Is there a way to make say drive D:\ default install point?

bowentwo

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Hello,

Like i asked i was wondering if i could make windows default to download to drive D. also how do you put your pagefile on a different drive i heard that makes it faster?

Thank you in advance

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
For Windows 7 (because its what I use and you failed to specify)

edit::upon rereading your question I think I missed the mark on what you were asking and I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll leave this post for any help it does provide.

To change Windows 7 default Download location:

I only know how to change the default directories if via right-click on the start menu.
So to get the windows default download directory there if you don't have it
right click the Taskbar or Start button
-> select Properties
-> Start Menu tab
-> Customize
-> then mark Downloads as either Display as Link or Menu Item
now click Ok, Ok

Now that Downloads is on the Start Menu
right-click it and select Properties
-> Location tab
-> and put in where you'd like, D:\Downloads
and click Ok

To change page file settings in Windows 7:

In the Start Menu search box, type "Advanced System Settings" and choose the Control Panel applet that should show up, "View advanced system settings"

Under "Advanced" tab, "Performance" section, click "Settings..."

Under "Advanced" tab, "Virtual Memory" section, click "Change..."

These are the actual settings. Uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" and you can change these settings. Highlight the drive you want it on, and select either a fixed size or system managed size, and then click "Set". YOU HAVE TO CLICK THE SET BUTTON. Do the same to remove it from the drive you don't want it on. ("No paging file".)

Click OK, OK, OK, and you should be prompted for a reboot.

bowentwo

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
that's close! thanks for the page file how to.

the thing i'm after is how to make D:\Program Files the default install directory if that's even possible, sorry i didn't clarify above.

Thanks in advance if you know a way and thank you again for your help :)

bowentwo

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
maybe I'm asking it wrong? I was wondering if i could make it so when my kids install a program it would default to D:\Program Files\.

the C drive is only on a 250GB drive and windows 7 64bit.
the D drive is a 1TB drive and loads of room for them to install games, or download demos pictures etc...

hope that clarifies it a bit, thank you for the help in advance

Amber_9

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

OK, DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE TRYING TO PUT YOUR PROGRAMS IN THE RIGHT DRIVE. All this does is puts your downloads in your D drive, which is not what you want. You'll have downloads and programs in the same folder. And It is a Bit*ch to revert back.