Notebook Harddrive Noise

I am trying to find a notebook harddrive without idle noise, it's driving me
crazy, it does it every 30 seconds or so, is there a way to stop this
without turning the computer off?
The drive is a Fujitsu MHT2080AH

Thanks
16 answers Last reply
More about notebook harddrive noise

    Seagate's new momentus drives are very quiet. I have to put my ear to my
    laptop to even hear if its spinning.

    "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I am trying to find a notebook harddrive without idle noise, it's driving
    me
    > crazy, it does it every 30 seconds or so, is there a way to stop this
    > without turning the computer off?
    > The drive is a Fujitsu MHT2080AH
    >
    > Thanks

    "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > I am trying to find a notebook harddrive without idle noise, it's driving
    me
    > crazy, it does it every 30 seconds or so, is there a way to stop this
    > without turning the computer off?
    > The drive is a Fujitsu MHT2080AH
    >
    > Thanks

    It could be the CPU fan too. In my experience, some
    notebooks are noisy (e.g. HP/Compaqs), some are
    quiet (e.g. IBMs).

    If you think it's your hard disk, examine your startup
    tasks with msconfig.exe. You might have some
    indexing task that you may not require.

    The noise is defenitly coming from the hard drive, someone said it maybe the
    heads on the drive parking itself, I have indexing disabled, do you really
    think it maybe a software application?

    Sould I disable all non microsoft services and everything in startup under
    msconfig?

    Thanks

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> I am trying to find a notebook harddrive without idle noise, it's driving
    > me
    >> crazy, it does it every 30 seconds or so, is there a way to stop this
    >> without turning the computer off?
    >> The drive is a Fujitsu MHT2080AH
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > It could be the CPU fan too. In my experience, some
    > notebooks are noisy (e.g. HP/Compaqs), some are
    > quiet (e.g. IBMs).
    >
    > If you think it's your hard disk, examine your startup
    > tasks with msconfig.exe. You might have some
    > indexing task that you may not require.

    Try some of these starting methods to narrow down the cause
    for the disk activity:
    - Start with everything disabled under msconfig.
    - Start in Safe Mode.
    - Start into the BIOS setup.

    > The noise is defenitly coming from the hard drive, someone said it maybe
    the
    > heads on the drive parking itself, I have indexing disabled, do you really
    > think it maybe a software application?
    >
    > Sould I disable all non microsoft services and everything in startup under
    > msconfig?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >> I am trying to find a notebook harddrive without idle noise, it's
    driving
    > > me
    > >> crazy, it does it every 30 seconds or so, is there a way to stop this
    > >> without turning the computer off?
    > >> The drive is a Fujitsu MHT2080AH
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >
    > > It could be the CPU fan too. In my experience, some
    > > notebooks are noisy (e.g. HP/Compaqs), some are
    > > quiet (e.g. IBMs).
    > >
    > > If you think it's your hard disk, examine your startup
    > > tasks with msconfig.exe. You might have some
    > > indexing task that you may not require.

    Thanks Pegasus, I'll let you know what happens, I have already done the
    first one and it still makes the odd noise now and then

    > Try some of these starting methods to narrow down the cause
    > for the disk activity:
    > - Start with everything disabled under msconfig.
    > - Start in Safe Mode.
    > - Start into the BIOS setup.
    >

    > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> The noise is defenitly coming from the hard drive, someone said it maybe
    > the
    >> heads on the drive parking itself, I have indexing disabled, do you
    >> really
    >> think it maybe a software application?
    >>
    >> Sould I disable all non microsoft services and everything in startup
    >> under
    >> msconfig?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > driving
    >> > me

    >> > It could be the CPU fan too. In my experience, some
    >> > notebooks are noisy (e.g. HP/Compaqs), some are
    >> > quiet (e.g. IBMs).
    >> >
    >> > If you think it's your hard disk, examine your startup
    >> > tasks with msconfig.exe. You might have some
    >> > indexing task that you may not require.

    Hi Pegasus,
    Running the system in safemode seems to be the same as normal mode, running
    the system in the BIOS setup only did it once and is quiet as a mouse after
    that, I had it running in the BIOS mode for about 30 mins.

