SY-KT880 Dragon 2 Power Up Problem

ME

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem with the SY-KT880 Dragon
2 motherboard, or if anyone else has any ideas of what may be causing it?

I replaced my SY-KT400 with this board and once powered up it all works
fine, but on power on it will often (usually?) run for a few seconds and
then turn off again. It also sometimes does the same and powers off on
system reset or restart. I thought it was a faulty board so I retuned it for
a replacement, but the new one does the same, although apparently not so
frequently. I'd guess that it will successfully power up on in two attempts
(the first one was maybe 1 in 4) and once powered up it runs just fine.

Everthing else in the system was working fine on the old board before it
died. I have an Enermax 480Watt CoolerGiant PSU, and tried switching it out
for a different one with no effect. I also tried disconnecting all the
drives, CD-ROMs etc, again with no effect. I also switched out the processor
fan in case there's a problem with the fan detection, but there's no warning
beep so I doubt that's the cause anyway.

Any ideas?

Ian

I have the same board, but I have not experienced what you have. I have been
running it for about a month. I did have a problem on boot up durning the
first week on setting up this board. The problem was it would boot up with
no video. It did it about 3 times during a 5 day period. I reseated the
video card, but I know it did it one more time after reseating, so I can't
claim that reseating solved the problem. It just went away. Been about 3
weeks since last seen. Have you tried fail safe settings?

Frank Howell
"Me" <ian@underpressuredivers.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem with the SY-KT880
Dragon
> 2 motherboard, or if anyone else has any ideas of what may be causing it?
>
> I replaced my SY-KT400 with this board and once powered up it all works
> fine, but on power on it will often (usually?) run for a few seconds and
> then turn off again. It also sometimes does the same and powers off on
> system reset or restart. I thought it was a faulty board so I retuned it
for
> a replacement, but the new one does the same, although apparently not so
> frequently. I'd guess that it will successfully power up on in two
attempts
> (the first one was maybe 1 in 4) and once powered up it runs just fine.
>
> Everthing else in the system was working fine on the old board before it
> died. I have an Enermax 480Watt CoolerGiant PSU, and tried switching it
out
> for a different one with no effect. I also tried disconnecting all the
> drives, CD-ROMs etc, again with no effect. I also switched out the
processor
> fan in case there's a problem with the fan detection, but there's no
warning
> beep so I doubt that's the cause anyway.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ian

I'm not really having that problem. The problem I seem to be having is
that my computer randomly reboots and when Windows starts back up, I
get a bunch of serious device failures. I updated the chipset drivers
from Soyo's website and I'm waiting to see if that fixed it. Anybody
else have this problem?

==============

Sounds like FOC is kicking in to me. The cpu fan is not running as fast as
the board needs so the speed sensor is shutting the board down. There should
be a setting in the BIOS to turn off FOC, setting it to disabled should fix
the problem. Other option is to change your cpu fan to one that runs at a
faster speed.

> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem with the SY-KT880
Dragon
> 2 motherboard, or if anyone else has any ideas of what may be causing it?
>
> I replaced my SY-KT400 with this board and once powered up it all works
> fine, but on power on it will often (usually?) run for a few seconds and
> then turn off again. It also sometimes does the same and powers off on
> system reset or restart. I thought it was a faulty board so I retuned it
for
> a replacement, but the new one does the same, although apparently not so
> frequently. I'd guess that it will successfully power up on in two
attempts
> (the first one was maybe 1 in 4) and once powered up it runs just fine.
>
> Everthing else in the system was working fine on the old board before it
> died. I have an Enermax 480Watt CoolerGiant PSU, and tried switching it
out
> for a different one with no effect. I also tried disconnecting all the
> drives, CD-ROMs etc, again with no effect. I also switched out the
processor
> fan in case there's a problem with the fan detection, but there's no
warning
> beep so I doubt that's the cause anyway.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ian

Your problem sounds more memory related to me, what brand of memory are you
running? Download and run memtest to see if it shows any problems. Soyo
motherboards have always been very picky on memory. Cheap memory causes many
of the problems you list.

"PraiseChaos2026" <kelcecil@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:411ad155_7@news.athenanews.com...
> I'm not really having that problem. The problem I seem to be having is
> that my computer randomly reboots and when Windows starts back up, I
> get a bunch of serious device failures. I updated the chipset drivers
> from Soyo's website and I'm waiting to see if that fixed it. Anybody
> else have this problem?
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

I am having a similar problem with a SY-P4VTP. It would power up the fans
and stop. First I tried another PSU and the same thing happened. Then I took
it out of the case and tried booting with a minimum of things connected and
the same thing happened. Then I connected everything plus a few extra old
hard drives without the data cables and to my surprise it went longer. Then
a couple more hard drives on y cables and it actually booted. It runs about
40 minutes or so and spontaneously shuts off. This is a powmax psu that came
with the case and the other psu was also a powmax cpu. I think something in
these psu's is goofy. I think I have to get a high price psu next.