Display Propertys

To start with my display properties no longer have all the tabs. I only have
screen saver and appearance tabs. My desktop as some kind of error message
on it that is a background picture. Its looks like the blue screen of death
type buts a background.
Next problem is I get an error message when I try to do a restore. Its like
the restore option is no longer available.
I did find a program that is called "popuper.exe" in my windows directory. I
tried to delete it but the system wont let me. The properties says it was
created today and that is when all this started. I know the restore was
working yesterday. I ran adware SE and my virus checker and still have this
problem. No viruses.

Doug

"Doug" <doug57@www.com> wrote in message
> To start with my display properties no longer have all the tabs. I
> only have screen saver and appearance tabs. My desktop as some kind of
> error message on it that is a background picture. Its looks like the
> blue screen of death type buts a background.
> Next problem is I get an error message when I try to do a restore. Its
> like the restore option is no longer available.
> I did find a program that is called "popuper.exe" in my windows
> directory. I tried to delete it but the system wont let me. The
> properties says it was created today and that is when all this
> started. I know the restore was working yesterday. I ran adware SE and
> my virus checker and still have this problem. No viruses.

Once your system is clean from parasites the download this Reg fix from
Kelly's site.

then go to "Restore All Display Tabs" (Line 285 on the right) and
download the fix.

--
William

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Obz1FK3TFHA.2976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Doug <doug57@www.com> had this to say:

> To start with my display properties no longer have all the tabs. I
> only have screen saver and appearance tabs. My desktop as some kind
> of error message on it that is a background picture. Its looks like
> the blue screen of death type buts a background.
> Next problem is I get an error message when I try to do a restore.
> Its like the restore option is no longer available.
> I did find a program that is called "popuper.exe" in my windows
> directory. I tried to delete it but the system wont let me. The
> properties says it was created today and that is when all this
> started. I know the restore was working yesterday. I ran adware SE
> and my virus checker and still have this problem. No viruses.
>
> Doug

Try this:

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

I know you said you already scanned with AdAware. Grab all three of these
and download them and install them. Then using each one update to the latest
definitions.

Download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Should your network connection fail after using the below methods then
you'll want to have that handy to make sure that you're able to repair your
winsock and get your network connection back.

Reboot, press F8 over and over again, enter Safe Mode WITHOUT networking
from the special menu.

Using each of the applications above do a complete scan in safe mode. Safe
mode is important as it means that the offending malware files aren't
USUALLY loaded and in use. The reason you'll be doing this without
networking is because your not going to have your firewall up and running
nor your normal AV software running in safe mode either.

If this fails to find and cure the offending problems then you may need
something along the lines of HijackThis to take care of the problems. Don't
use this tool by yourself however unless you're an advanced user. Instead
use it to generate your log and post it to this forum here:

AumHa Forums:

HijackThis can be downloaded from here:

Post back and let us know how it all went if you'd like.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

A little Googling will show that popuper.exe is a backdoor Trojan.

I'm not expert at this, but Hijack_This (see another post) may remove it.
You will probably have to kill the process in Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del)
before you can remove it.

Good luck.