System not booting

Using Win XP Home SP2 on a Soltek m/b with a AMD 2800 processor and 512Mb
ram. I usually leave the computer running for days or even weeks on end but
sometimes due to being absent from the house or storms I turn the machine
off. When I come to restart the computer it does not start! Lots of lights
but no POST. I then clear the CMOS, disconnect all the peripherals then
reboot without a problem. I can then close down system, re connect the extra
hard drive, DVD burner, CD reader etc and the computer starts up again ok
and will continue to function normally until (I guess) I turn the system off
again. This has happened a number of times recently. Hardware or software
problem? Any clues how to correct this fault would be appreciated.

peter

HI,

Try first check the CMOS battery, if it is too weak, change it.
Note: Don't just measure the voltage, you need to measure the current as a
lithium battery can maintain normal voltage but the cuurent may nearly drain
out.
--
Peter

"Moir" wrote:

> Using Win XP Home SP2 on a Soltek m/b with a AMD 2800 processor and 512Mb
> ram. I usually leave the computer running for days or even weeks on end but
> sometimes due to being absent from the house or storms I turn the machine
> off. When I come to restart the computer it does not start! Lots of lights
> but no POST. I then clear the CMOS, disconnect all the peripherals then
> reboot without a problem. I can then close down system, re connect the extra
> hard drive, DVD burner, CD reader etc and the computer starts up again ok
> and will continue to function normally until (I guess) I turn the system off
> again. This has happened a number of times recently. Hardware or software
> problem? Any clues how to correct this fault would be appreciated.

Thanks Peter, I will replace it - although I thought I had replaced it no so
long ago.

> HI,
>
> Try first check the CMOS battery, if it is too weak, change it.
> Note: Don't just measure the voltage, you need to measure the current as a
> lithium battery can maintain normal voltage but the cuurent may nearly
> drain
> out.
> --
> Peter
>

> "Moir" wrote:
>
>> Using Win XP Home SP2 on a Soltek m/b with a AMD 2800 processor and 512Mb
>> ram. I usually leave the computer running for days or even weeks on end
>> but
>> sometimes due to being absent from the house or storms I turn the machine
>> off. When I come to restart the computer it does not start! Lots of
>> lights
>> but no POST. I then clear the CMOS, disconnect all the peripherals then
>> reboot without a problem. I can then close down system, re connect the
>> extra
>> hard drive, DVD burner, CD reader etc and the computer starts up again ok
>> and will continue to function normally until (I guess) I turn the system
>> off
>> again. This has happened a number of times recently. Hardware or software
>> problem? Any clues how to correct this fault would be appreciated.

Mmh. Perhaps you mean that the OP should measure the
voltage while the battery is installed? Measuring the current
is rather difficult and quite meaningless anyway, because
neither you, the OP or I would know what it should be.
1 nA? 1uA?

A fairly reliable way to check the condition of the CMOS
battery is to turn the PC off overnight, then restart it and
get immediately into the CMOS setup. If the CMOS
shows a completely wrong date and time then the battery
is flat.

> HI,
>
> Try first check the CMOS battery, if it is too weak, change it.
> Note: Don't just measure the voltage, you need to measure the current as a
> lithium battery can maintain normal voltage but the cuurent may nearly
drain
> out.
> --
> Peter
>

> "Moir" wrote:
>
> > Using Win XP Home SP2 on a Soltek m/b with a AMD 2800 processor and
512Mb
> > ram. I usually leave the computer running for days or even weeks on end
but
> > sometimes due to being absent from the house or storms I turn the
machine
> > off. When I come to restart the computer it does not start! Lots of
lights
> > but no POST. I then clear the CMOS, disconnect all the peripherals then
> > reboot without a problem. I can then close down system, re connect the
extra
> > hard drive, DVD burner, CD reader etc and the computer starts up again
ok
> > and will continue to function normally until (I guess) I turn the system
off
> > again. This has happened a number of times recently. Hardware or
software
> > problem? Any clues how to correct this fault would be appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS