Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! related problem

I have a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! motherboard with an AMD XP 2000+. I
recently had to break down the machine completely for a move. When I
reassembled it and powered on, the following happens:

- all fans (including those powered by the motherboard) function;
motherboard light is on
- nothing appears on the monitor
- no system bell to signify boot process has started

How should I start to diagnose this? Any suggestions on what it could
be or how to fix it?

The CPU is currently in place properly with a heatsink; if I removed
the CPU completely, would I still be able to enter the BIOS in theory?

Thanks in advance.

BigKahuna typed:

> I have a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! motherboard with an AMD XP 2000+. I
> recently had to break down the machine completely for a move. When I
> reassembled it and powered on, the following happens:
>
> - all fans (including those powered by the motherboard) function;
> motherboard light is on
> - nothing appears on the monitor
> - no system bell to signify boot process has started
>
> How should I start to diagnose this? Any suggestions on what it could
> be or how to fix it?
>
> The CPU is currently in place properly with a heatsink; if I removed
> the CPU completely, would I still be able to enter the BIOS in theory?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I would reseat all components - CPU, VGA card, RAM modules.
Removing CPU won't do anything bad to BIOS. The main problem you have
is...you can't even get to BIOS enter screen... :)

BigKahuna wrote:
> I have a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! motherboard with an AMD XP 2000+. I
> recently had to break down the machine completely for a move. When I
> reassembled it and powered on, the following happens:
>
> - all fans (including those powered by the motherboard) function;
> motherboard light is on
> - nothing appears on the monitor
> - no system bell to signify boot process has started
>
> How should I start to diagnose this? Any suggestions on what it could
> be or how to fix it?

My K7V D+ suddenly got the same symptoms the other day. It crashed and
after that became increasingly unstable as I tried to diagnose the
problem until it behaved like you describe.

Try remove the RAM. Then my board beeps like it's supposed to.
I've checked the RAM in another machine and it seems ok. I've replaced
the video-card and it doesn't seem to affect anything. I've removed all
drives. It seems the MB is bad. Maybe yours is too. A shame... it's a
nice MB.

Peter

Something isn't being told here. Since when did a move require a complete
break down of a machine? If you just disconnected the monitor, keyboard and
mouse for a move to a new location I would look at the possibility that
something got jiggled loose. Check that all components are properly seated.

Now if its like it sounds and you completely took the thing apart and put it
back together I would look to see if you didn't crack the cpu core while
re-installing the cpu fan.

"BigKahuna" <king@jhu.edu> wrote in message
> I have a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! motherboard with an AMD XP 2000+. I
> recently had to break down the machine completely for a move. When I
> reassembled it and powered on, the following happens:
>
> - all fans (including those powered by the motherboard) function;
> motherboard light is on
> - nothing appears on the monitor
> - no system bell to signify boot process has started
>
> How should I start to diagnose this? Any suggestions on what it could
> be or how to fix it?
>
> The CPU is currently in place properly with a heatsink; if I removed
> the CPU completely, would I still be able to enter the BIOS in theory?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Peter Mogensen typed:

> BigKahuna wrote:
> > I have a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! motherboard with an AMD XP 2000+. I
> > recently had to break down the machine completely for a move.
> When I > reassembled it and powered on, the following happens:
> >
> > - all fans (including those powered by the motherboard) function;
> > motherboard light is on
> > - nothing appears on the monitor
> > - no system bell to signify boot process has started
> >
> > How should I start to diagnose this? Any suggestions on what it
> could > be or how to fix it?
>
> My K7V D+ suddenly got the same symptoms the other day. It crashed and
> after that became increasingly unstable as I tried to diagnose the
> problem until it behaved like you describe.
>
> Try remove the RAM. Then my board beeps like it's supposed to.
> I've checked the RAM in another machine and it seems ok. I've replaced
> the video-card and it doesn't seem to affect anything. I've removed
> all drives. It seems the MB is bad. Maybe yours is too. A shame...
> it's a nice MB.
>
> Peter

Or maybe just capacitors are going bad...that's easy to replace if you have
some skills

SleeperMan wrote:

> Or maybe just capacitors are going bad...that's easy to replace if you have
> some skills

Hmm... which skills. Ordering parts and soldering are no problem, but I
don't know the nature of this board. Soldering a multilayer PCB without
knowledge of its design is new to me.

Peter

Peter Mogensen typed:

> SleeperMan wrote:
>
>> Or maybe just capacitors are going bad...that's easy to replace if
>> you have some skills
>
> Hmm... which skills. Ordering parts and soldering are no problem, but
> I don't know the nature of this board. Soldering a multilayer PCB
> without knowledge of its design is new to me.
>
> Peter

True. I didn't have to do it (yet!)...but i guess if the problem are leaking
caps, it shouldn't be too difficult. In fact, you have nothing to loose:
The board now doesn't work, so if replacing caps goes wrong, it still won't
work, which means that basically you can't break anything, you just have the
chance to repair :)

SleeperMan wrote:
> In fact, you have nothing to loose:
> The board now doesn't work, so if replacing caps goes wrong, it still won't
> work, which means that basically you can't break anything, you just have the
> chance to repair :)

Nahh... There's plenty of other reasons for it to behave strange. I
changed the PSU to a quality Enermax and now it runs fine. I changed it
back again to the normal Macron MPT-400 and it still runs fine. Weird....
Sometimes computers are like plants... talk to them and nurse them a
little and they get better :)

Peter

Peter Mogensen typed:

> SleeperMan wrote:
>> In fact, you have nothing to loose:
>> The board now doesn't work, so if replacing caps goes wrong, it
>> still won't work, which means that basically you can't break
>> anything, you just have the chance to repair :)
>
> Nahh... There's plenty of other reasons for it to behave strange. I
> changed the PSU to a quality Enermax and now it runs fine. I changed
> it back again to the normal Macron MPT-400 and it still runs fine.
> Weird.... Sometimes computers are like plants... talk to them and
> nurse them a little and they get better :)
>
> Peter

True...i think maybe replacing the caps would be last solution before you
ditch it...

PC Ninjas wrote:
> Soyo motherboards are notoriously finicky, simply installing the
> cards in a different order could cause this. Unplug, and reset the CMOS
> for starters, with maybe just the video, one stick of ram, keyboard.
> Even if it doesnt post, try again later - my Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum
> used to do all kinds of strange things, but I was overclocking.

I do no overclocking. Plenty of cooling. All cards are seated the same
place as always. Only difference is a bit of dust cleaning.

Peter