Dragon KT400 vs KT600 - Need help!

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My KT400 Dragon Platinum has been running fine for about two years. As
of yesterday, when I boot it stops at "Detecting IDE drives...".
Pressing DEL won't do anything, and so of course I can't get into the
bios. I assume the MOBO gave up the ghost, and that I need a new one.

I want to stick with the Dragon, but should I get another KT400, or go
to the KT600? I'd like to get the KT600, but this computer was put
together by someone else, and I never got involved with it's
"insides," so I'd like to make the switch with a minimum of
complications. I assume that if I get the KT400 I'll just install it,
turn on the machine, and (hopefuly) be off and running with a minimum
of hassels. Would the KT600 require more adjustments, or
reconfiguration, or? than the KT400?

Also, I understand that for some time the Card Reader of the KT600 was
not working. Has it been fixed? I'm using the card reader a lot, so if
that is still is an issue, I'd want to go with the KT400.

Either way, what should I expect will be needed to get my machine
going again, once the mechanical installation is done? I'm running XP
and 98SE, with dual boot, and I have reinstalled XP once on top of
itself, some time ago, without running into difficulty and without
having to reinstall any of the applications. I'm comfortable in doing
that again if needed.

Thank you very much, one and all, for your advice.

Eric

change the motherboard battery

Eric wrote:
> My KT400 Dragon Platinum has been running fine for about two years. As
> of yesterday, when I boot it stops at "Detecting IDE drives...".
> Pressing DEL won't do anything, and so of course I can't get into the
> bios. I assume the MOBO gave up the ghost, and that I need a new one.
>
> I want to stick with the Dragon, but should I get another KT400, or go
> to the KT600? I'd like to get the KT600, but this computer was put
> together by someone else, and I never got involved with it's
> "insides," so I'd like to make the switch with a minimum of
> complications. I assume that if I get the KT400 I'll just install it,
> turn on the machine, and (hopefuly) be off and running with a minimum
> of hassels. Would the KT600 require more adjustments, or
> reconfiguration, or? than the KT400?
>
> Also, I understand that for some time the Card Reader of the KT600 was
> not working. Has it been fixed? I'm using the card reader a lot, so if
> that is still is an issue, I'd want to go with the KT400.
>
> Either way, what should I expect will be needed to get my machine
> going again, once the mechanical installation is done? I'm running XP
> and 98SE, with dual boot, and I have reinstalled XP once on top of
> itself, some time ago, without running into difficulty and without
> having to reinstall any of the applications. I'm comfortable in doing
> that again if needed.
>
> Thank you very much, one and all, for your advice.
>
> Eric

More than likely your problem is either a loose IDE cable or it's
defective. The other possiblity is the hard drive itself loose pwr
cable ( one of the pins in pwr cable pulled, bent, broken, etc. I doubt
if it's the mother board. The motherboard appears to be doing what it is
supposed to do i.e. find the hard drive.

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

LKBOOP wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>
>> My KT400 Dragon Platinum has been running fine for about two years. As
>> of yesterday, when I boot it stops at "Detecting IDE drives...".
>> Pressing DEL won't do anything, and so of course I can't get into the
>> bios. I assume the MOBO gave up the ghost, and that I need a new one.
>>
>> I want to stick with the Dragon, but should I get another KT400, or go
>> to the KT600? I'd like to get the KT600, but this computer was put
>> together by someone else, and I never got involved with it's
>> "insides," so I'd like to make the switch with a minimum of
>> complications. I assume that if I get the KT400 I'll just install it,
>> turn on the machine, and (hopefuly) be off and running with a minimum
>> of hassels. Would the KT600 require more adjustments, or
>> reconfiguration, or? than the KT400?
>>
>> Also, I understand that for some time the Card Reader of the KT600 was
>> not working. Has it been fixed? I'm using the card reader a lot, so if
>> that is still is an issue, I'd want to go with the KT400.
>>
>> Either way, what should I expect will be needed to get my machine
>> going again, once the mechanical installation is done? I'm running XP
>> and 98SE, with dual boot, and I have reinstalled XP once on top of
>> itself, some time ago, without running into difficulty and without
>> having to reinstall any of the applications. I'm comfortable in doing
>> that again if needed.
>>
>> Thank you very much, one and all, for your advice.
>> Eric
>

> More than likely your problem is either a loose IDE cable or it's
> defective. The other possiblity is the hard drive itself loose pwr
> cable ( one of the pins in pwr cable pulled, bent, broken, etc. I doubt
> if it's the mother board. The motherboard appears to be doing what it is
> supposed to do i.e. find the hard drive.
I've been using this board for a long time, exept when i play around it
eg. OC. before you replaceit try this to find out if its really your board.

unplug all device that connected to your board (drive, pci cards exept
video) reset your bios and see if you get a complete post. also dont
forget if you have an access to another stick of memory try to replace
it or if you have multiple memory install use them one at a time.

if the problem is the same then more likely it your MB, if your CPU is
out you wont get anything no post, nothing.