How can I choose another com port besides 1 or 2.... ?

A friend of mine recently upgraded his 98se machine to xp...

his pci rockwell modem used to work fine on his previous setup...

unfortunately, xp didn't recognize it...

during installing the modem driver on xp, an option box pops up and asks
which com port is the modem on, it only gives the options of 'com 1' or 'com
2'...

there isn't an option to pick 'com 3' or anything else other than 1 or 2 for
that matter, it used to be on com 3...

any ideas anyone how to get round this silly problem?

Tia for any clues at all... :)

"Charles..." <No_Spam@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> A friend of mine recently upgraded his 98se machine to xp...
>
> his pci rockwell modem used to work fine on his previous setup...
>
> unfortunately, xp didn't recognize it...
>
> during installing the modem driver on xp, an option box pops up and asks
> which com port is the modem on, it only gives the options of 'com 1' or
'com
> 2'...
>
> there isn't an option to pick 'com 3' or anything else other than 1 or 2
for
> that matter, it used to be on com 3...
>
> any ideas anyone how to get round this silly problem?
>
> Tia for any clues at all... :)

Ports higher than 1 or 2 come up automatically when
installing the correct driver. I suspect you're trying to
use a Win98 driver. Have a look on www.driverguide.com
for a better driver. You should also run aida32.exe
(http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3)
to see if Windows is aware of the modem.