Question about DVD-R

May 4, 2005 8:01:02 PM

I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.

Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
that DVD player?

Thanks

More about : question dvd

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:34:22 PM

Have you looked at that DVD players manual to see what kind of DVD's are
compatable with it???
Thats what manuals are for...we do not know which of the multitude of brand
name players you have.
peterk

safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
> DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
> giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.
>
> Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
> that DVD player?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:36:20 PM

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
| DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
| giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.
|
| Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
| that DVD player?
|
| Thanks

If it's an older DVD player it may not be able to play recordable media. I
ran into that when I first started burning DVDs and had to buy a new settop
player.

It may also recognize some types of media and not others. You'll find a list
here.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers (it's not always accurate)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Related resources
May 5, 2005 2:47:04 PM

There is a very good 'compatibility guide' written by Honda Shing, Chief
Technology Officer for InterVideo which makes WinDVD, the world's most
popular software DVD player. InterVideo (www.intervideo.com) also makes other
audio and video software and WinProducer 2 DVD, a program to edit and burn
your own DVDs.

Imagine if there were 5 different kinds of VHS tapes and they all looked
identical but were not ­ that is basically where the DVD standards world is
right now. There are essentially 5 versions of writable DVD that you need to
understand. They are: DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD+R. The
distinctions are actually based on how the data is written to and read from
the disk, and this differentiation is difficult to translate to the physical
world.

Try to find the guide on the InterVideo site as it explains the differences
fully.

"HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

> "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
> | DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
> | giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.
> |
> | Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
> | that DVD player?
> |
> | Thanks
>
> If it's an older DVD player it may not be able to play recordable media. I
> ran into that when I first started burning DVDs and had to buy a new settop
> player.
>
> It may also recognize some types of media and not others. You'll find a list
> here.
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers (it's not always accurate)

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:48:08 PM

Not every DVD player can play DVD-R. Some will only play DVD+Rs. This is
one reason why must DVD burner now come with the TWO formats (DVD+R and
DVD-R).

!