802.1x settings in group policy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

I have a system with Windows 2000 server DC (SP4, AD 2000 native mode) and
all XP pro sp2 workstations. I have one 2003 member server and two other
2000 member servers (sp4).

I need to roll out the 802.1x setting for a wireless network using IAS
radius server using Group Policy. Is there a way to make a Group Policy for
802.1x without upgrading my DC to 2003 or promoting my 2003 member server a
DC? How?

Does running 2003 Forestprep and Domprep bring my 2000 AD to a point where I
can install the GP tools on a XP workstation and create the policy?

Ken
7 answers Last reply
More about settings group policy
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    > Does running 2003 Forestprep and Domprep bring my 2000 AD to a point where
    > I can install the GP tools on a XP workstation and create the policy?

    No it does not. However, with the administration tools and/ or the GPMC you
    can edit GPOs from the 2003 and/ or XP machines which will automatically
    update the .adm files on the PDCe (or DC that you are working on -by
    default, this is the PDCe).

    There's a bug with XP SP2 that you need to be aware of though:
    -- http://support.microsoft.com/?id=842933

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    So do I have to upgrade my 2000 server DC to 2003 if I want to use 802.1x
    group policy settings? If not then how?

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Does running 2003 Forestprep and Domprep bring my 2000 AD to a point
    >> where
    >> I can install the GP tools on a XP workstation and create the policy?
    >
    > No it does not. However, with the administration tools and/ or the GPMC
    > you
    > can edit GPOs from the 2003 and/ or XP machines which will automatically
    > update the .adm files on the PDCe (or DC that you are working on -by
    > default, this is the PDCe).
    >
    > There's a bug with XP SP2 that you need to be aware of though:
    > -- http://support.microsoft.com/?id=842933
    >

    > --
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    No you don't need to update. You just need to configure the GPO from the
    2003 and/ or an XP box.

    Download and install the GPMC on an XP workstation or the 2003 member and
    configure from there...

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    What if I dont have a 2003 server?

    > No you don't need to update. You just need to configure the GPO from the
    > 2003 and/ or an XP box.
    >
    > Download and install the GPMC on an XP workstation or the 2003 member and
    > configure from there...
    >

    > --
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    In your first post you state that you have a Windows 2003 member server.

    I also stated, in two consecutive posts, that you can use EITHER a Windows
    2003 server OR a Windows XP machine.

    If you don't have an XP machine or a 2003 server, then you can't do this
    unless you copy the .adm files from somebody with these files.

    I assumed that you had the necessary .adm files and were wondering how to go
    about integrating them into your Windows 2000 environment?!?!

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Sorry. (Your right I do have a 2003 server.) I guess my question should
    have been do I need a 2003 domain controller. I was under the impression
    that creating the GP required at least one 2003 DC because of Active
    Directory requirements, and not just the need for the correct .adm files.

    I am familiar with running the admin toots and/or GPMC on XP but I did not
    realize this would work with my current AD from a 2000 DC. I thought it was
    a AD limitation.

    Ken

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.donotspam.com> wrote in message
    > In your first post you state that you have a Windows 2003 member server.
    >
    > I also stated, in two consecutive posts, that you can use EITHER a Windows
    > 2003 server OR a Windows XP machine.
    >
    > If you don't have an XP machine or a 2003 server, then you can't do this
    > unless you copy the .adm files from somebody with these files.
    >
    > I assumed that you had the necessary .adm files and were wondering how to
    > go
    > about integrating them into your Windows 2000 environment?!?!
    >
    > --
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    If you use new admin templates to edit a GPO these are copied to the server
    (that you are editing the GPO on). There's no requirement for a 2003 domain
    to use the 2003 admin templates. And even if there was, the stuff you
    require is in XPs admin templates and that does work.

    Just read the issue I posted earlier re. XP SP2.

    --
    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

Policy Microsoft Servers Wireless Networking