How can I find 2nd hard drive after it quit being recognized

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
May 4, 2005 10:58:02 PM

I am running Windows XP 'home addition'. I have had two hard drives for a
couple of years and the 2nd one (which does not have an OS installed and I
only use for storage) crashed and now it does not show up anywhere. Not even
under Disk drives in Device Manager. My Dell came with a 12.8G, Maxtor
91360U4 and the 2nd drive is an 80 Maxtor 4K080H4. Anywhere else I can look?
Anything else I can do?
Buzz Czar

More about : find 2nd hard drive quit recognized

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:18:27 PM

"Buzz Czar" <Buzz Czar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP 'home addition'. I have had two hard drives for a
> couple of years and the 2nd one (which does not have an OS installed and I
> only use for storage) crashed and now it does not show up anywhere. Not
even
> under Disk drives in Device Manager. My Dell came with a 12.8G, Maxtor
> 91360U4 and the 2nd drive is an 80 Maxtor 4K080H4. Anywhere else I can
look?
> Anything else I can do?
> Buzz Czar

First step: See if the BIOS recognises the second disk. On many machines
you press the Delete key during the boot process to get into the BIOS.

Second step: Download and run the free disk diagnostic program that
the manufacturer of your disk makes available on his home site.

The subsequent steps depend on the results of the first two tests.
!