New drive, fresh install conflicting with old drive with X..

Here's my situation:

I decided to replace my motherboard and processor after the motherboard
went. I also had a WD 160 GB drive that I wanted to install. At the
time, I had XP installed on a 250 GB Maxtor.

With the Maxtor disconnected, I installed XP on the WD with no
problems. However, once I plugged the Maxtor back in, XP does a couple
of strange things... notably there's no audio and it attempts a disk
check of the Maxtor every boot up. The disk check is a 3-part scan,
part 3 being every file replaced as an orphan file... I have no idea
what this means, but I let it run for about an hour, and stopped it,
because it was still going. I aborted the scan on the next boot up,
and all the data is still preserved on both drives (I ultimately want
to get the data off the Maxtor and use it for backup, which is why I
haven't formatted it yet). What can I do to prevent the disk scan? Is
there a way to remove the XP OS from the Maxtor? I tried cable select
and slave/master configurations on the jumpers with the same results.

Chk the jumper pins on maxtor drive,set to slave(from L.to R. its 4th
set),set
as slave to C: drive,chk the configuration in the BIOS also,make sure C: is
1st boot device.You can disable CHKDSK on start up,by going to run,type:cmd
In cmd type:chkntfs /XD: D: being maxtor.