Soyo 7VCA-E question

mark

I know this is an older board, but I am considering buying it for playing
older Dos games for myself and kids. I like an ISA slot. I did a search in
google on this Newgroup for messages about this board, but they were posted
a long time ago. Has anyone here had good/bad experiences with this
board?Also, I have a 900 Celeron, FSB 100, and according to the Soyo Site,
this board will only accept up to Celeron 800. Would a 900 Celeron be ok?
Also, some of the messages which I read on Google mentioned about RAM
problems (something about Registered or Unregistered, whatever that is) I
have two 128K SDRAM-one is Micron and the other is Infineon. Is it a problem
if different makes? I think they are both double sided but forget without
looking for them.
Any and all opinions is appreciated.

Mark

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:01:27 GMT, "Mark" <dontspm@nono.com> wrote:

>I know this is an older board, but I am considering buying it for playing
>older Dos games for myself and kids. I like an ISA slot. I did a search in
>google on this Newgroup for messages about this board, but they were posted
>a long time ago. Has anyone here had good/bad experiences with this
>board?Also, I have a 900 Celeron, FSB 100, and according to the Soyo Site,
>this board will only accept up to Celeron 800. Would a 900 Celeron be ok?
>Also, some of the messages which I read on Google mentioned about RAM
>problems (something about Registered or Unregistered, whatever that is) I
>have two 128K SDRAM-one is Micron and the other is Infineon. Is it a problem
>if different makes? I think they are both double sided but forget without
>looking for them.
>Any and all opinions is appreciated.
>
>Mark

hi!

I don´t have such a mobo,but I have a Soyo 7VCA2 with a Celeron 900
256 mb ram,and a 60 gb 7200RPM hard drive.
Working fine with Win2k SP4 and Slackware 9.1.
Of course,I don´t play heavy games, or something like that.
Previously,with a smaller HD,I had it working with Dos-WFW 3.11.Like a
jet,:)
Don´t worry about ram,dos-win311only recognize up to 64 mb,unless you
make some tip&tricks to make the SO to recognize all the memory,but
the programs will not work beyond 64mb.

Jorge

mark

"Jorge E. González" <jegonza@satlink.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:01:27 GMT, "Mark" <dontspm@nono.com> wrote:
>
> >I know this is an older board, but I am considering buying it for playing
> >older Dos games for myself and kids. I like an ISA slot. I did a search
in
> >google on this Newgroup for messages about this board, but they were
posted
> >a long time ago. Has anyone here had good/bad experiences with this
> >board?Also, I have a 900 Celeron, FSB 100, and according to the Soyo
Site,
> >this board will only accept up to Celeron 800. Would a 900 Celeron be ok?
> >Also, some of the messages which I read on Google mentioned about RAM
> >problems (something about Registered or Unregistered, whatever that is) I
> >have two 128K SDRAM-one is Micron and the other is Infineon. Is it a
problem
> >if different makes? I think they are both double sided but forget without
> >looking for them.
> >Any and all opinions is appreciated.
> >
> >Mark
>
> hi!
>
> I don´t have such a mobo,but I have a Soyo 7VCA2 with a Celeron 900
> 256 mb ram,and a 60 gb 7200RPM hard drive.
> Working fine with Win2k SP4 and Slackware 9.1.
> Of course,I don´t play heavy games, or something like that.
> Previously,with a smaller HD,I had it working with Dos-WFW 3.11.Like a
> jet,:)
> Don´t worry about ram,dos-win311only recognize up to 64 mb,unless you
> make some tip&tricks to make the SO to recognize all the memory,but
> the programs will not work beyond 64mb.

Thanks foro the reply Jorge. I don't know if it would change your reply, but
I should have mentioned I am using Win 98SE and also I might want to play
some Windows games on it as well as DOS, so not exclusively used for DOS
games, but most games will be DOS. Most Windows games will work beyond 64 mb
RAM don't they?. I was concerned if it made any difference if the RAM is two
different makes and if I can run a 900 mhz Celeron, even though Soyo site
says you should only use up to 800 Celeron. It might damage the CPU if I run
the motherboard at 900 mhz.

Mark