Large Drives on XP Pro Sp2

If I have SP2 installed and an up-to-date atapi.sys driver and want to add a
third harddrive but one that will be over 137 GB, do I need to create the
registry key shown below or will the atapi.sys driver handle the drive's
full 250 GB without adding the registry key?

Registry Settings
System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
Value Name: EnableBigLba
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

tia,
ah

It should exist.

"Shieber" <shieber4@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If I have SP2 installed and an up-to-date atapi.sys driver and want to add
> a third harddrive but one that will be over 137 GB, do I need to create
> the registry key shown below or will the atapi.sys driver handle the
> drive's full 250 GB without adding the registry key?
>

> Registry Settings
> System Key:
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
> Value Name: EnableBigLba
> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
> Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
>

> tia,
> ah

Thanks. Right now, Prior to connecting the new drive, the key doesn't show
now. I'm about to install and don't know if the key is necessary with SP2.

I am running Intel's Application Accelerator-Raid Edition and the mobo is an
Abit AA8, so the BIOS supports large drives.

I just wasn't sure if the key had to be created before I installed or if it
would cause problems to create it if the OS would handle the drive without
it.

I thought the key had to be created for older systems but the key was
unnecessary after SP1. After all, why would anyone want to turn off the
ability to do 48-bit LBA? It's only the new drive that is run 48-bit--right
:-\ ????
sh
> It should exist.
>

> "Shieber" <shieber4@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> If I have SP2 installed and an up-to-date atapi.sys driver and want to
>> add a third harddrive but one that will be over 137 GB, do I need to
>> create the registry key shown below or will the atapi.sys driver handle
>> the drive's full 250 GB without adding the registry key?
>>

>> Registry Settings
>> System Key:
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
>> Value Name: EnableBigLba
>> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
>> Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
>>

>> tia,
>> ah

Andy

On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:54:57 -0400, "Shieber" <shieber4@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Thanks. Right now, Prior to connecting the new drive, the key doesn't show
>now. I'm about to install and don't know if the key is necessary with SP2.

Only Windows 2000 requires EnableBigLba.

>I am running Intel's Application Accelerator-Raid Edition and the mobo is an
>Abit AA8, so the BIOS supports large drives.

IAA is supposed to supply its own 48-bit LBA capability.

>I just wasn't sure if the key had to be created before I installed or if it
>would cause problems to create it if the OS would handle the drive without
>it.
>
>I thought the key had to be created for older systems but the key was
>unnecessary after SP1. After all, why would anyone want to turn off the
>ability to do 48-bit LBA? It's only the new drive that is run 48-bit--right
>:-\ ????
>sh
>"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> It should exist.
>>

>> "Shieber" <shieber4@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> If I have SP2 installed and an up-to-date atapi.sys driver and want to
>>> add a third harddrive but one that will be over 137 GB, do I need to
>>> create the registry key shown below or will the atapi.sys driver handle
>>> the drive's full 250 GB without adding the registry key?
>>>

>>> Registry Settings
>>> System Key:
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters]
>>> Value Name: EnableBigLba
>>> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
>>> Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
>>>

>>> tia,
>>> ah

Cool. So I can just ignore it and WinXP sp2 will handle it. Good to know.

sh