    In normal mode, the only processes running over 5,000K are
    svchost.exe 16,496K
    explorer.exe 10,928K
    CCAPP.EXE 10,300K (part of Norton Antivirus)
    wuauclt.exe 6,724K (which as just disappeared after writing this)

    Putting my ear to the system I can hear the noise about every 10 sec's or so
    but being about a metre away I can hear it every 30 seconds or so.

    > Thanks Pegasus, I'll let you know what happens, I have already done the
    > first one and it still makes the odd noise now and then
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >> Try some of these starting methods to narrow down the cause
    >> for the disk activity:
    >> - Start with everything disabled under msconfig.
    >> - Start in Safe Mode.
    >> - Start into the BIOS setup.
    >>

    >> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >>> The noise is defenitly coming from the hard drive, someone said it maybe
    >> the
    >>> heads on the drive parking itself, I have indexing disabled, do you
    >>> really
    >>> think it maybe a software application?
    >>>
    >>> Sould I disable all non microsoft services and everything in startup
    >>> under
    >>> msconfig?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    >> driving

    I would now launch the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) in Safe
    Mode, select the Processes tab, then add the "IO Read" column
    via the View pull-down menu. This should tell you which process
    accesses the disk all the time.

    > Hi Pegasus,
    > Running the system in safemode seems to be the same as normal mode,
    running
    > the system in the BIOS setup only did it once and is quiet as a mouse
    after
    > that, I had it running in the BIOS mode for about 30 mins.
    >
    > In normal mode, the only processes running over 5,000K are
    > svchost.exe 16,496K
    > explorer.exe 10,928K
    > CCAPP.EXE 10,300K (part of Norton Antivirus)
    > wuauclt.exe 6,724K (which as just disappeared after writing this)
    >
    > Putting my ear to the system I can hear the noise about every 10 sec's or
    so
    > but being about a metre away I can hear it every 30 seconds or so.
    >

    > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Pegasus, I'll let you know what happens, I have already done the
    > > first one and it still makes the odd noise now and then
    > >

    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >> Try some of these starting methods to narrow down the cause
    > >> for the disk activity:
    > >> - Start with everything disabled under msconfig.
    > >> - Start in Safe Mode.
    > >> - Start into the BIOS setup.
    > >>

    > >> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >> the

    > >> driving

    We have running

    csrss.exe
    lsass.exe
    explorer.exe
    svchost.exe
    winlogon.exe
    ZCfgSvc.exe
    svchost.exe
    System
    services.exe
    smss.exe
    svchost.exe
    taskmgr.exe

    Where csrss.exe is the highest at 3,993 under I/O Reads and the following 2
    are around 680

    Might just be the way the hard drive operates?

    >I would now launch the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) in Safe
    > Mode, select the Processes tab, then add the "IO Read" column
    > via the View pull-down menu. This should tell you which process
    > accesses the disk all the time.
    >

    > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> Hi Pegasus,
    >> Running the system in safemode seems to be the same as normal mode,
    > running
    >> the system in the BIOS setup only did it once and is quiet as a mouse
    > after
    >> that, I had it running in the BIOS mode for about 30 mins.
    >>
    >> In normal mode, the only processes running over 5,000K are
    >> svchost.exe 16,496K
    >> explorer.exe 10,928K
    >> CCAPP.EXE 10,300K (part of Norton Antivirus)
    >> wuauclt.exe 6,724K (which as just disappeared after writing this)
    >>
    >> Putting my ear to the system I can hear the noise about every 10 sec's or
    > so
    >> but being about a metre away I can hear it every 30 seconds or so.
    >>

    >> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks Pegasus, I'll let you know what happens, I have already done the
    >> > first one and it still makes the odd noise now and then
    >> >

    >> > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > maybe

    > this

    I think this maybe my problem:-

    Head Reset noise is something many of you already know about. The head reset
    function in the last couple generations of IBM/Hitachi drives (120, 180, and
    250 GXP) is designed to avoid overheating during idle. The head reset causes
    an odd, brief, very audible noise on a fairly regular basis, perhaps every
    10 minutes. This noise has been described in many ways - a chirp, a cat's
    meow, etc. To me it sounds like a two-tone whirrrr-hooot. The two drives'
    head reset timing is not perfectly synchronized, so the noise from each
    drive occurs usually in quick succession within maybe a minute of each
    other. It is too brief a duration to be measured accurately on my sound
    level meter. Suffice it to say it is easily as audible as the access noise.

    Is there any notebook drives out there that don't do this?

