Question about DVD-R

I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.

Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
that DVD player?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about question

    Have you looked at that DVD players manual to see what kind of DVD's are
    compatable with it???
    Thats what manuals are for...we do not know which of the multitude of brand
    name players you have.
    peterk

    safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
    > DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
    > giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.
    >
    > Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
    > that DVD player?
    >
    > Thanks

    "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
    | DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
    | giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.
    |
    | Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
    | that DVD player?
    |
    | Thanks

    If it's an older DVD player it may not be able to play recordable media. I
    ran into that when I first started burning DVDs and had to buy a new settop
    player.

    It may also recognize some types of media and not others. You'll find a list
    here.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers (it's not always accurate)

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    There is a very good 'compatibility guide' written by Honda Shing, Chief
    Technology Officer for InterVideo which makes WinDVD, the world's most
    popular software DVD player. InterVideo (www.intervideo.com) also makes other
    audio and video software and WinProducer 2 DVD, a program to edit and burn
    your own DVDs.

    Imagine if there were 5 different kinds of VHS tapes and they all looked
    identical but were not ­ that is basically where the DVD standards world is
    right now. There are essentially 5 versions of writable DVD that you need to
    understand. They are: DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD+R. The
    distinctions are actually based on how the data is written to and read from
    the disk, and this differentiation is difficult to translate to the physical
    world.

    Try to find the guide on the InterVideo site as it explains the differences
    fully.

    "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

    > "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
    > | DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
    > | giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.
    > |
    > | Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
    > | that DVD player?
    > |
    > | Thanks
    >
    > If it's an older DVD player it may not be able to play recordable media. I
    > ran into that when I first started burning DVDs and had to buy a new settop
    > player.
    >
    > It may also recognize some types of media and not others. You'll find a list
    > here.
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers (it's not always accurate)

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Not every DVD player can play DVD-R. Some will only play DVD+Rs. This is
    one reason why must DVD burner now come with the TWO formats (DVD+R and
    DVD-R).

    "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am attempting to play a DVD-R burned backup copy of my movie in an older
    > DVD player in my house. However, the DVD player is not recognizing it and
    > giving me an error message. When I play my retail copy, it's fine.
    >
    > Any idea if I need to be using another type of media so it can read it on
    > that DVD player?
    >
    > Thanks

DVD Players DVD Writers Windows XP