Ntfs hard drive on Fat32 computer

how do you set up a NTFS hard drive on FAT32 computer? because i am
having difficulties. i have a old Windows 95 machine, now XP Home, with
a -MS6116 VER:1.1- motherboard. when i try to boot form the new 80GB
hard drive, set as master, the computer doesn't see it.

i have also been told that: > If a system is set up to use the FAT32 file system it will not be able

--
ITmad

IT

I doubt whether your computer BIOS will recognise or work with a drive of
that size.. and I also doubt that there would be an updated BIOS image
available for a motherboard as old as yours is..

Your machine is probably hopelessly under-specified for running XP.. you
would be well advised to return the computer to Win 95, or maybe 98..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ITmad" <ITmad.1oj6dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> how do you set up a NTFS hard drive on FAT32 computer? because i am
> having difficulties. i have a old Windows 95 machine, now XP Home, with
> a -MS6116 VER:1.1- motherboard. when i try to boot form the new 80GB
> hard drive, set as master, the computer doesn't see it.
>
> i have also been told that: > If a system is set up to use the FAT32 file
> system it will not be able
>> to see a hard drive in the NTFS format Is this true? :confused:
>

> --
> ITmad

sunny

ITmad wrote:
> how do you set up a NTFS hard drive on FAT32 computer? because i am
> having difficulties. i have a old Windows 95 machine, now XP Home, with
> a -MS6116 VER:1.1- motherboard. when i try to boot form the new 80GB
> hard drive, set as master, the computer doesn't see it.

You must install BIOS version p2.2 or higher to use disks larger than
65GB. BIOS updates for your motherboard are available here:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=310&kind=1

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:

> IT
>
> I doubt whether your computer BIOS will recognise or work with a drive of
> that size.. and I also doubt that there would be an updated BIOS image
> available for a motherboard as old as yours is..

Turns out there is an update for large disks (>65GB) available - see my
reply to the OP. If there hadn't been, the OP could use the Award BIOS
patcher from www.rom.by to add large disk support in the existing BIOS.

> Your machine is probably hopelessly under-specified for running XP.. you
> would be well advised to return the computer to Win 95, or maybe 98..

In my experience, XP runs considerably better than 98se on ancient
hardware, particularly if there is 256MB (or more) RAM available. I
would not recommend 95 as security updates are no longer provided. My
daughter was running a 233Mhz PPro until recently, and performance
improved markedly under XP vs. 98se.

Sunny

IT

I apologise for my first post.. I should have done what Sunny did and check
first.. I have gotten so used to going to motherboard sites and finding
nothing of value for old systems.. obviously, MSI have better support than
some I have come across, and I will bear this in mind for next time..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"ITmad" <ITmad.1oj6dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> how do you set up a NTFS hard drive on FAT32 computer? because i am
> having difficulties. i have a old Windows 95 machine, now XP Home, with
> a -MS6116 VER:1.1- motherboard. when i try to boot form the new 80GB
> hard drive, set as master, the computer doesn't see it.
>
> i have also been told that: > If a system is set up to use the FAT32 file
> system it will not be able
>> to see a hard drive in the NTFS format Is this true? :confused:
>

> --
> ITmad

Sunny

I did repost here after having seen your initial reply..

While there is truth in what you say, one has to balance the cost of
upgrading an old system such that it will run XP against a budget new system
that is more than capable.. I have set up systems that have low
specification, but only because they were previously 'over-specified' for
Win 9x/ME.. it is one thing to buy a new XP compatible modem, but when one
has to buy large amounts of memory and larger hard drives, the newer system
starts to win..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Sunny" <sunny@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>
>> IT
>>
>> I doubt whether your computer BIOS will recognise or work with a drive of
>> that size.. and I also doubt that there would be an updated BIOS image
>> available for a motherboard as old as yours is..
>
> Turns out there is an update for large disks (>65GB) available - see my
> reply to the OP. If there hadn't been, the OP could use the Award BIOS
> patcher from www.rom.by to add large disk support in the existing BIOS.
>
>> Your machine is probably hopelessly under-specified for running XP.. you
>> would be well advised to return the computer to Win 95, or maybe 98..
>
> In my experience, XP runs considerably better than 98se on ancient
> hardware, particularly if there is 256MB (or more) RAM available. I would
> not recommend 95 as security updates are no longer provided. My daughter
> was running a 233Mhz PPro until recently, and performance improved
> markedly under XP vs. 98se.
>
> Sunny

