problems installing sata as second drive

May 3, 2005 10:04:01 AM

The drive shows up in the boot process but not once I am in windows?

--
See you Later, here, there, or in the air

Keith
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:04:02 AM

So much for detailed information...If running xp on a IDE controller,try
downloading and installing the drivers/software for the SATA controller from
the mfg web site.

"Keith" wrote:

> The drive shows up in the boot process but not once I am in windows?
>
> --
> See you Later, here, there, or in the air
>
> Keith

May 3, 2005 2:16:53 PM

Sorry about the lack of info

Asus k8v board, brand new WD 200 gig sata hard drive, existing 200 gig
Seagate eide with winxp home, system runs fine just need more storage.
Already been to asus site got the newest drivers. It is not that it is not
operating, the problem is that once I am in windows the system does not show
the new drive( no drive letter) to work with it, but it does show during the
boot process. So just for the record I want this as a second drive I don't
want to install my os on it, I just need this for storage.

--

> So much for detailed information...If running xp on a IDE controller,try
> downloading and installing the drivers/software for the SATA controller
from
> the mfg web site.
>
> "Keith" wrote:
>
> > The drive shows up in the boot process but not once I am in windows?
> >
> > --
> > See you Later, here, there, or in the air
> >
> > Keith

May 3, 2005 2:16:54 PM

Keith wrote:

> Sorry about the lack of info
>
> Asus k8v board, brand new WD 200 gig sata hard drive, existing 200 gig
> Seagate eide with winxp home, system runs fine just need more storage.
> Already been to asus site got the newest drivers. It is not that it is not
> operating, the problem is that once I am in windows the system does not show
> the new drive( no drive letter) to work with it, but it does show during the
> boot process. So just for the record I want this as a second drive I don't
> want to install my os on it, I just need this for storage.

It is a modesty problem: that naked HD must have a layer of clothing added,
or XP will pretend to not see it. ;-)

With the new HD connected, boot XP and head for the disk management window
to initialize the new HD.
--
Cheers, Bob
May 3, 2005 5:31:04 PM

Love you new age sensitivity Bob.

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators
group in order to complete this procedure.
If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might
also prevent you from completing this procedure.

New disks appear as Not Initialized [cannot be viewed in My Computer].
Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it.
If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard
appears so you can initialize the disk.

"Bob Willard" wrote:

> Keith wrote:
>
> > Sorry about the lack of info
> >
> > Asus k8v board, brand new WD 200 gig sata hard drive, existing 200 gig
> > Seagate eide with winxp home, system runs fine just need more storage.
> > Already been to asus site got the newest drivers. It is not that it is not
> > operating, the problem is that once I am in windows the system does not show
> > the new drive( no drive letter) to work with it, but it does show during the
> > boot process. So just for the record I want this as a second drive I don't
> > want to install my os on it, I just need this for storage.
> >

> It is a modesty problem: that naked HD must have a layer of clothing added,
> or XP will pretend to not see it. ;-)
>
> With the new HD connected, boot XP and head for the disk management window
> to initialize the new HD.
> --
> Cheers, Bob

May 4, 2005 12:52:10 AM

disk management does not show my new drive.

--

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Keith wrote:
>
> > Sorry about the lack of info
> >
> > Asus k8v board, brand new WD 200 gig sata hard drive, existing 200 gig
> > Seagate eide with winxp home, system runs fine just need more storage.
> > Already been to asus site got the newest drivers. It is not that it is
not
> > operating, the problem is that once I am in windows the system does not
show
> > the new drive( no drive letter) to work with it, but it does show during
the
> > boot process. So just for the record I want this as a second drive I
don't
> > want to install my os on it, I just need this for storage.
> >

> It is a modesty problem: that naked HD must have a layer of clothing
added,
> or XP will pretend to not see it. ;-)
>
> With the new HD connected, boot XP and head for the disk management window
> to initialize the new HD.
> --
> Cheers, Bob
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:52:11 AM

Have you installed the SATA drivers (may be called RAID drivers) for
your SATA controller (either a card, or the SATA controller on your
MB)? Without those, XP will rarely be able to see a SATA drive.

On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:52:10 GMT, "Keith" <keiths@mchsi.com> wrote:

>disk management does not show my new drive.
>
>--
>See you Later, here, there, or in the air
>
>Keith
>"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Keith wrote:
>>
>> > Sorry about the lack of info
>> >
>> > Asus k8v board, brand new WD 200 gig sata hard drive, existing 200 gig
>> > Seagate eide with winxp home, system runs fine just need more storage.
>> > Already been to asus site got the newest drivers. It is not that it is
>not
>> > operating, the problem is that once I am in windows the system does not
>show
>> > the new drive( no drive letter) to work with it, but it does show during
>the
>> > boot process. So just for the record I want this as a second drive I
>don't
>> > want to install my os on it, I just need this for storage.
>> >

>> It is a modesty problem: that naked HD must have a layer of clothing
>added,
>> or XP will pretend to not see it. ;-)
>>
>> With the new HD connected, boot XP and head for the disk management window
>> to initialize the new HD.
>> --
>> Cheers, Bob
May 4, 2005 6:31:02 AM

Tried twice give me the run down to make sure I am doing it right

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
news:D t6g711v6oefs1k0gopdh7vlfatqqhhotu@4ax.com...
> Have you installed the SATA drivers (may be called RAID drivers) for
> your SATA controller (either a card, or the SATA controller on your
> MB)? Without those, XP will rarely be able to see a SATA drive.
>
> On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:52:10 GMT, "Keith" <keiths@mchsi.com> wrote:
>
> >disk management does not show my new drive.
> >
> >--
> >See you Later, here, there, or in the air
> >
> >Keith
> >"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message

> >not
> >show
> >the
> >don't
> >> >

> >> It is a modesty problem: that naked HD must have a layer of clothing
> >added,
> >> or XP will pretend to not see it. ;-)
> >>
> >> With the new HD connected, boot XP and head for the disk management
window
> >> to initialize the new HD.
> >> --
> >> Cheers, Bob

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 2:05:30 AM

1. Your mainboard should have come with a driver CD. Put it in your
CDROM drive, find the option for SATA (maybe labeled RAID) drivers,
and run it. If this is an add-on SATA card, it should have come with
drivers as well.

2. No CDROM? Go to the mainboard manufacturers site (or, if an
add-on card, the manufacturer for it) and download the drivers.
Install them as above.

If you are trying to set up XP using a SATA drive as the boot drive,
you'll need to place the drivers on a floppy. When setup starts,
press F6 as directed to load RAID drivers, use that floppy, and then
let setup continue.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 02:31:02 GMT, "Keith" <keiths@mchsi.com> wrote:

>Tried twice give me the run down to make sure I am doing it right
>

>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>news:D t6g711v6oefs1k0gopdh7vlfatqqhhotu@4ax.com...
>> Have you installed the SATA drivers (may be called RAID drivers) for
>> your SATA controller (either a card, or the SATA controller on your
>> MB)? Without those, XP will rarely be able to see a SATA drive.
>>
>> On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:52:10 GMT, "Keith" <keiths@mchsi.com> wrote:
>>
>> >disk management does not show my new drive.
>> >
>> >--
>> >See you Later, here, there, or in the air
>> >
>> >Keith
>> >"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message

>gig
>storage.
>is
>> >not
>not
>> >show
>during
>> >the
>> >don't

>> >added,

>window

May 5, 2005 6:15:41 AM

Thanks for the help everyone!
Turns out the asus drivers did not work but I went to via ( my chipset) and
they worked perfectly.

news:o lvi719nn942r1h4ii2r2a093v2he91sa6@4ax.com...

!