bill

I am trying to format my D: drive (using DVD) by get an error message saying
disc is damaged.
I have been able to format in the past, can anyone help

Thanks
--
bill

Try another disk!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to format my D: drive (using DVD) by get an error message
>saying
> disc is damaged.
> I have been able to format in the past, can anyone help
>
> Thanks
> --
> bill

bill

I've tried 5 & get the same message
--
bill

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Try another disk!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to format my D: drive (using DVD) by get an error message
> >saying
> > disc is damaged.
> > I have been able to format in the past, can anyone help
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > bill

Bill

If you are trying to format a rewritable DVD, you must use DVD software to
complete the task.. you can't use XP format utilities to do this, which is
what I suspect you are trying to do..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to format my D: drive (using DVD) by get an error message
>saying
> disc is damaged.
> I have been able to format in the past, can anyone help
>
> Thanks
> --
> bill

You only format floppies, hard drives, USB flash drives, CD-RWs, DVD+RWs,
DVD-RWs and DVD-RAMs. You DO NOT FORMAT CD-Rs, DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs.

> I've tried 5 & get the same message
> --
> bill
>

> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Try another disk!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to format my D: drive (using DVD) by get an error message
>> >saying
>> > disc is damaged.
>> > I have been able to format in the past, can anyone help
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > bill

If you want to use a CD-R as another hard drive you format it before hand
for packet writing! I do it all the time.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> You only format floppies, hard drives, USB flash drives, CD-RWs, DVD+RWs,
> DVD-RWs and DVD-RAMs. You DO NOT FORMAT CD-Rs, DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs.
>

> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've tried 5 & get the same message
>> --
>> bill
>>

>> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>>
>>> Try another disk!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

CD-Rs on a WRITE ONCE media! If you format it, you can not use it. You
should be using CD-RWs.

> If you want to use a CD-R as another hard drive you format it before hand
> for packet writing! I do it all the time.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> You only format floppies, hard drives, USB flash drives, CD-RWs, DVD+RWs,
>> DVD-RWs and DVD-RAMs. You DO NOT FORMAT CD-Rs, DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs.
>>

>> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I've tried 5 & get the same message
>>> --
>>> bill

I guess you don't know about packet writing software such as Nero InCD and
Roxio's Drag To Disk!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

http://pages.prodigy.net/jdjd/cdr/packet.htm

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> CD-Rs on a WRITE ONCE media! If you format it, you can not use it. You
> should be using CD-RWs.

>> If you want to use a CD-R as another hard drive you format it before hand
>> for packet writing! I do it all the time.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>> You only format floppies, hard drives, USB flash drives, CD-RWs,
>>> DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs and DVD-RAMs. You DO NOT FORMAT CD-Rs, DVD+Rs or
>>> DVD-Rs.
>>>

>>> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I do knoiw about Drag to Disk and InCD! It is still recommended that your
use CD-RWs instead od the write once CD-Rs.

>I guess you don't know about packet writing software such as Nero InCD and
>Roxio's Drag To Disk!
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> CD-Rs on a WRITE ONCE media! If you format it, you can not use it. You
>> should be using CD-RWs.
>>

>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> If you want to use a CD-R as another hard drive you format it before
>>> hand for packet writing! I do it all the time.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message

You get 250 meg more on CD-R's. If you are doing archival storage (vs.
temporary file saving) - why use CD-RW's at 540 meg vs. CD-R's at 790 meg?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>I do knoiw about Drag to Disk and InCD! It is still recommended that your
>use CD-RWs instead od the write once CD-Rs.

>>I guess you don't know about packet writing software such as Nero InCD and
>>Roxio's Drag To Disk!
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>> CD-Rs on a WRITE ONCE media! If you format it, you can not use it. You
>>> should be using CD-RWs.
>>>

>>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

keith

> CD-Rs on a WRITE ONCE media! If you format it, you can not use it. You
> should be using CD-RWs.

I suspect Richard meant CD-RW's

>> If you want to use a CD-R as another hard drive you format it before hand
>> for packet writing! I do it all the time.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>> You only format floppies, hard drives, USB flash drives, CD-RWs,
>>> DVD+RWs, DVD-RWs and DVD-RAMs. You DO NOT FORMAT CD-Rs, DVD+Rs or
>>> DVD-Rs.
>>>

>>> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Yves, we've pointed out why you are wrong on this before, but (big
sigh)

You CAN format CDRs. Granted, you can't do it in InCD, but other
packet-writing utilities let you do it with no problems.

On Thu, 5 May 2005 14:26:55 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
<yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

>You only format floppies, hard drives, USB flash drives, CD-RWs, DVD+RWs,
>DVD-RWs and DVD-RAMs. You DO NOT FORMAT CD-Rs, DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs.
>

>"bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've tried 5 & get the same message
>> --
>> bill
>>

>> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>>
>>> Try another disk!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "bill" <bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

WRONG. You can format it using Drag-to-disc and then continue writing
to the CDR until it is either full, or you decide to "finalize" it, at
which point the CDR is closed to further writing.

Quit stating falsehoods as facts, please.

On Thu, 5 May 2005 14:56:42 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"