SOYO CD provided with motherboard

Greetings All,

I'm in the process of migrating from a FIC MB to a Soyo MB.

I'm interested in the experiences of those who likewise went
from one MB to a Soyo MB. How does one use a CD drive connected to the
new MB if drivers needed to operate the CD drive are on the Soyo CD
itself.

Seems like a catch-22 situation. Any tips? Thanx.

"Bubba B" <Icarus9876@att.net> wrote in message
> Greetings All,
>
> I'm in the process of migrating from a FIC MB to a Soyo MB.
>
> I'm interested in the experiences of those who likewise went
> from one MB to a Soyo MB. How does one use a CD drive connected to the
> new MB if drivers needed to operate the CD drive are on the Soyo CD
> itself.
>
> Seems like a catch-22 situation. Any tips? Thanx.

Did you write this message on a typewriter? Seems like you have a computer
to use the CD. Just follow the directions like everyone else does. Or you
could go to a BestBuy or Fry's and ask them to do it for you. They will I'm
sure.

Tim

Bubba B <Icarus9876@att.net> wrote in message news:<40C54D73.C164174E@worldnet.att.net>...

Drivers to operate the CD are not on a Soyo disk. CD drives have been
supported by the motherboard BIOS for some time. Also Microsoft has
included the drivers in the Windows setup software for years. Windows
98 asked you if you wanted CD support when the disk was installed and
setup began. So did Win98SE & WinME but with WinXP its just installed
before setup begins. There was a time years back when you needed to
run Windows setup from a boot floppy disk if your CD drive couldn't
detect the Windows CD.

Now there are drivers on the Soyo CD that do need to be copied to a
floppy disk if your going to use a RAID controller or SATA controller
as the primary boot drive on your system. But this is not just Soyo,
it's something Windows XP requires and is the same for other makes of
motherboards as well. If your doing something like this another
computer is required to copy the files.

> Greetings All,
>
> I'm in the process of migrating from a FIC MB to a Soyo MB.
>
> I'm interested in the experiences of those who likewise went
> from one MB to a Soyo MB. How does one use a CD drive connected to the
> new MB if drivers needed to operate the CD drive are on the Soyo CD
> itself.
>
> Seems like a catch-22 situation. Any tips? Thanx.

Bubba B <Icarus9876@att.net> wrote in message news:<40C54D73.C164174E@worldnet.att.net>...

I'll also add this, if your taking a hard drive with the operating
system out of one computer and putting it into another system with a
different motherboard. The best thing to do is make a backup of any
important data before you start and then reformat the hard drive and
do a fresh installtion of the operating system.

> Greetings All,
>
> I'm in the process of migrating from a FIC MB to a Soyo MB.
>
> I'm interested in the experiences of those who likewise went
> from one MB to a Soyo MB. How does one use a CD drive connected to the
> new MB if drivers needed to operate the CD drive are on the Soyo CD
> itself.
>
> Seems like a catch-22 situation. Any tips? Thanx.

Hi, Jim B.

Yep, That's what I have in mind. A 'transplant' of cards and
peripherals and thereby my OS ME. I really do not want to go the route
of reinstalling my ME OS, given the programs associated with it.

Naturally I have backups on HDs. So my thinking is to run the
SOYO CD on my existing system as a 'last' function. Then, in theory,
and after the 'transplant', when I boot from the new MB, ME will be
able to 'talk' with every component newly integrated with the new MB.

Thanks all for your replies. Would welcome any additional
thoughts on this approach.

BB

"Jim B." wrote:

> Bubba B <Icarus9876@att.net> wrote in message news:<40C54D73.C164174E@worldnet.att.net>...
>
> I'll also add this, if your taking a hard drive with the operating
> system out of one computer and putting it into another system with a
> different motherboard. The best thing to do is make a backup of any
> important data before you start and then reformat the hard drive and
> do a fresh installtion of the operating system.
>
> > Greetings All,
> >
> > I'm in the process of migrating from a FIC MB to a Soyo MB.
> >
> > I'm interested in the experiences of those who likewise went
> > from one MB to a Soyo MB. How does one use a CD drive connected to the
> > new MB if drivers needed to operate the CD drive are on the Soyo CD
> > itself.
> >
> > Seems like a catch-22 situation. Any tips? Thanx.

"Bubba B." <Icarus9876@att.net> wrote in message news:<40C6ABB4.634B4D4B@att.net>...

Your theory is flawed. Your system will not install device drivers for
non exsistant devices. You would have to run the disk after the first
boot of the new system, but that might not be possible if the
operating system detects to many changes. These changes could and most
likely will cause driver related errors preventing the system from
booting. Also if your building a new system it would be time to update
your operating system. WinME is by far the worst operating system to
come out of Redmond,WA. When someone comes to me for service with a
WinME computer I always recommend upgrading to XP or downgrading to
98SE. But if you want to do away with those Blue Screens of Death
there is only one way to go, WinXP.
> Hi, Jim B.
>
> Yep, That's what I have in mind. A 'transplant' of cards and
> peripherals and thereby my OS ME. I really do not want to go the route
> of reinstalling my ME OS, given the programs associated with it.
>
> Naturally I have backups on HDs. So my thinking is to run the
> SOYO CD on my existing system as a 'last' function. Then, in theory,
> and after the 'transplant', when I boot from the new MB, ME will be
> able to 'talk' with every component newly integrated with the new MB.
>
> Thanks all for your replies. Would welcome any additional
> thoughts on this approach.
>
> BB
>
> "Jim B." wrote:
> >
> > Bubba B <Icarus9876@att.net> wrote in message news:<40C54D73.C164174E@worldnet.att.net>...
> >
> > I'll also add this, if your taking a hard drive with the operating
> > system out of one computer and putting it into another system with a
> > different motherboard. The best thing to do is make a backup of any
> > important data before you start and then reformat the hard drive and
> > do a fresh installtion of the operating system.
> >
> > > Greetings All,
> > >
> > > I'm in the process of migrating from a FIC MB to a Soyo MB.
> > >
> > > I'm interested in the experiences of those who likewise went
> > > from one MB to a Soyo MB. How does one use a CD drive connected to the
> > > new MB if drivers needed to operate the CD drive are on the Soyo CD
> > > itself.
> > >
> > > Seems like a catch-22 situation. Any tips? Thanx.

JB

Thanks for your further input.

BB