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >I would now launch the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) in Safe
    > Mode, select the Processes tab, then add the "IO Read" column
    > via the View pull-down menu. This should tell you which process
    > accesses the disk all the time.
    >

    > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> Hi Pegasus,
    >> Running the system in safemode seems to be the same as normal mode,
    > running
    >> the system in the BIOS setup only did it once and is quiet as a mouse
    > after
    >> that, I had it running in the BIOS mode for about 30 mins.
    >>
    >> In normal mode, the only processes running over 5,000K are
    >> svchost.exe 16,496K
    >> explorer.exe 10,928K
    >> CCAPP.EXE 10,300K (part of Norton Antivirus)
    >> wuauclt.exe 6,724K (which as just disappeared after writing this)
    >>
    >> Putting my ear to the system I can hear the noise about every 10 sec's or
    > so
    >> but being about a metre away I can hear it every 30 seconds or so.
    >>

    >> "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks Pegasus, I'll let you know what happens, I have already done the
    >> > first one and it still makes the odd noise now and then
    >> >

    >> > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > maybe

    > this

    Can you notice any noises when the system is idle?

    "Rube" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
    > Seagate's new momentus drives are very quiet. I have to put my ear to my
    > laptop to even hear if its spinning.
    >
    > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> I am trying to find a notebook harddrive without idle noise, it's driving
    > me
    >> crazy, it does it every 30 seconds or so, is there a way to stop this
    >> without turning the computer off?
    >> The drive is a Fujitsu MHT2080AH
    >>
    >> Thanks

    My HD light does flash every minute or so, even when idle, but I can't hear
    anything. I can't hear anything when its thrashing away either. The drive is
    also brand new and my experience shows that after 2-3 years, bearings wear
    out & the drive motor starts to be audible, even on the quietest drives.

    > Can you notice any noises when the system is idle?
    >
    > "Rube" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
    > > Seagate's new momentus drives are very quiet. I have to put my ear to my
    > > laptop to even hear if its spinning.
    > >
    > > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >> I am trying to find a notebook harddrive without idle noise, it's
    driving
    > > me
    > >> crazy, it does it every 30 seconds or so, is there a way to stop this
    > >> without turning the computer off?
    > >> The drive is a Fujitsu MHT2080AH
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    I have just brought the Seagate 100GB notebook drive and it makes more noise
    acessing data that my Fujitisu did but hasn't made that 15 -20 second
    clicking noise which I guess is a bonus.

    I have just installed the drive and will let you know how it goes over the
    next day or so.

    > My HD light does flash every minute or so, even when idle, but I can't
    > hear
    > anything. I can't hear anything when its thrashing away either. The drive
    > is
    > also brand new and my experience shows that after 2-3 years, bearings wear
    > out & the drive motor starts to be audible, even on the quietest drives.
    >
    > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> Can you notice any noises when the system is idle?
    >>
    >> "Rube" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
    >> > Seagate's new momentus drives are very quiet. I have to put my ear to
    >> > my
    >> > laptop to even hear if its spinning.
    >> >
    >> > "Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > driving
    >> > me

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    All seagates are noisy - they whine on their own from time to time but
    they are probably the most reliable in my experience. I even complained
    to Seagate Tech support but they were too stupied to know what I was
    talking about.

    The Hitachi 5000 rpm units are the quietest - no noise. I have installed
    a couple of new IBM Thinkpad R51s recently and these are silent and use
    Hitachi (formerly IBM) drives.

    Clayton wrote:
    > I have just brought the Seagate 100GB notebook drive and it makes more noise
    > acessing data that my Fujitisu did but hasn't made that 15 -20 second
    > clicking noise which I guess is a bonus.
    >
    > I have just installed the drive and will let you know how it goes over the
    > next day or so.
    >

    > "Rube" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
    >
    >>My HD light does flash every minute or so, even when idle, but I can't
    >>hear
    >>anything. I can't hear anything when its thrashing away either. The drive
    >>is
    >>also brand new and my experience shows that after 2-3 years, bearings wear
    >>out & the drive motor starts to be audible, even on the quietest drives.
    >>
    >>"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Can you notice any noises when the system is idle?
    >>>
    >>>"Rube" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message

    >>driving

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I have tried using a 40GB Hitachi in my Toshiba Tecra 8200 which made alot
    of intermittent noises, and went back to the original 20GB Toshiba drive
    which was the best, what model of Hitachi are you referring too?

