USB "jump drive" - does it require Admin rights?

When I log on with an administrator account the jump drive works fine. When
the user logs on with a limited user account the drive is detected, i.e. you
hear the plugin sound, but it does not appear in My Computer. Is this the
way WindowsXP Pro SP2 is supposed to work, and is there a way to enable the
drive without adding the user to the Administrator group?

I had this question when I was looking to buy my USB drive, since I don't
have Administrator privileges at work. I wrote to several manufacturers of
USB drives (Crucial, Logitech, SanDisk) and asked whether you need to have
Administrator rights to use the thing. The answer was 'maybe'. It depends on
the exact permissions your group policy allows. You won't know until you
try. (I could have asked my IT department, but why trouble them with such
minor issues?)

If the drive isn't recognized when you plug it in, you need access to the
Disk Management snap-in, which access I don't have. So I waited until I
found a 'free' offer (after rebates, naturally) for a SanDisk Cruzer,
plugged it in at work and whaddaya know - it worked!

A tip: Sometimes, all that's needed to get the drive to appear in My
Computer is to refresh the screen (F5).

Modem Ani