how to make a bootable dos cd.
>
> "Jim B." <jburghdoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know if its possible but it seems like it should be if your CD
> drive
> > has DOS support. It is possible to do it from your hard drive. Again it
> must
> > be done in DOS. Just place the unziped BIOS file and the Awardflash
> program
> > somewhere that you can find it in DOS on the hard drive.
> > "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
> > > Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a
CD
> > > rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
> > > replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

Glad to hear you found a cure for your problem, you didn't state in your
first post that you were having this type of problem. All Soyo motherboards
are very picky on memory. When using a Soyo motherboard you should always
buy the best memory you can afford to limit problems.
> Random reboots seemed solved for the moment. I had upgraded my ram from
> 512MB Crucial to 1GB. 512 Crucial and 512 Kingston.
>
> I changed dram setting in bios from 'by spd' to 'manual' and set to 100.
All
> seems stable for the moment.
>
> "Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to flash the bios of my Soyo Dragon Plus board using a CD
> > rather than a floppy? My floppy has gone bad and am thinking of not
> > replacing it since I rarely if ever use it.

Thanks for all the tidbits and help.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:48:20 GMT, "Jim B." <jburghdoff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Glad to hear you found a cure for your problem, you didn't state in your
>first post that you were having this type of problem. All Soyo motherboards
>are very picky on memory. When using a Soyo motherboard you should always
>buy the best memory you can afford to limit problems.
>"Cletus Stripling" <cletus@uga.edu> wrote in message
>> Random reboots seemed solved for the moment. I had upgraded my ram from
>> 512MB Crucial to 1GB. 512 Crucial and 512 Kingston.

To add to Jim B: with a picky board like the SOYO (and I'd do this
with any high-speed cpu like AMD XP#### or P4), best is for all the
memory to be the same brand/kind.

On flashing--there is a flashing utility that runs under Windows:
Winflash. Check a search engine or two.
--
-denny-

Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they see
an offence that isn't nailed down, they take it ;-)
--David C. Pugh, in alt.callahans