    "aus" <aus@aus.net> wrote in message
    > All seagates are noisy - they whine on their own from time to time but
    > they are probably the most reliable in my experience. I even complained to
    > Seagate Tech support but they were too stupied to know what I was talking
    > about.
    >
    > The Hitachi 5000 rpm units are the quietest - no noise. I have installed a
    > couple of new IBM Thinkpad R51s recently and these are silent and use
    > Hitachi (formerly IBM) drives.
    >

    > Clayton wrote:
    >> I have just brought the Seagate 100GB notebook drive and it makes more
    >> noise acessing data that my Fujitisu did but hasn't made that 15 -20
    >> second clicking noise which I guess is a bonus.
    >>
    >> I have just installed the drive and will let you know how it goes over
    >> the next day or so.
    >>

    >> "Rube" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My HD light does flash every minute or so, even when idle, but I can't
    >>>hear
    >>>anything. I can't hear anything when its thrashing away either. The drive
    >>>is
    >>>also brand new and my experience shows that after 2-3 years, bearings
    >>>wear
    >>>out & the drive motor starts to be audible, even on the quietest drives.
    >>>
    >>>"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

    >>>driving

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi, Ill have to have a check to see exact model - but the ones I just
    experienced were 60Gb Hitachi units as come as standard with the 1.8Ghz
    Thinkpad R51. The standard one in my Thinkpad x31 was also quiet but ony
    4200 rpm and I swapped it out to a faster - and noisier :( Seagate 7200
    RPM unit.

    Clayton wrote:
    > I have tried using a 40GB Hitachi in my Toshiba Tecra 8200 which made alot
    > of intermittent noises, and went back to the original 20GB Toshiba drive
    > which was the best, what model of Hitachi are you referring too?
    >

    > "aus" <aus@aus.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>All seagates are noisy - they whine on their own from time to time but
    >>they are probably the most reliable in my experience. I even complained to
    >>Seagate Tech support but they were too stupied to know what I was talking
    >>about.
    >>
    >>The Hitachi 5000 rpm units are the quietest - no noise. I have installed a
    >>couple of new IBM Thinkpad R51s recently and these are silent and use
    >>Hitachi (formerly IBM) drives.
    >>

    >>Clayton wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have just brought the Seagate 100GB notebook drive and it makes more
    >>>noise acessing data that my Fujitisu did but hasn't made that 15 -20
    >>>second clicking noise which I guess is a bonus.
    >>>
    >>>I have just installed the drive and will let you know how it goes over
    >>>the next day or so.
    >>>

    >>>"Rube" <dont@spam.me> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    hmm, the 4200RPM drives in notebooks around 1999 - 2000 were quiet, but it
    seems now that the 5400 - 7200RPM drives are noisier maybe the new
    technology is the cause of it, out of the Fitjitsu, Seagate, Hitachi, the
    only one that seems to not make that clicking noise as bad as the others is
    the Seagate, someone suggested a Samsung but if I get that one, I know I'm
    going to have similar issues, the drives that IBM use for the ThinkPad's are
    about 3x the price of other drives.

    I'll end up getting the Samsung and then a Western Digital to find they
    maybe all the same.

    Clayton

    > Hi, Ill have to have a check to see exact model - but the ones I just
    > experienced were 60Gb Hitachi units as come as standard with the 1.8Ghz
    > Thinkpad R51. The standard one in my Thinkpad x31 was also quiet but ony
    > 4200 rpm and I swapped it out to a faster - and noisier :( Seagate 7200
    > RPM unit.
    >

    > Clayton wrote:
    >> I have tried using a 40GB Hitachi in my Toshiba Tecra 8200 which made
    >> alot of intermittent noises, and went back to the original 20GB Toshiba
    >> drive which was the best, what model of Hitachi are you referring too?
    >>

    >> "aus" <aus@aus.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>All seagates are noisy - they whine on their own from time to time but
    >>>they are probably the most reliable in my experience. I even complained
    >>>to Seagate Tech support but they were too stupied to know what I was
    >>>talking about.
    >>>
    >>>The Hitachi 5000 rpm units are the quietest - no noise. I have installed
    >>>a couple of new IBM Thinkpad R51s recently and these are silent and use
    >>>Hitachi (formerly IBM) drives.

Notebooks Hard Drives Windows XP