SY-P4I Fire Dragon Hard Drive Size Limit

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2004 7:52:52 PM

Does anyone know if the Fire Dragon will support hard drives larger than
137GB? I'm interested in getting a 160 GB hard drive. I have never
upgraded the bios on my Fire Dragon. I was told it only added some changes
for the High Point RAID controller.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2004 11:22:01 AM

"BigSky" <bmartin84@cox.net> wrote in message news:<DV%Fc.17669$Qj6.4613@fed1read05>...

With a BIOS update the Fire Dragon will support the larger than 137GB
hard drives. You will need at least BIOS version P4I_2BA2 in order to
use the 160 gig hard drive.

This BIOS update also updates the firmware on the Highpoint controller
so if you use the Highpoint controller or plan to later you will also
need to update the Highpoint controller to version 2.23 before you
flash your BIOS (if currently using) or when you go to use it.

BIOS P4I_2BA3 is the newest version for the board and will give you
everything that 2BA2 does plus it fixes a problem with Celeron L2
cache.

But beware, if you have never flashed a BIOS here is Soyos warning:
Updating your BIOS constitutes a risk! If flashing goes wrong, it may
render your motherboard unbootable thus requiring you to send your
motherboard or BIOS chip in for re-flashing (RMA).

If you have never flashed a BIOS file and don't want to take this risk
you can buy a new BIOS chip for like $26 (includes shipping) from
www.badflash.com already programed with the BIOS file you wish to
have. Changing the chip is simple and eliminates the risk of the flash
going wrong. There is also a place that runs ads in this forum called
ICE that does the same thing as badflash does.

!