Can't update BIOS on Dragon2 Platinum Edition

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2004 5:14:28 PM

Hello,

I am trying to flash the bios on 875P Dragon2 Platinum Edition from
4aa1 to 4aa2 but I keep on getting the error The program file's part
number does not match with your system.

I've used the following syntax:
awdflash p4cw4aa2.bin /f

and

awdflash p4cw4aa2.bin /py

but I keep on gettin the same error. Any ideas? Could it be that
this board cannot be updated?

Thanks.

More about : update bios dragon2 platinum edition

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2004 2:16:15 AM

First thing enter the motherboard BIOS and make sure C.I.H. Protection is
set to disabled. The C.I.H. Protection setting write protects your BIOS chip
and it can't be flashed if its set to enabled.

BIOS Rivieson P4ICW_4AA2 is an exe file and needs to be saved to your
computer and then you need to double click the file in order to extract the
files. Once extracted the files AWDFLASH and the bin file need to be copied
to a formatted floppy disk.

Then with the floppy inserted in your floppy drive reboot the computer and
when you see the Dragon Logo hit TAB then you hit ALT & F2 at the same time
this will start the Awardflash program. You should not need to enter the
commands like you did to flash this board.

Also I hope your aware that if the BIOS flash fails your motherboard will be
useless until you can either replace the BIOS chip or send it out for
reporgramming.

The 4aa2 BIOS revision only adds support for the 0.8 DRAM Ratio and support
of the new 8 in 1 CD. There are four newer BIOS revisions for this board. If
your going to flash you might as well flash with the newest 4ba4 revision it
will give you all the previous updates as well. This will give you support
for the new Prescott CPU's and the RAID 1 function of your Intel ICH5R
chitpset as well.

But as I always recomend ONLY flash a BIOS file if it gives you something
you absolutly NEED. If you have never flashed a BIOS chip before and still
need the updates the safest way is to just buy the BIOS chip already
programed for your needs. The chip itself is very easy to change and you
will have no worrys about the loss of use if the flash fails. There is one
place running ads in this news group selling new BIOS chips for like $15 and
if you have never flashed one this is the safest and cheapest route to take.
"DR" <drait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to flash the bios on 875P Dragon2 Platinum Edition from
> 4aa1 to 4aa2 but I keep on getting the error The program file's part
> number does not match with your system.
>
> I've used the following syntax:
> awdflash p4cw4aa2.bin /f
>
> and
>
> awdflash p4cw4aa2.bin /py
>
> but I keep on gettin the same error. Any ideas? Could it be that
> this board cannot be updated?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2004 2:03:19 AM

C.I.H. Protection is disabled, and yes I extracted the .bin file out
of the .exe file. I copied the one .bin file to the floppy and I
still get the same error when starting the ALT+F2 AWDFLASH program
when trying to update to any newer BIOS..The program file's part
> > number does not match with your system.

This is the same error I get if I boot to a floppy and use
awdflash.exe

"Jim B." <jburghdoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<P_Lxc.21815$eH1.9894755@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
> First thing enter the motherboard BIOS and make sure C.I.H. Protection is
> set to disabled. The C.I.H. Protection setting write protects your BIOS chip
> and it can't be flashed if its set to enabled.
>
> BIOS Rivieson P4ICW_4AA2 is an exe file and needs to be saved to your
> computer and then you need to double click the file in order to extract the
> files. Once extracted the files AWDFLASH and the bin file need to be copied
> to a formatted floppy disk.
>
> Then with the floppy inserted in your floppy drive reboot the computer and
> when you see the Dragon Logo hit TAB then you hit ALT & F2 at the same time
> this will start the Awardflash program. You should not need to enter the
> commands like you did to flash this board.
>
> Also I hope your aware that if the BIOS flash fails your motherboard will be
> useless until you can either replace the BIOS chip or send it out for
> reporgramming.
>
> The 4aa2 BIOS revision only adds support for the 0.8 DRAM Ratio and support
> of the new 8 in 1 CD. There are four newer BIOS revisions for this board. If
> your going to flash you might as well flash with the newest 4ba4 revision it
> will give you all the previous updates as well. This will give you support
> for the new Prescott CPU's and the RAID 1 function of your Intel ICH5R
> chitpset as well.
>
> But as I always recomend ONLY flash a BIOS file if it gives you something
> you absolutly NEED. If you have never flashed a BIOS chip before and still
> need the updates the safest way is to just buy the BIOS chip already
> programed for your needs. The chip itself is very easy to change and you
> will have no worrys about the loss of use if the flash fails. There is one
> place running ads in this news group selling new BIOS chips for like $15 and
> if you have never flashed one this is the safest and cheapest route to take.
> "DR" <drait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to flash the bios on 875P Dragon2 Platinum Edition from
> > 4aa1 to 4aa2 but I keep on getting the error The program file's part
> > number does not match with your system.
> >
> > I've used the following syntax:
> > awdflash p4cw4aa2.bin /f
> >
> > and
> >
> > awdflash p4cw4aa2.bin /py
> >
> > but I keep on gettin the same error. Any ideas? Could it be that
> > this board cannot be updated?
> >
> > Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2004 7:26:40 PM