bar

IT Mad - given your apparant lack of competence in computer hardware &
software one would be very wary of performing the BIOS update.

Make sure that you enlist the aid of a friend who is much more computer
savvy than yourself before attempting to update your BIOS.

It is possible to make a simple mistake and render your PC to a
non-functioning state.

MSI usually has very good instruction, however their mother tongue is not
English and sometimes the translations of their manuals and user guides can
lead to ambiguities.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> IT
>
> I apologise for my first post.. I should have done what Sunny did and check
> first.. I have gotten so used to going to motherboard sites and finding
> nothing of value for old systems.. obviously, MSI have better support than
> some I have come across, and I will bear this in mind for next time..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "ITmad" <ITmad.1oj6dn@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > how do you set up a NTFS hard drive on FAT32 computer? because i am
> > having difficulties. i have a old Windows 95 machine, now XP Home, with
> > a -MS6116 VER:1.1- motherboard. when i try to boot form the new 80GB
> > hard drive, set as master, the computer doesn't see it.
> >
> > i have also been told that: > If a system is set up to use the FAT32 file
> > system it will not be able
> >> to see a hard drive in the NTFS format Is this true? :confused:
> >

> > --
> > ITmad

sunny

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Sunny
>
> I did repost here after having seen your initial reply..

Indeed - I can see how you earned your MVP.

> While there is truth in what you say, one has to balance the cost of
> upgrading an old system such that it will run XP against a budget new system
> that is more than capable.. I have set up systems that have low
> specification, but only because they were previously 'over-specified' for
> Win 9x/ME.. it is one thing to buy a new XP compatible modem, but when one
> has to buy large amounts of memory and larger hard drives, the newer system
> starts to win..

I fully agree. I just wanted to point out that older systems frequently
run XP much better than one might assume given the published hardware
requirements. I'm not suggesting major upgrades are an economically
viable alternative to a newer system, but if you know which dumpsters to
frequent...

Sunny

Sunny

I hope that you mother does not know that you go 'dumpster diving'?..

--

> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Sunny
>>
>> I did repost here after having seen your initial reply..
>
> Indeed - I can see how you earned your MVP.
>
>> While there is truth in what you say, one has to balance the cost of
>> upgrading an old system such that it will run XP against a budget new
>> system that is more than capable.. I have set up systems that have low
>> specification, but only because they were previously 'over-specified' for
>> Win 9x/ME.. it is one thing to buy a new XP compatible modem, but when
>> one has to buy large amounts of memory and larger hard drives, the newer
>> system starts to win..
>
> I fully agree. I just wanted to point out that older systems frequently
> run XP much better than one might assume given the published hardware
> requirements. I'm not suggesting major upgrades are an economically viable
> alternative to a newer system, but if you know which dumpsters to
> frequent...
>
> Sunny

sunny

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Sunny
>
> I hope that you mother does not know that you go 'dumpster diving'?..

Quite the contrary - my Mom is rather proud of the fact I scrounge,
trade, and tweak to build the systems I donate to worthy causes.

Extending the useful life of hardware is a hobby. The motherboard in my
personal system was manufactured in 1997, but hardware and BIOS
modifications allow it to run a pair of P3-S processors at 1.5Ghz - more
than adequate for my computing requirements. I rarely buy hardware, so I
can afford more software ;-)

Sunny