Dragon+: Raid0 found and set by fastrack, not found by winXP

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2004 8:21:42 AM

I'm sorry if this gets long, but I want to make sure I'm telling you
everything.

I had 2 60GB IBM drives in a raid0 array working beautifully for over
2 years when the drives failed (the IBM drives they are being
class-action'ed over). I bought a couple of new drives and am having
a FIT getting them going.

I bought 2 160GB WD drives. My BIOS was really old and so the raid
controller (promise) couldn't see their full capacity. I flashed my
bios to K7VXA_2BA6, and then the raid utility (the CTRL-F at startup
one) could see them in their full capacity. I am able to create a
stripe of 320 gig fine. In my manual, though, it shows making the
array bootable on a screen that my menu does not have, and when you
boot the 1 doesn't have a * beside it. It does however show that the
320GB array is functional. I re-downloaded the raid drivers from
soyo's site, but they are dated 2001. Trying to use them to load
WinXP (F6, S) the drivers load fine, but windows cannot detect a hard
drive to install to. I thought it may have been a size issue, so I
patitioned the drive into smaller chunks (sub 100GB) with the same
results. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. If anyone
has any words of wisdom, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

VV
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2004 6:32:23 PM

"Grubb" <VetteVert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm sorry if this gets long, but I want to make sure I'm telling you
> everything.
>
> I had 2 60GB IBM drives in a raid0 array working beautifully for over
> 2 years when the drives failed (the IBM drives they are being
> class-action'ed over). I bought a couple of new drives and am having
> a FIT getting them going.
>
> I bought 2 160GB WD drives. My BIOS was really old and so the raid
> controller (promise) couldn't see their full capacity. I flashed my
> bios to K7VXA_2BA6, and then the raid utility (the CTRL-F at startup
> one) could see them in their full capacity. I am able to create a
> stripe of 320 gig fine. In my manual, though, it shows making the
> array bootable on a screen that my menu does not have, and when you
> boot the 1 doesn't have a * beside it. It does however show that the
> 320GB array is functional. I re-downloaded the raid drivers from
> soyo's site, but they are dated 2001. Trying to use them to load
> WinXP (F6, S) the drivers load fine, but windows cannot detect a hard
> drive to install to. I thought it may have been a size issue, so I
> patitioned the drive into smaller chunks (sub 100GB) with the same
> results. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. If anyone
> has any words of wisdom, I would GREATLY appreciate it!
>
> VV

If you have a Sigma box hooked up disconnect the connectors from the board
and then install windows. I know it sounds strange, but I have had this
problem in the past and this fixed it.

Tim
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2004 8:47:47 PM

Grubb typed:

> I'm sorry if this gets long, but I want to make sure I'm telling you
> everything.
>
> I had 2 60GB IBM drives in a raid0 array working beautifully for over
> 2 years when the drives failed (the IBM drives they are being
> class-action'ed over). I bought a couple of new drives and am having
> a FIT getting them going.
>
> I bought 2 160GB WD drives. My BIOS was really old and so the raid
> controller (promise) couldn't see their full capacity. I flashed my
> bios to K7VXA_2BA6, and then the raid utility (the CTRL-F at startup
> one) could see them in their full capacity. I am able to create a
> stripe of 320 gig fine. In my manual, though, it shows making the
> array bootable on a screen that my menu does not have, and when you
> boot the 1 doesn't have a * beside it. It does however show that the
> 320GB array is functional. I re-downloaded the raid drivers from
> soyo's site, but they are dated 2001. Trying to use them to load
> WinXP (F6, S) the drivers load fine, but windows cannot detect a hard
> drive to install to. I thought it may have been a size issue, so I
> patitioned the drive into smaller chunks (sub 100GB) with the same
> results. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. If anyone
> has any words of wisdom, I would GREATLY appreciate it!
>
> VV

Maybe you should try later BIOS - there are 2ba7 and 2ba9 versions - 9 is
intended mostly for tbred's. Also get latest manual from SOYO site to check
out if there's any correction, since there were two or three of them.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2004 7:36:33 AM

No Sigma box, and read through the latest manual...no changes. Anyone
have any idea how to make the array bootable? The manual (even the
latest) says to go to a screen I don't have and hit the space bar. I
may try a later bios as well. Also, SCSI is set as first device and
I've tried every combination of raid/scsi boot order.

VV

!