Clean installation of XP Prof reversed DVD-ROM and CD ROM ..

May 2, 2005 11:08:07 PM

Hi,
I recently did a clean installation of XP Prof. My DVD-ROM and CD drives no
longer work properly. The recording driver Adaptec 2.5 (093) listed with the
drives frequently give an error message that states it has been disabled
because it will cause the my drives not to function properly or cause
computer instability. I have been unable to locate an XP Adaptec driver to
replace the above one. The CD drive and the DVD-ROM drives will both read
data, but I am unable to record music or data from the DVD drive. I
installed a new program, upgrading from ROXIO 4.0 to 7.0 and I still have the
same problem. I found an updated driver for my Samsung DVD-ROM SD 612 drive
which is 612b. Initially the DVD-ROM drive would not even load any disc now
it will at least load data disk. The message from the new drive listed a
suggestion of switching the DMA transfer mode to PIO mode and attempt to
flash the drive. I just found information here about how to do that and will
try it. Also how can I get the driver that does not work off of my computer?
When I disable the driver it removes the DVD-ROM and the CD drives. I do not
yet have a new driver for the CD drive. If I find that one and also swithch
transfur mode will this correct the recording problem? Looks like many
others have had simular things to occur with the XP digital program.
Please help.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:00:51 AM

It sounds like you installed an old, incompatible version (anything before
5.1) of Adaptec/Roxio EasyCD Creator on XP.

If you were able to uninstall it, it may have left some bad registry entries
in place:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

"CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP"

(There are other ways of getting the same Registry entries, with the same
effect.)

The knowledge base article gives a method for removing the keys using
RegEdit, or you can try an automated fix:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...

I can't promise that getting rid of the "upperfilters" and "lowerfilters"
keys will solve your problem, but it may.

You shouldn't need any drivers other than those provided by XP to run
internal IDE (ATAPI) drives. Your problem also probably will not be fixed by
updating the firmware of the drives. I doubt that switching the interface to
PIO mode will help. Even if it worked, the performance would be poor
(compared to the DMA modes).

I hate to suggest it, but if all else fails, a clean installation of XP will
fix the problem. As you won't be booting in XP on your hard drive, you can
install XP again as long as the CD drive is recognized by the PC's BIOS.

Speaking of the machine's BIOS, do the drives appear in the BIOS setup? If
they do, that would be a strong indication that you don't have a hardware
problem.

Good luck.

!