Did you put the .bin file and the Awardflash file on the floppy disk?
> [...]
> > programed for your needs. The chip itself is very easy to change and you
> > will have no worrys about the loss of use if the flash fails. There is
one
> > place running ads in this news group selling new BIOS chips for like $15
and
> > if you have never flashed one this is the safest and cheapest route to
take.
> > "DR" <drait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am trying to flash the bios on 875P Dragon2 Platinum Edition from
> > > 4aa1 to 4aa2 but I keep on getting the error The program file's part
> > > number does not match with your system.
> > >
> > > I've used the following syntax:
> > > awdflash p4cw4aa2.bin /f
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > awdflash p4cw4aa2.bin /py
> > >
> > > but I keep on gettin the same error. Any ideas? Could it be that

June 13, 2004 7:26:41 PM

Have you tried one of the other updates, maybe 4BA1?
As Jim said earlier it's up to version 4BA4 now, I've flashed three
times now, I'm at 4BA4 and had no problems at all with the procedure.
Why do you want to go with that particular version (4aa2), just wondering?

Ray..

Jim B. wrote:
> Did you put the .bin file and the Awardflash file on the floppy disk?
> "DR" <drait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>C.I.H. Protection is disabled, and yes I extracted the .bin file out
>>of the .exe file. I copied the one .bin file to the floppy and I
>>still get the same error when starting the ALT+F2 AWDFLASH program
>>when trying to update to any newer BIOS..The program file's part

>>>"DR" <drait@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2004 11:20:43 PM

I've actually tried both 4BA1 and 4BA2...and same result. Whether I
do it from the floppy with the flash util or from booting to ALT+F2
and the bios bin on the floppy itself.

Ray <black_bart100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<jI0zc.9344$_V4.2524@read1.cgocable.net>...
> Have you tried one of the other updates, maybe 4BA1?
> As Jim said earlier it's up to version 4BA4 now, I've flashed three
> times now, I'm at 4BA4 and had no problems at all with the procedure.
> Why do you want to go with that particular version (4aa2), just wondering?
>
> Ray..
>

> Jim B. wrote:
> > Did you put the .bin file and the Awardflash file on the floppy disk?
> > "DR" <drait@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>C.I.H. Protection is disabled, and yes I extracted the .bin file out
> >>of the .exe file. I copied the one .bin file to the floppy and I
> >>still get the same error when starting the ALT+F2 AWDFLASH program
> >>when trying to update to any newer BIOS..The program file's part

June 15, 2004 3:09:49 AM

Does it actually halt the update or is it waiting for input from you?

I was looking around and several sites say to ignore the message, as it
has to do with updating an earlier version of the bios kernel that the
new one doesn't recognize.
I'm an impetuous type so I'd be tempted to continue, BUT ONLY after
getting the address of a new bios chip provider in case it didn't work.
It's risky.......
Ray..

DR wrote:

> I've actually tried both 4BA1 and 4BA2...and same result. Whether I
> do it from the floppy with the flash util or from booting to ALT+F2
> and the bios bin on the floppy itself.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2004 4:54:44 AM