Kt600.. inconsistent video problems

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have put together a new machine with the KT600 MB. The machine booted
fine and I installed XP with no problems but when it went to boot in windows
for the first time it had no video. The Video card was a Radeon 7000
series. So I pulled a card from another machine.. A radeon 9700 Pro. It
booted fine... the first few times anyway. So I tried another car. A
Nvidia Gforce2 64 meg. Booted fine for the first several times and now all I
get is a blank screen. I get the video at the start and even see the xp
logo screen but it goes black when xp boots up. I can hear the sound of XP
booting up but no video.

Any ideas? I have unplugged everything but the video card, HDD, Floppy and
one CD.

Where to start?

Thanks,

Greg

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Greg" <GB> wrote in message news:<10cm85sa3naarbf@corp.supernews.com>...
> I have put together a new machine with the KT600 MB. The machine booted
> fine and I installed XP with no problems but when it went to boot in windows
> for the first time it had no video. The Video card was a Radeon 7000
> series. So I pulled a card from another machine.. A radeon 9700 Pro. It
> booted fine... the first few times anyway. So I tried another car. A
> Nvidia Gforce2 64 meg. Booted fine for the first several times and now all I
> get is a blank screen. I get the video at the start and even see the xp
> logo screen but it goes black when xp boots up. I can hear the sound of XP
> booting up but no video.
>
> Any ideas? I have unplugged everything but the video card, HDD, Floppy and
> one CD.
>
> Where to start?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Test the memory in another machine.
Is the power supply at least 400 watts?
Dave

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I swapped memory... swapped Vid cards again and yes it has a 400w PS. But
the same problem... It has now started rebooting after the XP splash
screen... it doesnt even try to finish.

Could it be an XP problem? Maybe a reinstall?

Greg

"dave" <dvnj@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Greg" <GB> wrote in message news:<10cm85sa3naarbf@corp.supernews.com>...
> > I have put together a new machine with the KT600 MB. The machine booted
> > fine and I installed XP with no problems but when it went to boot in
windows
> > for the first time it had no video. The Video card was a Radeon 7000
> > series. So I pulled a card from another machine.. A radeon 9700 Pro.
It
> > booted fine... the first few times anyway. So I tried another car. A
> > Nvidia Gforce2 64 meg. Booted fine for the first several times and now
all I
> > get is a blank screen. I get the video at the start and even see the
xp
> > logo screen but it goes black when xp boots up. I can hear the sound of
XP
> > booting up but no video.
> >
> > Any ideas? I have unplugged everything but the video card, HDD, Floppy
and
> > one CD.
> >
> > Where to start?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Greg
>
> Test the memory in another machine.
> Is the power supply at least 400 watts?
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Greg" <GB> wrote in message news:<10cn47vhvnfu68b@corp.supernews.com>...
> I swapped memory... swapped Vid cards again and yes it has a 400w PS. But
> the same problem... It has now started rebooting after the XP splash
> screen... it doesnt even try to finish.
>
> Could it be an XP problem? Maybe a reinstall?
>
> Greg
>

> "dave" <dvnj@msn.com> wrote in message
> > "Greg" <GB> wrote in message news:<10cm85sa3naarbf@corp.supernews.com>...
> > > I have put together a new machine with the KT600 MB. The machine booted
> > > fine and I installed XP with no problems but when it went to boot in
> windows
> > > for the first time it had no video. The Video card was a Radeon 7000
> > > series. So I pulled a card from another machine.. A radeon 9700 Pro.
> It
> > > booted fine... the first few times anyway. So I tried another car. A
> > > Nvidia Gforce2 64 meg. Booted fine for the first several times and now
> all I
> > > get is a blank screen. I get the video at the start and even see the
> xp
> > > logo screen but it goes black when xp boots up. I can hear the sound of
> XP
> > > booting up but no video.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? I have unplugged everything but the video card, HDD, Floppy
> and
> > > one CD.
> > >
> > > Where to start?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Greg
> >
> > Test the memory in another machine.
> > Is the power supply at least 400 watts?
> > Dave

Try a fresh install with the basic hardware only. If you have the
time, write zeros to the drive first. Also have the vid card you
intent to use installed at this time.
Dave