AGP 8X problem

Has anyone figured out how to fix the AGP 8X problem on the Soyo
Motherboards? I had read the problem was with people having a weak or cheap
power supply. I just bought a 480w Thermaltake Silent Pure Power and still I
can't run in AGP 8X mode.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

running agp x8 on dragon plus and black KT400 board, what video card do
you have ? what makes you think its not running at x8 ?

"Thomas Kolakowski" <tomko@tomkobeer.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone figured out how to fix the AGP 8X problem on the Soyo
> Motherboards? I had read the problem was with people having a weak or
cheap
> power supply. I just bought a 480w Thermaltake Silent Pure Power and still
> can't run in AGP 8X mode.

"John" <digitalcat@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<S6UFc.8393$qw1.8307@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...

I'm running agp 8X on P4I 875P Dragon2 with no problems at all using
an Antec 350 true power.

> running agp x8 on dragon plus and black KT400 board, what video card do
> you have ? what makes you think its not running at x8 ?
>
> "Thomas Kolakowski" <tomko@tomkobeer.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone figured out how to fix the AGP 8X problem on the Soyo
> > Motherboards? I had read the problem was with people having a weak or
> cheap
> > power supply. I just bought a 480w Thermaltake Silent Pure Power and still
> > can't run in AGP 8X mode.

I have a BFGTech FX 5500 OC AGP card (Nvidia GeForce FX). When I set the
bios to run in AGP 8X mode the graphics will be choppy, may move are weird
angles, or even have unusual characters in the graphics. The card runs fine
in 4X mode. I have read all sorts of things as to the problem. I am using
the KT600 Dragon Plus 1.0 running under WinXP Home. I am using the VIA
Hyperion 4.51 drivers. Some posts said the Nvidia cards require a good power
supply (so I upgraded it). Some say that the VIA drivers are the problem...
some say the Soyo BIOS is the problem... lots of speculation, but no real
answers. Most of the people that posted said they just sent back their Soyo
mobos and bought an Asus.

"John" <digitalcat@verizon.net> wrote in message
> running agp x8 on dragon plus and black KT400 board, what video card
do
> you have ? what makes you think its not running at x8 ?
>
> "Thomas Kolakowski" <tomko@tomkobeer.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone figured out how to fix the AGP 8X problem on the Soyo
> > Motherboards? I had read the problem was with people having a weak or
> cheap
> > power supply. I just bought a 480w Thermaltake Silent Pure Power and
still
> > can't run in AGP 8X mode.

"Thomas Kolakowski" <tomko@tomkobeer.com> wrote in message news:<NmVFc.54225$a92.32639@twister.nyc.rr.com>...

It could be a combination of both the video card and motherboard. Your
BFG FX 5500 doesn't come with the additional power connector that the
more expensive video cards have (like the BFG 5900XT). So it could be
the video card needs more power, more then the standard AGP slot on
you motherboard can supply. Yet you motherboard is AGP8X compliant and
should supply the needed power for your card. I have an Abit
motherboard that is also a VIA based chipset and this board has the
same problem with AGP4X if run in that mode the video is just like
yours in 8X mode but if I run this board in 2X it works fine (this is
an old system built right after 4X came out). These problems are what
led me away from VIA based motherboards, no matter who builds the
motherboard. I'll build a system for a customer with a VIA chipset on
it but I own nothing but Intel based boards myself.